Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Turbo diesel is always going to outperform gas going up hills, period. End of debate. Simple math, 800ft/lbs of torque versus 400ft/lbs. The turbo has a better power band.

Sure, my 5.7L Hemi v8 makes 415ft/lbs of torque at 4000RPM give or take and the 2015 6.7L Cummin's produces 865 lb-ft @ 1,700 rpm with a Asisn transmission. That's a lot of torque for going up a hill at low end.

I'm sure the Ford and GM diesels perform similarly.

I've been debating how bad I want to go faster up hills. Didn't bother me till I got out west.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
rss

2016 28' International
Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Just traded my 2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/ 7650# chassis / 3.73 rear end, for a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel because I traded up in trailers. Had a 2014 FC 25B. Now have a 28 International. I needed to upgrade my tow vehicle because the Ford's rear axle load was too often near the 4050# rating with the 25' FC. The rated hitch weight of the 28 is 950#, 115# more than the FC 25B.

Loved the Ecoboost and it was absolutely reliable, quick, comfortable and pulled like a diesel. Got around 11.5 mpg towing at 62 mph. Around town it got 13 mpg. As a negative, I did not like My Synch, which was very glitchy on my vehicle. The Ram is comfortable (rear air suspension option helps significantly), powerful, and feels stable and "in control". Towing the International 28 at 65 - 67 mph I'm getting 14 mpg w/ the Ram. Oh, and Chrysler's newest uConnect is miles ahead of the 2013 My Synch...an important feature for me when I'm spending 8 hrs in the cab. Had I gone with a 27' Airstream (lower hitch weight) I would have kept the Ford and been very happy to have saved a lot of $$$ and still had a very capable tow vehicle.

So, I feel the F150 can be a good choice properly equipped. I would spec a "properly equipped" F-150 as follows: 3.5L Ecoboost, rear axle capacity as 4800# (i.e. HD Payload Pkg option), 3.73 rear end and 36 gal. tank). Based upon my recent search a "properly equipped" F150 is hard to find on a dealer's lot a would likely have to be ordered. MSRP would be around $50k for an XLT. But, if your budget is flexible, you can't go wrong with a 3/4 Diesel. After owning the Ecoboost, I wouldn't recommend a gas 3/4 as a step up as the GM and Ford I tested suffered in comparison to the EcoBoost.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Turbo diesel is always going to outperform gas going up hills, period. End of debate. Simple math, 800ft/lbs of torque versus 400ft/lbs. The turbo has a better power band.

Sure, my 5.7L Hemi v8 makes 415ft/lbs of torque at 4000RPM give or take and the 2015 6.7L Cummin's produces 865 lb-ft @ 1,700 rpm with a Asisn transmission. That's a lot of torque for going up a hill at low end.

I'm sure the Ford and GM diesels perform similarly.

I've been debating how bad I want to go faster up hills. Didn't bother me till I got out west.
I was in the exact same boat. Just decided I wanted the 3/4 ton diesel, so I got a 2012 Ford F250. It is overkill for my 25 ft. flying cloud but I don't care. I think reading too many posts on here ragging on the half ton trucks got to me.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #18
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun View Post
I was in the exact same boat. Just decided I wanted the 3/4 ton diesel, so I got a 2012 Ford F250. It is overkill for my 25 ft. flying cloud but I don't care. I think reading too many posts on here ragging on the half ton trucks got to me.
I hope my input hasn't been "ragging". I've tried to provide some good input based on my experience, likes, and preferences. I'll always suggest a 3/4-ton truck if you're pulling something more than a utility trailer. Gas or diesel is also a personal choice, but my preference and recommendation for towing will always be a diesel. 3/4-ton diesel just works better (1-ton+ if you need it).
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
I know your trying to decide on a 3/4 ton, but I'll share our 1/2 ton experience.

We recently traded our 2013 F150 5.0 2wd crew for a 2015 3.5 EcoBoost longbed crew 4wd MaxTow. I am very happy with the new ride. We tow a FC 27FB, and the new F150's lighter weight, stiffer frame, more powerful EcoBoost, 157" wheelbase, and MaxTow goodies made our first test tow noticeably "better" than with the '13. Better as in easier acceleration, more stable tow @ 65 on the highway, less downshifting in the Florida mountains and less squat when hitched. More details here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-141137.html

I shopped F250 KR or Lariat 6.7 Powerstrokes hard (sorry I'm just a Ford guy) and for less $$, this F150 has 1907 lbs of payload and a bigger cab, taller bed, and much updated everything over the aged F250........ Now when the new '17 F250 comes along............. sigh.......... By the way, some loaded F250s I saw didn't have any more payload than 2k.

Seriously though, we bought an Airstream that can't weigh over 7600 lbs specifically as a 1/2 ton towable coach, and we're doing it handily with our new "Chip".
Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #20
BW1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
3/4 Ton

Sounds like I can't go wrong with any 3/4ton, gas or diesel. I might even consider one 3 or 4 years old to save some money.

After towing with my 2010 F150 crew cab 4x4 with tow package 5.4L and having a brake down off the highway with trailer in tow (was the A/C compressor and serpentine belt), and also a cracked camshaft (another time),
I want to try to eliminate these types of troubles.

Not sure if I should look at another Ford or not.

The search will be on for the next couple of weeks/months!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Really Perry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Do some math. You won't save money with a diesel with gas as cheap as it is. You could get a used gas hog 3/4 ton and figure out how many miles you can travel on that $40-$50k you will save on a used gasser over a diesel. I paid $7000 for my used V10 Excursion so that leaves me a lot of money to buy gas. Don't know if you can get a pickup that cheap or not. The rednecks have to have trucks here in the south so even a junk one is expensive. Diesels are nice but it is just as easy to gear down. HP is HP.

