Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #57
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA

We love the new truck. It's made me re-evaluate some thoughts on 1/2 ton towing vs 3/4 ton.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Nice, and not too heavily suspended. Decent ride? Love the Laramie upgrades.

Does it have tow mirrors? Power-fold? We couldn't get power fold with tow mirror option so am wondering if you have checked into after-market power fold mirrors? I can't seem to find them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #59
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Nice, and not too heavily suspended. Decent ride? Love the Laramie upgrades.

Does it have tow mirrors? Power-fold? We couldn't get power fold with tow mirror option so am wondering if you have checked into after-market power fold mirrors? I can't seem to find them.
It rides really nice thanks to the D load range tires and soft suspension. The Power Wagon probably rides softer than most 2500's because the springs are so soft to allow for greater articulation off-road. That's also the reason they suffer a payload hit. But it's what we wanted.

It doesn't have tow mirrors, but has power fold. This is a current issue. It had every option I wanted but those. Still, I went for it because I bought used, and it was the first one I've seen configured the way I wanted it without the silly graphics in months.

It was one owner and custom ordered according to build sheet, it might be that selecting power fold removes tow mirrors.

1AAuto had power fold tow mirrors in stock. They temporarily stopped selling them after several customers had problems with the motors. They said they were getting them back in stock this month with the issue fixed. I've been looking, but they haven't yet.

I would like to hold out for power fold. But if they are not available in the next couple of weeks, I am just going to move forward and purchase the manual fold tow mirrors.

Next weekend I plan to head to some scales and see where everything is at. I have 600lb bars coming from e-trailer to replace my 1000lb bars for the Reese. Measurement wise the truck is level with about an inch more height out back but the Airstream's hitch is 7/8th of an inch to high than the back. So I need to tinker with it some more, but I'm going to wait till I go get new weights.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #60
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Nice rig and ...winch!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quite a drop to that hitch shank. Leverage.

I'd rather have the Reese 42995 hitch receiver on there than the factory piece. Still doubt the factory piece is as substantial. And given the leverage I'd consider additional bracing. Is your approach of lightest bars what Thomson recommends?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
It rides really nice thanks to the D load range tires and soft suspension. The Power Wagon probably rides softer than most 2500's because the springs are so soft to allow for greater articulation off-road. That's also the reason they suffer a payload hit. But it's what we wanted.

It doesn't have tow mirrors, but has power fold. This is a current issue. It had every option I wanted but those. Still, I went for it because I bought used, and it was the first one I've seen configured the way I wanted it without the silly graphics in months.

It was one owner and custom ordered according to build sheet, it might be that selecting power fold removes tow mirrors.

1AAuto had power fold tow mirrors in stock. They temporarily stopped selling them after several customers had problems with the motors. They said they were getting them back in stock this month with the issue fixed. I've been looking, but they haven't yet.

I would like to hold out for power fold. But if they are not available in the next couple of weeks, I am just going to move forward and purchase the manual fold tow mirrors.....
I love the power fold option of our Ram tow mirrors on our 2016 but talk about strange mirrors to get used to!

I'm still not 100% comfortable when using these mirrors in either tow mode (flipped up) or even in regular mode.

I have taken pride in my ability to adjust the regular (non tow) mirrors of car properly for years to eliminate blind spots. It has always allowed me a grasp of whatever is happening behind me at a glance with ease.

With the mirrors on this truck, I'm kind of at a loss as to the correct setup.
I'm getting there but it has taken me time and some adjustment! It is the convex smaller mirror that baffles me and throws me off... I adjust the main mirrors just as I did before so that I can see a car approaching from a side lane transition from the inside rear view mirror into both inside and outside mirrors to the outside mirror only. The convex mirrors kind of pick up everything outside of that for now but as I said, I'm still struggling.

I'll figure it out...

Bruce
Old 03-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

I'd rather have the Reese 42995 hitch receiver on there than the factory piece. Still doubt the factory piece is as substantial. And given the leverage I'd consider additional bracing. Is your approach of lightest bars what Thomson recommends?
The Reese receiver or any other aftermarket would likely hang lower and would hinder the off-road capability of the truck.
I have not had any troubles with the class 4 factory receiver on our truck.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I just keep my Ram tow mirrors in the tow position for solo. I have to admit the passenger side I'm always adjusting because when passing cars I can't tell as well as the drivers side when I'm far enough past to pull back into the lane with enough clearance to the passed vehicle. I didn't seem to have this issue with my Tundra's tow mirrors.

I set my convex mirrors so I can see the trailer's wheels so when turning I can tell the trailer tires will clear.

Kelvin
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Nice to know that I am not the only one who has issues with the passenger side mirror. I put an adjustable spot mirror between the two mirrors to bridge the gap that the stock mirrors have. Doesn't look pretty, but it works great imho. On a side note had to take the AS to the dealer to get some recall work done. It was a 200 mile round trip and the PW returned 12 mpg. I thought that was rather impressive.

Zane and Diane
Old 03-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I've been using the mirrors in tow mode recently while not towing just to get used to them.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

The Power Wagon has the Ram 2500 receiver hitch which is quite robust. An Airstream isn't going to come close to challenging it's strength.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #68
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Scales tell the tale. An upgrade on my CTD 2500 made a difference. Far easier now to transfer weight to Steer Axle. It's the length of the drop shank that was questioned.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #69
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
It's the same hitch in the same position as the previous truck. Well I adjusted the head tilt to move weight forward onto the truck. It's a 4 1/2 inch drop with the hitch head I have: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...s/RP63971.html

I'm going to replace it with this Titan since it's designed for a 2 1/2 inch receiver. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP54977.html

I don't need all that drop though.

You can see in these photos how it sits without W/D and with. My Airstream sits an inch higher already and I'm seriously considering doing the Dexter lift, just had a friend install it. And we've smashed steps twice by accident with our boondocking adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-23-15.38.18.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	259748   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-26-09.24.16.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	259749  

Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Will be interested to hear about the differences in road going feel and performance (steering and braking) versus the previous pickup.

I get passed on a regular basis by lifted pickups pulling (usually) toyhaulers. Above 67-mph. My opinion of them is low. Not including you or your rig. My impression is that it appears that no feedback thru steering equates to "all is good". I avoided the choice of a Freightliner with bigger motor and more gears for the KW T660 I'm in . . can thread a needle with the steering, so to speak.

This concern goes double with a travel trailer (of whatever type), IMO. Tire pressure on the TV is the hardest thing to get right. Most choose too high. Finding the lowest number per axle and working upwards, slightly, is my preference. But, the better the suspension and steering design, the easier this is to get "right".

Unrelated, do you think this TV will send more gravel towards the TT?