Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
... With no trailer I've seen 20mpg a couple of times using real fuel, but with Minnesotas' ethanol-gasoline it usually provides 12 city and 15.5 highway, towing a trailer makes that 8-10 mpg. Phillups-66 brand gives more mileage up here for some reason, been loyal to them since gas hit $3!!
Interesting.... Just got myself a new/used Expedition. Basicly a rebodied F-150 and I'm hoping it will get better than the 10.5 I got with the old E-150 van.
A TSB came across the either a few weeks ago telling us to inform our customers that some of the engine performance/mileage concerns are directly related to fuel quality.(duh) It contained a link to this page. Top Tier Gasoline
The thing I found the most interesting is that some of the gas companies who advertise how clean and green their fuel is aren't on the list. Take it for what it's worth.
Strangely enough Phillips is one of the cheapest in the area, is on the top tier list and works good in the wrecks I drive.

Just my two cents,

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
My Diesel Excursion still rocks when it comes to mileage. 22 mpg @60MPH (no trailer), 17mpg @70MPH (no trailer), 15mpg @65MPG (with SOB trailer). When towing Airstream mpg's go up at least 1mpg!!
Yes, Airstream claims a 20% increase in fuel mileage (@70 MPH) when compared with towing a box type trailer. They claim a 30 to 40% savings.

I suspect the type and style of the TV would have an influence on those numbers. Airstream didn't elaborate to my knowledge.

With the higher cost of fuel these days it's all goodness.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
I'm running with the same set-up as Silver Cabin: 3.73 rear end, 20" wheels. I don't know how many miles you all have on your vehicles but I'm barely at 15,000 (23,000kms). I'm expecting better fuel economy the more this truck breaks in. One thing I don't like about my trip computer is that it displays an "average" fuel economy since the day I drove it off the lot as opposed to real time. I know on most vehicles the computer can display the current fuel economy if wanted. I do enjoy the "XXX kms until Empty" feature though - it's very accurate.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG911
One thing I don't like about my trip computer is that it displays an "average" fuel economy since the day I drove it off the lot as opposed to real time. I know on most vehicles the computer can display the current fuel economy if wanted. I do enjoy the "XXX kms until Empty" feature though - it's very accurate.
MG,

On mine, if you hit the reset button, it resets the average and gives you an instantaneous readout of the current fuel economy. Then it starts the average over again from that point. Mostly I use the XXX miles to empty feature as you--that's the best feature of the computer.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Silver..I'll have to try the reset feature as that never occured to me. Also, I was running the A/C the whole trip - I assume that didn't help fuel economy.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just towed a 2004 28 safari and a brand new f150 lariat crew cab with 5.4 and tow package using e85 approx 50 % from Holand michigan to San Francisco and the computer is showing 12.4. It is good to see this thread as the new 150 set up properly is an excellent choice from my experience. I am leasing and plan on new every 2, so warranty is always in place. Other dicussions seem to place heavy emphasis on diesel, I tried to buy one but the noise and odor and the math did not add up on a lease. I will be towing about 10k/year and this gas trck did the trick. It will burn anything, carrying vodka on board in case we run low. Just kidding.