Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
More Mirror Questions

2007 Suburban

My first tow with the FC this weekend I used my old clip-on extension mirrors which I had used with the 7-foot wide Takena trailer. These mirrors in addition to being small, didn't allow me to really see directly behind my 25' FC without craning my head far left. The clip-ons just don't extend far enough out from the body of the car.

New mirrors are in order. I like the idea of the OEM trailer mirrors that can be bought for my Suburban (~$400), but I haven't yet found any measurement of how far OUT they extend from the body. In pictures, they don't look like more than about 5" father than the stock mirrors. That really wouldn't be far enough, as far as I can tell.

The McKesh mirrors (or their clones) definitely can be made to extend way out, but then there is the added hassle of more "bolt on stuff to go camping." Considering all the hitch stuff that is new to this enterprise here, I am not nuts about more stuff to mount and dismount and store and so on.

How near to the trailer's bumper do you want to be able to see? I noticed that yesterday it was possible for a car to sneak up into my rear close enough that I couldn't easily see them unless going through a turn in the road.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I really like these, you do have to clamp them on but I can see behind my AS for the first time!

http://www.jrprvinc.com/catalog.php?link=aero
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
More Mirror Questions

Greetings redwoodguy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
2007 Suburban

The McKesh mirrors (or their clones) definitely can be made to extend way out, but then there is the added hassle of more "bolt on stuff to go camping." Considering all the hitch stuff that is new to this enterprise here, I am not nuts about more stuff to mount and dismount and store and so on.

How near to the trailer's bumper do you want to be able to see? I noticed that yesterday it was possible for a car to sneak up into my rear close enough that I couldn't easily see them unless going through a turn in the road.
The McKesh mirrors aren't really all that much of a process once you have them installed and adjusted for the first time. I have a set for each of my tow vehicles -- you can often find good prices on a used set at the Wally Byam Caravan Club International flea market held at the annual International Rally -- for three sets, I probably paid about the cost of one new set. Once adjusted, it is about a three-minute job to attach or remove the mirrors from both doors. I have utilized McKesh mirrors for more than 20 years without problems . . . . and like Zip Dee, Hensley Manufacturing continues to support the older models of McKesh mirrors with replacement parts.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
2007 Suburban

The important thing is to have an unobstructed view of adjacent lanes so that lane changes and merges can be accomplished safely. Any mirror with an outside edge that extends past the width of the trailer, even slightly, will allow this. The further it extends, the fewer head movements you will require to get a complete picture. No mirror will allow you to see a small car riding close to the trailer's bumper unless it extends out farther than the 3" or so that most states allow.

I have the OEM motorized trailering mirrors on my 2004 suburban, very convenient, push a button and they extend. They don't go out as far as I would really like but I wouldn't want extra pieces to bolt on either. I have slide-on extension mirrors for my pickup and while they work, they're a hassle. It's theoretically possible to get ticketed for having extended mirrors when not towing which is also something to consider.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Jammer---How far out do they actually go when extended?

Blmitch - which mirror on that page are using?

Overlander - thanks. I like the flexibility of those McKesh type mirrors. Lotsa people swear by them.

Yes - with my clip-ons, I can currently see the adjacent lanes with no trouble. Man, if I couldn't see that, I would not have towed!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy
... How near to the trailer's bumper do you want to be able to see? I noticed that yesterday it was possible for a car to sneak up into my rear close enough that I couldn't easily see them unless going through a turn in the road.
There's a good reason truckers sport signs that advise if you can't see their mirrors they can't see you. As you noted, your trailer is noticeably wider than your other one was. Most late model Airstreams are 8 1/2' wide, most full size American pickups/SUVs are about 6' wide and smaller cars are... smaller, so they can easily lurk behind you, out of you sight. Even with mirrors that extend as far as practical and still be legal, a significant blind spot exists behind the trailer. In theory, the straight through design of the Airstream should permit the driver to see something behind the trailer using the rearview mirror. The deep tinted stone guard and mirror height in some TVs often makes this impractical. Some have mounted a rear facing camera on the TT with a small monitor on the dash or visor of the TV.

Some jurisdictions require that a officer 200' behind in your lane can see your left mirror. From the figures above, your TT is about 15" wider than your Suburban on each side. Your extension mirrors need to exceed that dimension. I like the ones that extend that extend 18-20" and have a decent size glass. McKesh easily meets that criteria as do the Grand Aero also mentioned in a previous post.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
These are the best I've ever used. And really easy to install and uninstall and adjust.

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-Products.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm another who swears by McKesh... Very good visibility and easy to install and remove...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've never used the McKesh...let me ask a question....EVERY mirror I have used which has nylon straps loosens up when wet. Nylon expands and stretches when wet and requires retensioning. Then, when the nylon drys out after a rain, the straps are TIGHT...so tight they stress whatever they are clamped to.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up mirror mirror on the Burb..

Quote:
2007 Suburban

My first tow with the FC this weekend I used my old clip-on extension mirrors which I had used with the 7-foot wide Takena trailer. These mirrors in addition to being small, didn't allow me to really see directly behind my 25' FC without craning my head far left. The clip-ons just don't extend far enough out from the body of the car.

New mirrors are in order. I like the idea of the OEM trailer mirrors that can be bought for my Suburban (~$400), but I haven't yet found any measurement of how far OUT they extend from the body. In pictures, they don't look like more than about 5" father than the stock mirrors. That really wouldn't be far enough, as far as I can tell.

RWG,
If these are the mirrors of which you speak.
They extend about 22" from the window glass to the outer edge of the mirror. The upper glass is heated and has the LED TS arrow. They do not have the power folding option and are quite different from the OEM ones that do.

Rock solid, no wind noise, work really well.

Do the google thing for Suburban towing mirrors, many options available.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07359.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	146963  
Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It seems like, whatever way you go, you have to give up something. I like the idea of the OEM extendable mirrors....but what I really like about the Aero 2s is:
1)Easy to set up and great, solid mounting system
2)Once set....never move.
3) can utilize the power folding system in drive throughs, parking lots, campsite, etc.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I've never used the McKesh...let me ask a question....EVERY mirror I have used which has nylon straps loosens up when wet. Nylon expands and stretches when wet and requires retensioning. Then, when the nylon drys out after a rain, the straps are TIGHT...so tight they stress whatever they are clamped to.
In our experience, we have never had an issue with the McKesh mirrors when they get wet. We've never felt the need to tighten them. That being said, if they did need to be tightened, it's a simple twist of the turn key ratchet mechanism that's used to tighten them... As to stressing whatever they are attached to...I doubt that would be an issue because they are hooked in two points...over the bottom edge of the door and over the lower edge of the window between the glass and the door frame. And both points are padded. Nothing there is going to give. They come off by simply releasing the ratchet key mechanism that tightens them with a press of the thumb. (They do depress the rubber seal on the window, but it returns to its original shape once the mirrors are released.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
In our experience, we have never had an issue with the McKesh mirrors when they get wet. We've never felt the need to tighten them. That being said, if they did need to be tightened, it's a simple twist of the turn key ratchet mechanism that's used to tighten them... As to stressing whatever they are attached to...I doubt that would be an issue because they are hooked in two points...over the bottom edge of the door and over the lower edge of the window between the glass and the door frame. And both points are padded. Nothing there is going to give. They come off by simply releasing the ratchet key mechanism that tightens them with a press of the thumb. (They do depress the rubber seal on the window, but it returns to its original shape once the mirrors are released.)
Ya know what would be beneficial to the folks on the forum? (since the McKesh and the Aero 2s are each a little pricey) would be for a couple of members who live close to each other or travel together, to swap for a trip.
I think they are definitely the predominate 2 brands as far as functionality and quality, in the add on arena.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #14

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g

Ya know what would be beneficial to the folks on the forum? (since the McKesh and the Aero 2s are each a little pricey) would be for a couple of members who live close to each other or travel together, to swap for a trip.
I think they are definitely the predominate 2 brands as far as functionality and quality, in the add on arena.
I love my Aero mirrors! The stay in place, little vibration, quiet and hold up very well in 45 mph + wind! I've had 4 different styled mirrors and these were expensive but now I'm happy!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
These are the best I've ever used. And really easy to install and uninstall and adjust.

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-Products.html
These get so many raves I decided to give them a go. About $90 on Amazon. I like the easy looking install and the ability to use my power fold-in feature in close quarters.

I'll let you guys know how they work out. Once again, great information and help here. I had searched for trailer mirrors and saw a million kinds but not those!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
These get so many raves I decided to give them a go. About $90 on Amazon. I like the easy looking install and the ability to use my power fold-in feature in close quarters.

I'll let you guys know how they work out. Once again, great information and help here. I had searched for trailer mirrors and saw a million kinds but not those!
I don't think you'll be sorry.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #17

Olathe , Kansas
Let us know how you like them!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Not had a problem with the straps being wet, and they've been wet A LOT this last year. The shape of the door on my Sienna does leaves a bit of a gap between strap and door skin, allowing the wind to get in there and cause some vibration. I solved it by using a small block of foam (actually cut from a child's swim training vest) behind the strap. This increases the strap/skin gap but reduces the vibration, as well as the chances of the strap vibrating against the paint work.

McKesh work well for me, they're stable at speed and the best bit is the ease of taking them off.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Update 12-23-11 I got my new Aero 2 mirrors today. They are fantastic! I am quite impressed with the engineering of these mirrors. This is not your run of the mill junk that usually leads to disappointment. This is carefully engineered stuff that is made well and is robust.

After the one-step assembly of screwing the mirrors to their shafts, I mounted them on the car, which takes about 30 seconds. They clip onto the top edge of your existing mirror with two very robust threaded clamps. Then the same clamp assembly has another threaded clamp to slide the rods out to whatever distance you want. Presto - in a few second you are ready to roll. And, I can use my power fold-in functions on the mirrors!

I only found one thing to haggle about. They give you a nice canvas storage bag, but you would have to disassemble the mirror from the shaft each time in order to fit them in the bag. That's too much work IMO, so I won't use the bag. No big deal, but they could have made the bag 4 inches longer and scored an A+. I give them an A for sure!

I paid $92 the pair on Amazon. Very happy.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy
Update 12-23-11 I got my new Aero 2 mirrors today. They are fantastic! I am quite impressed with the engineering of these mirrors. This is not your run of the mill junk that usually leads to disappointment. This is carefully engineered stuff that is made well and is robust.

After the one-step assembly of screwing the mirrors to their shafts, I mounted them on the car, which takes about 30 seconds. They clip onto the top edge of your existing mirror with two very robust threaded clamps. Then the same clamp assembly has another threaded clamp to slide the rods out to whatever distance you want. Presto - in a few second you are ready to roll. And, I can use my power fold-in functions on the mirrors!

I only found one thing to haggle about. They give you a nice canvas storage bag, but you would have to disassemble the mirror from the shaft each time in order to fit them in the bag. That's too much work IMO, so I won't use the bag. No big deal, but they could have made the bag 4 inches longer and scored an A+. I give them an A for sure!

I paid $92 the pair on Amazon. Very happy.
No disassembly required. Just spin the head around so the pointy end points to the clamps.