Old 02-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Cars are cars....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C
I think a lot of the Fords and Chevy's are made in Mexico now.
Ford trucks are made in Louisville, KY and they now make F-150s in the old Mustang plant in Dearborn, MI. The new mustang is made in Flat Rock, MI at the union Auto Alliance plant.
Dodge makes the Dakota and Ram 1500 in Warren, MI. One block from Detroit on Mound Rd. The majority of the Ram 2500's come from St. Louis. Some of the 2500's are built at a plant in Saltillo, Mexico, (I have been to the engine plant right down the road from the truck plant). The Durango is made in Newark, NJ.
GM makes the full size pick-ups in Pontiac at the GM-Truck and Bus Facility. The GMC/Chevy Suburban and Cadillac Escalade are made in two places; Arlington, Texas and Silao, Mexico. The majority coming from Arlington. The GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer is built at a plant in Oklahoma City, OK. The Colorado/Canyon trucks are made in Shreveport, LA in a brand new plant that they built next to the old S-10/S-15 plant. The old plant is going to be used to build the all new Hummer H3, (but you did not hear that from me).
GM just revamped the ENTIRE plant in Lordstown, OH to make the new Chevy Cobalt and a Pontiac sister car. They are almost done building an ENTIRELY new plant just outside of Lansing, MI to build an ENTIRELY new SUV that will be branded with the Pontiac/Saturn/Buick nameplates. I do know that this plant will have an area that they use to install factory hitches, I have assisted in preparing the Skilled Trades training for this plant.
You can see where a vehicle was made just by reading the new vehicle sticker. You can also see the amount of U.S. content is in a car from the sticker.
There are quite a few power train facilities and parts plants in Mexico.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Ron, My 1995 F-250 was made in Canada using US parts. FYI Not sure if they still are made there.
I read that the imports were undersprung. They must have addressed this issue.

Chris
I am pretty sure that your truck was built in the union plant in Oakville, Ontario. Nice truck. Well-built. Not sure if they are still making trucks there or not. They are making something there, I know that.
I am not sure about how softly-sprung the Japanese brands are. I know a guy that hauls an Argosy 22 with a Toyota Tacoma. He uses an Equalizer hitch so I am not sure if he knows how soft it could be.
I try to buy union every chance I get now that they have some pride in what they make and how they make it. 20 years ago I had a different attitude.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:49 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
More GM Truck & SUV Info

GM also makes full size pickups in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Flint, Michigan, and in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. They also build the Suburbans, Yukons & Tahoe in Janesville, Wisconsin. GM also builds the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/Saab 9-7 at its Moraine, Ohio plant.

GM builds Suburbans, Avalanches, and the Buick Rendezvous' in Mexico. The Pontiac Aztek was also built in Mexico.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just a note to tell anyone interested. I have a new Toyota Tundra step-side and it pulls my boat or trailer with no problems. It is quiet, well built and fun to pull with. I have a 1978 Argosy, 24 ft. I don't know that I would want to pull a new AS or anything weighing 6,000 lbs with this truck, but it is more than a match for what I have. The paperwork states it is a 7/8's 3/4 ton truck that will tow 11,700 lbs. My trailer is 3,850 not loaded, so I think I've got it covered. By the way, I also own a 2000 Ford 150 with 200,000 miles on it and a 2000 Dodge Caravan with 159,000 miles on it, so I think I've done my part for buy American. Oh yes, I just bought a Suncruiser pontoon boat made in America, with a trailer made in Oklahoma. I'm doing what I can to help the economy. Then there is that foreign gas that my Toyota seems to love. HUM? Judy
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
GM also makes full size pickups in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Flint, Michigan, and in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. They also build the Suburbans, Yukons & Tahoe in Janesville, Wisconsin. GM also builds the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/Saab 9-7 at its Moraine, Ohio plant.

GM builds Suburbans, Avalanches, and the Buick Rendezvous' in Mexico. The Pontiac Aztek was also built in Mexico.
My point was that there are seldom and of them that are made in Mexico.
I have complete faithn and cofidence in my UAW built vehicles. They are well-built and I will never own anything but a UAW built car or truck. It is what puts food on my table and on my neighbors tables.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #48
Alaskan Camper

Fairbanks , Alaska
The point is that a lot of what you call American made are actualy made, assembled, or manufactured someplace other than the U.S.

Toyota has eight manufacturing plants and other facilities in the U.S.. Toyota also employoys more than 190,000 Americans in the U.S. and last year Toyota built more than one million vehicles in the U.S. using many U.S. sourced parts. Toyota is also going to be opening two new plants in the U.S.

I don't work for Toyota or any other car manufacturer.

My point is Toyota is putting food on the table for quite a few Americans as well and I don't think that should be discounted.

I also own a 1968 F250 with a 360 and it is still going strong.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #49
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Wait till you get a shot at the new Tundra - looks awesome...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #50
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
jUEL,
Did you find out what the towing weight is for the Toyota?
I see these guys got carried away on their F150's

let me know. Thanks.

Happy trails.....

Safari-Rick
05 Dodge Dakota Quad
05 AS Safari-LS

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #51
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The number I have seen is 10,000 lbs.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote