Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollySteve View Post
I know one thing. Debates about Airstream quality control aside, that is one tough trailer. I can't imagine any SOB surviving that intact.
It is indeed impressive that the these trailers take the beating in a rollover and stay intact. But it's also true it seems that they become an insurance writeoff after a rollover, so in the end, I reckon I would not care if my destroyed trailer went away on a rollback towtruck, or went away in a million pieces in a dumpster. Either way, state farm is gonna write me a check.

As to this whole idea of renting out RV trailers, I know a guy who's father owned a rental place back in the 60's thru the 80's. Among other things, they rented pop-up campers ( Apache ). We were talking about it one day, and he just shook his head.....he said it was shocking how many of those things got damaged or destroyed. The good news was they were cheap to buy, and he actually was able to charge quite a bit for rental, so he just kept replacing them. He said almost everyone that rented them bought the optional damage waiver at the time of rental. Other than the hassle, he didn't get hurt on the $$ when a client damaged one.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
On the other hand our Airstream can take some damage and still be worth fixing, paying only a small deductible. The average SOB cannot take the damage, and if it does it will probably be totaled by the insurance company anyway because it is not worth repair expenses. We still have our Airstream, the SOB owner takes the associated costs of buying a replacement with what is most probably a pretty small insurance check.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Sad for all involved ...
Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #32
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I once saw an accident where the chell of a 34' was ripped entirely from the chassis.... It was a spectacular accident. The topside was crumpled up like a Jiffy Pop!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #33
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Ouch. I agree with the point that anything you can walk away from is AWESOME.
If that was a White Box trailer, it would have detonated on the way down the embankment. POOF!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
Ouch. I agree with the point that anything you can walk away from is AWESOME.
If that was a White Box trailer, it would have detonated on the way down the embankment. POOF!
Really, this one looks in pretty good shape. The trailer is a wood framed Nash 26x, built by Northwood Industries, at least 8 years old.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...te-138907.html
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Facebook quote..."I watched this happen! The Airstream started rocking, then flipped, and yanked the front car off the road...pretty intense and scary. As mentioned though everyone involved was totally fine, only bruises and small cuts. Major props to the first responders that were at the scene within a couple short minutes!"

TV was a Tahoe.
Someone may have mentioned this, but Airstream2Go also rents out the GMC Yukon Denali as a tow vehicle. You can also see the Airstream2Go logo on the back of the tow vehicle.

What's interesting is that both the Airstream AND the Yukon were completely turned around! They're both facing opposing traffic! From the report above, my suspicion was that the trailer flipped (unknown cause) and the driver pulled hard to the right and braked. You can see the skid marks off the road next to the injured people. When the Yukon went off the road, the Airstream kept moving forward, but spun the Yukon (and itself) around when it went off the road.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Analyzing this the best I can, I think they got tired of the air conditioning hump on the roof and found this the best way to flatten it. Experience, speed, hitches and trucks had nothing to do with it. But then . . . we can speculate.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
It is indeed impressive that the these trailers take the beating in a rollover and stay intact. But it's also true it seems that they become an insurance writeoff after a rollover, so in the end, I reckon I would not care if my destroyed trailer went away on a rollback towtruck, or went away in a million pieces in a dumpster. Either way, state farm is gonna write me a check.

As to this whole idea of renting out RV trailers, I know a guy who's father owned a rental place back in the 60's thru the 80's. Among other things, they rented pop-up campers ( Apache ). We were talking about it one day, and he just shook his head.....he said it was shocking how many of those things got damaged or destroyed. The good news was they were cheap to buy, and he actually was able to charge quite a bit for rental, so he just kept replacing them. He said almost everyone that rented them bought the optional damage waiver at the time of rental. Other than the hassle, he didn't get hurt on the $$ when a client damaged one.

I looked up what Airstream2Go charges and a take and go for 7 days is $6,650. That's for a 28 International, includes the SUV
Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Until it DOES happen to you....

People who have been on the forum for a while know that I rolled one two years ago. To this day I am not sure how it happened because it happened in the blink of an eye. I've got a dozen theories, no proof. I'll never know exactly what did it, but I do know that I have to adapt or quit towing. I'm not naturally humble, but that humbled me. I had almost new Michelins on both the truck and the trailer. A good hitch (Reese Dual Cam). I was 5 miles under the speed limit of 70. I didn't even sneeze and then the fertilizer impacted the ventilator. Since that accident I've slowed way down and I've tried to really concentrate ON the driving and the road. That's HARD to do with so much beautiful scenery out there... but if the scenery is that compelling I can STOP for the day, unhitch and go back to see it again!

So if argue that a Pro-Pride or a Hensley or the "right" truck, or 10 trips to the scales can prevent an accident... you're optimistic.

Even slowing down cannot PREVENT an accident - it can only give you a few more seconds to react. And a few more seconds may get you stopped or out of the way.

It can also result in a whole lot less damage if your reaction time still is not good enough. I pulled into a new campground yesterday and met my next site neighbor. He was duct taping a window back onto his camper so I gave him a roll of Aluminum tape for a better seal.

Someone had run a red light and he "almost" got his truck stopped. The other guy got cited, he had a damaged front bumper and grill, his hood was held down by a bungee cord and two windows had popped out of his SOB from the force of the "bucking" while braking. All this happened ONE traffic light before the turn-in to the campground. The glass didn't break, the windows just popped part way out of their gaskets. Luckily he was only a few miles from home. This camping trip was to be a one week warm-up to prepare the family for a 20 state tour of three months. He'd had the camper less than a month.

I suggested a new ball, ball lock, and safety chains just for general purposes - after I saw the skid marks on the road... suggested a thorough inspection of the tires, which were 4 years old as he'd bought the trailer used. One look and he decided to make an appointment to have all six replaced. Smart man. I hope he can get his truck repaired and still get on the road in time. They've been planning for this for years.

Paula
Old 08-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
is this the same accident that was discussed last month ?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
People who have been on the forum for a while know that I rolled one two years ago. To this day I am not sure how it happened because it happened in the blink of an eye. I've got a dozen theories, no proof. I'll never know exactly what did it, but I do know that I have to adapt or quit towing. I'm not naturally humble, but that humbled me. I had almost new Michelins on both the truck and the trailer. A good hitch (Reese Dual Cam). I was 5 miles under the speed limit of 70. I didn't even sneeze and then the fertilizer impacted the ventilator. Since that accident I've slowed way down and I've tried to really concentrate ON the driving and the road. That's HARD to do with so much beautiful scenery out there... but if the scenery is that compelling I can STOP for the day, unhitch and go back to see it again!

So if argue that a Pro-Pride or a Hensley or the "right" truck, or 10 trips to the scales can prevent an accident... you're optimistic.

Even slowing down cannot PREVENT an accident - it can only give you a few more seconds to react. And a few more seconds may get you stopped or out of the way.

It can also result in a whole lot less damage if your reaction time still is not good enough. I pulled into a new campground yesterday and met my next site neighbor. He was duct taping a window back onto his camper so I gave him a roll of Aluminum tape for a better seal.

Someone had run a red light and he "almost" got his truck stopped. The other guy got cited, he had a damaged front bumper and grill, his hood was held down by a bungee cord and two windows had popped out of his SOB from the force of the "bucking" while braking. All this happened ONE traffic light before the turn-in to the campground. The glass didn't break, the windows just popped part way out of their gaskets. Luckily he was only a few miles from home. This camping trip was to be a one week warm-up to prepare the family for a 20 state tour of three months. He'd had the camper less than a month.

I suggested a new ball, ball lock, and safety chains just for general purposes - after I saw the skid marks on the road... suggested a thorough inspection of the tires, which were 4 years old as he'd bought the trailer used. One look and he decided to make an appointment to have all six replaced. Smart man. I hope he can get his truck repaired and still get on the road in time. They've been planning for this for years.

Paula

Paula great post and lots of good advice. One thing that I've learned is space is you're friend. As much space between you and the vehicle in front of you gives you more time to react.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
If my memory serves me well the truck/trailer speed limit on this grade is 40 mph (it may even be less). I have taken it many times in our rig and it is very easy to lose control of your downhill speed. Traffic is always thick there which also causes even more confusion (cars going 70-80 mph). This grade is a major white knuckle ride if you are going to fast (much less being an inexperienced tower).
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
is this the same accident that was discussed last month ?
SUV towing trailer tumbles off Hwy. 101 on Cuesta Grade | Local News | SanLuisObispo.com