Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Mopar-Benz No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
That company was called Cerberus. Here is the details
Daimler dumps*Chrysler on Cerberus, taking loss to do so - May. 14, 2007

So according to the CNN article:

"What Daimler gains from the deal is closing the door on ongoing losses and liability for future health care costs, for Chrysler's unionized employees and retirees, estimated to be as high as $18 billion... costs than are adding thousands of dollars to each automobile made in North America."

I've said it before, forget the cost of labor in Mexico or Asia what is sinking the US automakers (and enabling foreign companies to successfully set up shop in the US) is the retirement agreements and most importantly the sky rocketing healthcare costs that nobody foresaw when the agreements were made.

The only thing that will put the traditional "Big Three" back on a level playing field is government intervention in this issue. Eventually the Feds are going to pay the bill if the companies go broke anyway. What I found particularly interesting was that John Snow, the chairman of Cerberus was the U.S. Treasury secretary from 2003 to 2006. Conspirousy theory or does he maybe have some "inside" information and or contacts?

On a more immediate note, I wonder what this deal would do to the import of the Sprinter vans? That seems to be a niche market dominated right now by this vehicle. And along those lines, what about the original name plate for the Sprinter, Freightliner?
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
After the sale to Cerberus is complete, Daimler will still be a minority stockholder in Chrysler, so cooperation remains possible.

The Sprinter is a Mercedes model originally developed and sold in Europe. Freightliner is owned by Daimler and, I believe, is not part of the Chryler sale. The Sprinter was a nice way for Daimler-Chrysler to avoid the costs of developing a new van for America, so perhaps what seems to have been mostly a marketing decision might continue with continuing Daimler and Chrysler cooperation.

A new model of the Sprinter is being introduced in Europe. I do not recall if it is a 2007 model or is to appear as a 2008 model.
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Freightliner was a subsidiary of Chrysler, and the Sprinter is a Mercedes Truck that is rebadged. Are you sure the Freightliner subsidiary is not included in the sale? They make hundreds of thousands of commercial trucks for the North American market.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Freightliner was a subsidiary of Chrysler, and the Sprinter is a Mercedes Truck that is rebadged. Are you sure the Freightliner subsidiary is not included in the sale? They make hundreds of thousands of commercial trucks for the North American market.
Terry,

Are you sure? Freightliner was originally part of Consolidated Freightways, the trucking company, and CF sold it many years ago to Daimler (maybe as long as 20 years ago). I thought that Freightliner was a separate subsidiary of Daimler and not part of Chrylser.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Fascinating what you learn as a result of this forum:

Our History – Freightliner LLC

So it would appear that Freightliner will remain a division of Daimler and I expect the Sprinter will again be rebadged although I'm sure it won't receiver the Mercedes moniker. The fear there being that a commercial vehicle tie in would tarnish the luxury image of a Mercedes Benz in this country. That and the fact Freightliner likely has more cache with the heavy duty truck market and MB dealers aren't equiped to deal with sales and service of fleet vehciles.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi mopar watchers...

one of the last/nice benefits to dodge from the d-c relationship...

the audi-vw-mercedes developed diesel cleaning technology got INTO the dodge trucks!

bluetec is being used in the 3/4-1 ton dodges with the new improved cummins burner....

news: DaimlerChrysler unveils Dodge Ram Heavy Duty BLUETEC truck

Dodge Ram cleanest Heavy-duty Diesel Pickup Truck - Top Speed

again the cummins is a top dog...

clean, lean and STRONG.

cheers
2air'

and it's confusing following the merger/buyouts when brand names and multinationals are involved internationally.

the 'freightliner' name was sold separately at various times from the engine, trucking, chassis and who knows what else angle...

Freightliner LLC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
brand names is tricky!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Positive. Freightliner was marketed by White Motor Company for many years as a White Freightliner. The two companies had a parting of the ways.
Chrysler is/was a division of Daimler, along with Detroit Diesel, Sterling (formerly Ford), Thomas Buses, and Western Star (also a former White alumnus).
BTW, Consolidated Freightways went out of business a few years ago, so Freightliner is the last vestige of that company.
I'm sure more knowledgeable heavy truck afficionadoes will be able to fill in more of the blanks.
Terry,

I remember the White Freightliner tractors, which then became Freightliners after the sales agreement expired, my father in law drove for CF, first in Portland, OR and then in So Cal, from late 1940's until he retired in mid 1980's. I remember the White Western Star tractors also. CF folded suddenly one day after many quarters of losses with many drivers on the road.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
According to Wikipedia the White Industries relationship went back to almost the beginning of the company.

Also, according to Wikipedia:
"White Motor Company became troubled in the 1970s, expansion into white goods and agricultural equipment consumed capital without producing a return, and the relationship with Consolidated Freightways became frayed. In 1974, the distribution agreement was terminated, and Freightliner Corp. began life as a freestanding manufacturer and distributor."

I remember owning a Gibson stacking washer/dryer and jokingly refering to it as a Freightliner

Looking back at the Frieghtliner history I see the company was bought by Daimler-Benz back in 1981; about seven years prior to the Chrysler deal. Geez, has it been that long
Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden

Looking back at the Frieghtliner history I see the company was bought by Daimler-Benz back in 1981; about seven years prior to the Chrysler deal. Geez, has it been that long
Make that seventeen years, the deal was in 1998.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Ah, thanks; I feel ten years younger