Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OH, oh...be nice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not any Manufacturers fault if I get bad diesel. Which appears to be the case

I'd agree only if other vehicles are similarly affected by that same fuel. Which does not appear to be the case thus far. I'm in full agreement about being cautious despite laws about aftermarket products not being legally liable by their installation and use. Proof does not seem to matter.

I had a Class IV hitch receiver installed on my Dodge at time of purchase by the dealer. Of the bolts, two are horizontal and a particular installation kit must be used. As one nut on one bolt has since disappeared the hitch receiver is near useless. I went to the local Dodge dealer and was given sharp talking run around. Probability versus liability being posed: The "warranty" on this "accessory" having expired (as if it were a chrome door handle cover) I'd no choice but to purchase and have installed another receiver and then try to collect money from the original installing dealer. Well, that won't happen. A Class V is on it's way. The liability by the corporation is moot when the expense of justice makes it a laughable "option."

Americans may the right of free speech, etc, but they've no right to court access. Which is where what matters is ostensibly decided outside of the legislature.

But of course I thought of the runaround of a $20k engine bill on much the same grounds . . stonewall the customer even though it likely wouldn't stand up in court (Ford will just drag it out and they know how. Not that the other companies are any better in general).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Not any Manufacturers fault if I get bad diesel. Which appears to be the case

I'd agree only if other vehicles are similarly affected by that same fuel. Which does not appear to be the case thus far.

36,000 miles here and a lot of traveling and towing from the Florida Keys to Colorado.....No worries here.

I'm glad your worrying for me.

SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I love my 2012[IMG]/Users/steveknapp/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2011/12/19/20111219-074224/IMG_0029.JPG[/IMG]
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
That didn't work!!
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Some of these guys in the ford forums are having their ford dealer install the titan tanks. I guess the IDS software actually supports all the titan and transfer flow tank sizes. I would imagine a lot of it is with the dealer themselves. Good dealers are going to work with you and bad dealers are going to make your life miserable over small issues... That goes for F, G, D, or T.

Shane, so you didn't install the high idle switch after all?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Some of these guys in the ford forums are having their ford dealer install the titan tanks. I guess the IDS software actually supports all the titan and transfer flow tank sizes. I would imagine a lot of it is with the dealer themselves. Good dealers are going to work with you and bad dealers are going to make your life miserable over small issues... That goes for F, G, D, or T.

Shane, so you didn't install the high idle switch after all?
Yes I did have a Ford diesel tech install the high idle mod. I need that,...no question. I do extended idling for my business. Guess everything has risks,..but never got any literature from Ford specifically saying it would void the warranty as does the aux tank. Plus, like you said I have a great dealership....let's just say..." I know people".....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Where specifically did you read the tank voids the warranty? Is this something your dealer is pushing? It's common for the CA dealers to ask you to sign a disclaimer that lifting your truck voids drive train and suspension related warranty coverage. But I've never read anything in the truck forums regarding a tank replacement voiding anything.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Where specifically did you read the tank voids the warranty? Is this something your dealer is pushing? It's common for the CA dealers to ask you to sign a disclaimer that lifting your truck voids drive train and suspension related warranty coverage. But I've never read anything in the truck forums regarding a tank replacement voiding anything.

It is in the 2011 diesel supplement book that comes with the NEW truck. Did you not get one with your new truck?

Give me a sec...I'll try and locate the link.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I have the 5th printing. The only mention of a aux fuel tank is in the trouble shooting section;

If engine cranks but won’t start

Prolonged starter cranking (in excess of 10 seconds) could cause damage to the starter motor.
• Check the fuel gauge. You may be out of fuel. If the gauge shows that there is fuel in the tank, the trouble may be in the electrical system or the fuel system. If equipped with an auxiliary tank, be sure that the tank control switch is set for the tank with fuel and not on an empty tank.

I do see warnings & restrictions on the use of biodiesel though.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #31
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I didn't notice this when I originally read it (because I don't have this option installed) but a dual fuel tank is available from Ford. This must be for the chassis builders, there's no room for another tank under this truck (inside the frame rails).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual fuel.png
Views:	87
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	149496  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
It says somewhere an aux tank could condensate and cause water in fuel, which would be the aux tanks fault....just can't find it.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432