Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
More Truck decisions... on the small side

A little advanced planning never hurt anyone :-) And a little help goes a long way.

Yes I have read some of the towing posts but I think every choice has it's own peculiarities.

I will be in need of a new TV in a little over a year.

Right now I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sportrac with 163,000. I would say that it is at it's limit of towing capacity with my 1961 Bambi. Weight loaded around 2600 to 2700 lbs. I do fine towing at 63 mph 90% of the time. Wolf creek pass, Eisenhower and a few others make it work some but I can still get over the top without killing myself. (45 to 50) It is the down that often worries me. Although that is better since I put in a new brake controller. I do not use a weight distribution hitch but intend to have one with the next TV. To date I have never had any problems with being pulled or pushed by the trucks going by. My impression is that my two vehicles are pretty well suited. I have even had to do some small emergency stops with no difficulty. (Nothing over 45)

That said, yes, I do realize I am at the edge... hence

I have been considering the Nissan Frontier... I really don't like a BIG truck, plus my Bambi is so small it would be ridiculous. Here are some of the specs on the Nissan. I was unfortunately surprised to find that the Frontier weighs LESS than the Sportrac. Unfortunately whatever vehicle I choose is my only vehicle so gas mileage would be nice. I am primarily a "green" person so a diesel I could run BIO in would be nice but might be out of my price range.

First the 2007 Sportrac then just in case... the 2007 F-150 then the 2007 Frontier King Cab Nismo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	127
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	34719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	133
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	34720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	153
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	34721  
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The F150 is probably the same price as the Exploder, has a much larger engine, and much higher tow capacity. In the real world, it will probably get around 15-17 mpg, and about 12 towing. The Exploder will probably get 16-18 mpg, and maybe 12 towing, possibly 13. The Nissan, based on anecdotal experience with our son's Xterra, will get maybe 18 mpg, and 12 or so towing.
So, not comparing purchase price, the trucks are fairly equal in mpg, with the pickup (of course) being able to tow and carry more. You can get EPA mileage estimates for each vehicle, spec'ed the way you want them, for comparison.
The Nissan's tow capacity is probably the most "real" of the three, but some checking of all three will be in order, as "everybody" fudges their tow numbers.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The F150 is probably the same price as the Exploder, has a much larger engine, and much higher tow capacity. In the real world, it will probably get around 15-17 mpg, and about 12 towing. The Exploder will probably get 16-18 mpg, and maybe 12 towing, possibly 13. The Nissan, based on anecdotal experience with our son's Xterra, will get maybe 18 mpg, and 12 or so towing.
So, not comparing purchase price, the trucks are fairly equal in mpg, with the pickup (of course) being able to tow and carry more. You can get EPA mileage estimates for each vehicle, spec'ed the way you want them, for comparison.
The Nissan's tow capacity is probably the most "real" of the three, but some checking of all three will be in order, as "everybody" fudges their tow numbers.
Thanks,
I felt the same about the tow capcity numbers. My only real problem with getting the f-150 is probably one not many others have a difficulty with. Being 5' tall (and an appropriate weight) I alway feel as though I am rattleing around in it.
Again, thanks. Luckily I have plenty of time to consider.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGypsy
Thanks,
I felt the same about the tow capcity numbers. My only real problem with getting the f-150 is probably one not many others have a difficulty with. Being 5' tall (and an appropriate weight) I alway feel as though I am rattleing around in it.
That's why they now have adjustable pedals.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Look at the Ford F150

I would take a serious look at the F150. If you could move your timing up you could take advantage of the "0%/60 months" financing available now through the 3rd of April. You should be able to get one at or near "invoice" and still get the financing deal. Here in California there a plenty to choose from on the lots. Going into the tax season lull (April 15) the consumers are in a very good negotiating position.

I also believe that most of the 1/2 ton trucks on the market are good values, and because Ford likes to be at the top, their trucks usually look good too.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi airstreamgypsy...

just looked at your earthship site...

wow, very very cool.

love to see it sometime while camping.

another towing option to consider...

look for a last generation f-150...

these were smaller looking 1/2 tons, with plenty of towing capacity for your trailer...

F-150 Online Photo Gallery - 2001 F-150 SuperCrew

much less moola than a new one and lots of them out there....

also the last generation dodge dakota would work or even the toyota tundra...

not many choices in smallish with diesel....

only the sprinter van comes to mind which isn't 4x4 and isn't great in snow...

i'd love to see a diesel in the new f-150s but it would not be bio-d friendly...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote