Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
My X TV is a '94 burb with 198000 , burns no oil , and never been apart , still running strong .

Change those fluids.... amen

Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
ticki2 ,that is the only way to perform the fluid change with the pan off and the filter removed ,yet you must know that that is not the way its done alot of times ,Jiffey lube ,fastlane oil change places and some independent shops do not
do it that way ,thats a fact ,in addition on TWO GUYS GARAGE tv show
they did a flush on the show using their new machine .no pan was pulled ,cleaned or otherwise touched in the process ,all for millions to see how not to do it .you guys are fortunate to have good results and Im sure
others have as well .That doesn't change the fact that alot of people have not had such good results . Suit yourselves on this one ,I do auto truck repair
for a living 30 years now ,and do not need a trans failure on my hands nor
do i want an unhappy customer .The case studies Ive seen speak for
themselves .to each his own exactly.

Scott

Old 01-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #17
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I would not change the engine oil to Synthetic, it will soften a lot of gunk that is on and around seals and gaskets, leaks will develop.

I'm only saying because you already have 90K, if you change over when new under 10-20 thousand miles it would be ok, but not at 90K.

Use dino changed out every 3,000.

Use Synthetic in the rear end. In fact you can use it in the power steering.

I agree don't flush the trany change it out dropping the pan, some torque converters also have a drain plug not sure if yours does.

Last add a Magnifine inline trany filter, this is a magnetic filter that will catch filing from the trany, it goes upfront by the trany cooler lines coming from the the trany there are two one in one return. There is a probally a rubber hose up there just cut and slip it in.

Change this one every 25K.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would use whatever filter GM suggests for the 8.1L. There is no cross filter for the 8.1L from the base PF series to the UPF (Ultraguard) filter line. The reason they have it for the 6.0L is because it shares elements found in the Vette. The 5.7L as well. There may be a 3rd party filter that offers similar specs to the UPF line....WIX, Mobil, etc...DO NOT USE FRAM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! Fram filters are prone to problems. I read all over the Internet about them and thought, yea right. We'll, I've been changing oil on cars for over 20 years, so I have some clue how it works....we'll I put a Fram on a Honda Accord V6. The location is near the passenger side wheel well. Oil stream down the side of the car happened that I noticed when I got home. Looked at the filter, on tight, filter had an internal failure and matched nearly everything that was said on the Internet about them. I was lucky I caught it. I lost about 2 quarts and could have had engine seizure. I'd stay way clear of them and do a search on the web. You'll be shocked what you find......

One thing I forgot to mention is make sure that you change out your coolant after about 3-4 years...I'd suggest every other year, even though it's 5yr 100k stuff if you stick with Dexcool. The DexCrap (dexcool) coolant that comes as a factory fill in all GM cars and a number of others literally turns to sludge in the cooling system and blocks heater cores, radiators, etc.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Trans flush question

Scott,
I hope this is still on topic - kinda?
Back in the day, we used to flush the trans after a filter change by disconnecting a cooler line and placing both ends in a bucket. Fill trans. We then started the engine and pumped out the fluid, refilling & repeating until clean fluid - usually 2 gallons. Then refill. Never allow pump to continue running dry.
We never used a power flush machine, relying on the trans pump to flush. Do you see any issues with this method?
Dave
Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
My TV is an '01 2500HD 6L 4x4

Wayne -

You got yourself a HONEY of a TV there. Had a friend that bought your truck (with the 8.1L) - drove it to 180K, then sold it. Has been kicking himself ever since...

I got the 6L since the tow time is the DECIDED minority - bought mine NEW - ('01 2500HD 6L 4x4). That said, Kelly - my TV, pulls SilverToy ( '92 34' Classic LTD) REALLY well!!! Some of the huge uphills can bring the speed down, but then I'm not in a hurry....

Couple of things to consider as possible upgrades to the terrific truck:

#1 Rain guards for the windows - the curvature at the top of the truck is considerable - about $100 - install yourself
#2 Schefenecker Mirrors - they slide out WIDE so that you can see ALL of that great AS you are pulling, including the tires! - about $500 installed
#3 LED light stick for the Rear - additional lighting to suppliment the VERY HIGH mounted 3rd OEM brake light - about $100 installed
#4 XM radio - can be moved to the house, truck, and the AS as well - $30 on up (subscription required)
#5 "AirStream" bumper step - Tell EVERYONE about your AS!!! - $100 or so.
#6 Mudflaps - those tall tires can throw a LOT of stones, mud, water, etc.... all over those sexy quarters.... $60 or so
#7 "AIR" sticker - Help support the forums here, be PROUD of that! - $30

Drive that truck for a while, then change what you feel will add to the truck, change what will help put your mind at ease, and DRIVE it!!! 90K is still a young truck. Enjoy! Photos!???

Great to have you Wayne, be sure to post all your questions - AS Q's, TV Q's, whatever.... There are LOTS of great helpers here.... on ALL subjects

Best regards!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #21
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Scott,
I hope this is still on topic - kinda?
Back in the day, we used to flush the trans after a filter change by disconnecting a cooler line and placing both ends in a bucket. Fill trans. We then started the engine and pumped out the fluid, refilling & repeating until clean fluid - usually 2 gallons. Then refill. Never allow pump to continue running dry.
We never used a power flush machine, relying on the trans pump to flush. Do you see any issues with this method?
Dave
That is fine to do it that way on the diesel forum it is highly recomended.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
That is fine to do it that way on the diesel forum it is highly recomended.
I feel better, I've done hundreds that way. Just the way I was taught.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
What filter do I use for the 8.1L?
Thanks,
Wayne
Manual calls for AC Delco PF454 which is not a bad filter. Amsoil calls for the EAO59 which is a darn good filter or WIX #42998. Mobil One makes a good filter but I can't remember the number right off hand. Amsoil has recommended not only their EAO59 filter but also the Hastings and WIX filters. I don't think you can go wrong with any that I mentioned.

One post recommended that you stay away from FRAM and I totally agree due to several independent tests on the internet which show the filter cut in half and cases where a card on the filter end on the inside failed.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I feel better, I've done hundreds that way. Just the way I was taught.
Out of those hundreds of times , how many times did it cause a problem ?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have always heard that flushing a transmission can cause the loosening of particles which might find their way into some of the modules or internals. I have always dropped the pan and cleaned the metal filings off the pan magnet, replaced the filter then pan gasket, and filled her up with new fluid. I've never worried about some of the ATF left in the converter. This saves on the amount of ATF used and if you change often enough then it isn't a problem.

My 2500hd with Allison transmission gets a spin-off filter every 10,000 miles and a fluid change every 30,000-35,000 miles. The Allison has an internal filter as well but when I change it for the first time, I will add a deeper aluminum pan and extended filter.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Fyrzowt ,yes thats fine to do it that way ,as the idea is for the trans to pump out the oil ,refill it thru the fill tube as normal .not forcing new oil into the trans thru a cooler tube .Ive done it with power
steering as well .you do it the way the trans normally does it on its own and you'll be fine .It doesn't cause a problem because the trans is doing the pumping of the fluid the way it was designed to .It surely causes problems the inline flush way ,seen it many times on low mileage transmissions ,not just old high milers .

Scott