Perry
Wow Perry. A little biased are you? Did you look at the Consumer Reports write-up on an Excursion? I'll stop there, but really? HP is HP? On a one-for-one equation, sure, but it's what you DO with that HP that makes the difference.
Let's not throw torque to the side of the road. It's definitely a factor.
Sorry..been there, done that with a gasser. Never going back to a screaming engine under the hood going up any REAL incline. Trust me when I say it's DAMN NICE to be able to hit the throttle under a load, and it takes off w/o screaming bloody murder. You can't touch a diesel when it comes to sheer GRUNT. They have what it takes to get the job done.

Like my First Sergeant always told me: "Come correct, or don't come at all." You just can't beat the torque of a diesel, period, end of statement.

To the OP, I had gas 3/4 tons for years, and recently went diesel after getting just over 8mpg pulling my 28' AS thru a 16 day, 16 state trip out W. I was getting just over 15 on a good day w/o a load. With my Duramax, I am now averaging 14.7 towing, and 21.4 w/o. Study the numbers to YOUR situation. If you're REALLY going to be using it to TOW, diesel is your choice. Don't buy a diesel if you're not planning on USING it. Diesel engines need to be worked. They are not a short drive, daily driver vehicle by any means.

I'm not in agreement with the crowd on here that's comfortable pulling an eight thousand pound trailer with a 1/2 ton vehicle. The "ride" of a 3/4 ton feels ok to me!
YMMV
Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
Just went through all this.Ended up with 2500 with Duramax/Allison. Gas is fine the torque is important the more you have the better it will pull (gas milage is another issue)
You have to look at weights of the axels how you will stop etc.
The engines for the most part will pull what you have but we too have other stuff.Including three goldens! The tongue weight goes on to the TV so you can get an engine to pull it and the trailer. However if you look at the GVW and GCVW you can get overloaded in a hurry. Its about being safe and stopping as well as pulling.Axel weights,weight on tires,distribution of weight all need to be consider in MHO
Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

I certainly don't need duiesel, nor would I want it.

Perry has it right....unless you toe 55k a year it takes way too long to amortize.

But....as always the case.

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”

-------------------------------------
10yr old 2500 8.1 Burb 10.7 daily, 11.8 w/AS hi-way 55mph

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
We went the other way. Had a F350 (with the 460) and it would pull anything. As we got older we moved down to the F250 to pull our 23FB. Now we have an Eddie Bauer 27 with one of the highest tongue weights, mine is 950, measured, and empty. So what are we pulling with? A 2014 FX4 with the DSI 6 inch lift, 20 inch wheels, 35 inch tires, 3.55 and 5.0. About everything wrong in a recommended tow vehicle. The door sticker gives us 1500 pounds payload. Wife, Myself, and dog weigh 350. The ARE camper shell is 180. But guess what? With care not to overload we travel within limits for max capacity in every way, Total combined weights, axle max weights, tongue weights, etc. I am 65 years old and the truck, although comfortable, is not exactly my style. So why did I buy it? Was blessed with a 15 year old late in my older years, she trumps every calculation about GVWR, tongue weight, and axle capacity. And according to her, I got max points for style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	249587  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As mentioned, some new Ford F150's have a payload similar to some F250's, an Ecoboost engine with plenty of torque at low rpm, yet have roughly 2,000 lbs less truck to move and stop. Seems like a great match for most Airstreams, especially if you have other needs for the truck besides pulling your Airstream down the road to a destination.

Ram 1500 has a small diesel option with similar power band but greater fuel economy but lacks the load capacity, don't be surprised if they greatly improve it to keep up with Ford. Nissan's small Cummins is on the way with more diesel power and payload; it's preliminary complaint is about styling. We'll see if that offsets capability; there are some other trucks that won't win a beauty contest either.

The difference between so-called 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks is growing smaller in terms of towing an Airstream to a destination with a reasonable amount of gear, especially of those who may have the truck for other daily use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been down this road twice with an F150. Excellent truck but not quite up to snuff when pulling a 30' Airstream. Finally I bought the bullet and have gone with an F250 diesel. All problems solved.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I just spent last week boondocking with a fellow full time Airstreamer on his second year. He upgraded from the eco-boost to an F250. Payload issue was getting to him. For him the Ecoboost performed well, but let's be honest, which Doug is not being. To get the best payload means getting a configuration most don't want. My friend had a platinum and just kept hitting that wall. Now he's got a platinum F250 with no issues.

I'm quite fond of my heated/cooled leather seats. And with two small children can't live with anything less than a crew cab.

And I'm a half ton owner who full times, and I see the merits of a 3/4 ton.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Bold has some great points. Really, suggestions on here are based on that individual's needs and budget. In my case, I have many uses for my F250 diesel besides the camper chores. It's a daily driver... pulling a gooseneck trailer, a flat bumper pull, a car trailer now and then...from firewood to lumber and vehicles...plus just riding to work. My truck is an 02 7.3 powerstroke and fits many uses. Last four trucks have been diesel starting with an 86 F250. My fuel mileage is great...towing or not. For now I would rather have an older ..well cared for diesel. Seems most of the discussion is about moving from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 (diesel)...seldom do folks go the other way. That may be a clue. There are some "older" diesels that, if well cared for, would make a great alternative. It's not hard to find owners who can recommend the most reliable,trouble-free models over the last 10 or 15 years. Most of us buy and drive what fits $$ and need. Do what the "gut" says and forget what others want you to do.
Happy camping
Dave