Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Mirrors for 2005 Expedition

My wife & I have a 2005 Expedition and just made a deal on our first Airstream (a 25' Safari) today. We're picking it up next week and hoping to be on the road shortly after that.

The challenge: I've been looking for tow mirrors that connect to the existing mirrors, but have not had any success (earlier Exp's had the same mirrors as the F150 - that has changed). Does anyone know of a source for these? or are they necessary?

Thanks!
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
You may get this advice from a number of those on the Forum, but I'd recommend the McKesh Mirrors sold by Hensley (or the generic equivalent, which can be picked up at Camping World or other locations). All extension mirrors that attach to your existing mirrors will help, but they will shake quite a bit at highway speeds. They are also limited in how far out they can reach and thus how much they help rear vision. The McKesh mirrors clip onto the door, one clip at the window opening and one at the bottom edge of the door. They have a greater reach (read this give better rear view) and they shake far less than the "clip on's". My only problem has been that on a couple of occassions the straps vibrated a speed, but a quick adjustment got rid of that problem. The McKesh mirrors will take a few minutes to set up, but then they go on and off in a matter of seconds, much faster than the old clip-on's I originally had.

I will also say that you can get mirrors that clip onto the front fenders. Some like them, but I couldn't consider them with the way the H2 hood opens, so I have no personal experience with them. Good Luck
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

The McKeshes' might work, but they sure look butt-ugly...

FWIW, I'm using the CIPA moulded "clip-on" mirrors. They don't really vibrate, and give me plenty of mirror to look down the side of our rig. And after we setup camp, they just stay on when we take day trips, run into town etc.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
The McKeshes' might work, but they sure look butt-ugly...
Beauty, as they say is in the eye of the beholder - to me the McKesh mirrors
look better than any clip-on, but to each their own.

I've received compliments on the McKesh's and several people have stopped me to find out more information about them, including one that wanted to upgrade from CIPA clip-on's, because the mirror was too small.

The biggest downside of the McKesh's (to me) is the price - certainly clip-on's will cost less and they seem to do the job acceptibly for many people. I got by with non-CIPA clip-on's for one season before I looked to upgrade. If price is a big issue for you (and isn't it an issue for everyone?), with a little patience you should be able to find a decent used set on eBay for quite a bit less than retail.

Well there you have it: one endorsement for McKesh, one for CIPA Clip-on's, and neither of us exactly answered the original question which I beleive was looking for "slip-on's" for an Expedition.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
McKesh Mirrors

I've used all kinds of detachable mirrors and the McKesh mirrors are, without doubt, the best I've had. Once they're set, it takes about ten seconds each to put them on. I didn't know about them until one day I came across a pair in a thrift shop for $15. I thought they looked sturdier than the CIPAs I was using so I bought them. Imagine my surprise when I found out how much they really cost.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Mirrors are not necessary. They are nice to give you a better view of what is following you since it is difficult to see past the trailer unless you are on a curve in the road. I figure I should not worry about them since I tow at legal posted speed limit. I pull off occasionally and let them pass if for some reason I am going slower. They are a little help in backing up but not nearly as good as having the wife out there really seeing what is going on and making sure you do not hit something. Standard hand signals are usually enough but I have seen some using radios.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

The law has something to say about mirrors

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/recvehicles.html

Quote:
Rear View Mirrors:
When the trailer or its load affects the driver's view to the rear, the law requires two rear view mirrors, one on each side of the towing vehicle, to give the driver an unobstructed view of the highway at least 200 feet behind.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I personally throw in an endorsement for the CIPA's. It's what I have and they work on the 2004 Expy. CAVEAT: Get TWO of the metal hooks and the attach just fine to the mirror and won't break the bank. The factory will mail you extra hooks, should you need them, for free. Just call their 800 customer service number and they'll set you up.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
If your Expedition mirrors have an angled light/turn signal under the mirror like mine, it is going to be difficult for the "slip-on" mirrors to stay on.

I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
XL Clip On Tow Mirrors.

Thanks for the info on the different options. I found "XL Clip On Tow Mirrors" by Prime Products for about $15/ea. They have four clips that fasten to the top & bottom edges of the mirror housing, and two rubber straps that hold the unit in place. I'm driving around with one mounted to see how they might work... it seems to be doing fine so far. The dealer had the CIPA units, but recommended these.

My Expy does have the turn signal under the mirror, and the cladding at the door bottom - both apparently complicate/limit the options. Will let you all know how the XL's perform.

We pick up our Safari on Tuesday! Will also look for some radios or a "crash course" in hand signals to assist with the backing.

Thanks for your help!

- Larry
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
If your Expedition mirrors have an angled light/turn signal under the mirror like mine, it is going to be difficult for the "slip-on" mirrors to stay on.

I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose.
And it is for this reason that the CIPA customer service recommended getting the extra hooks. The hooks have neoprene pads in them and they don't slip. They just clip onto the mirror and hang on.

John

2004 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer, Premiere package
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
McKesh Mirror for '05 Expedition with door cladding?

from Kistler: "I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose."

One of our mirrors was "lost" this summer while we were parked, and I've now purchased a set of McKesh mirrors. I have the same problem as Kistler with the lower door cladding and wondered what your experience has been. I'm considering cutting the cladding where the bracket would attach as it's plastic/rubber and should be okay with the cut.

Any experiences out there? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I hesitate to cut the cladding; am still living/travelling with the problem.

I wish someone would make a longer metal hook that would fit around under the cladding and attach to the metal bottom of the door.

I am about as far from a metal worker as you can get......McKesh should realize there is a market out there for a specialized (for Expeditions) hook.. I'd be willing to pay $5 apiece. I can imagine what cladding costs.

Kistler
Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Thanks! I was looking at the bottom and agree there should be an easy way to make an extension. I'll work on it and report back if there is a reasonable solution.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Another thought....perhaps....

Caught the tail end of this thread, and having just gone through all the various mirror iterations that there currently are for aftermarket "Tow Mirrors". The range in price is everything from $25 or so to over $500 or better.

Lots of clips ons with straps and ?, then there are the suction cup versions with can also include straps and the like, then there are the slide on versions that I occationally run over in I-40, and then there are the big Bolt-On OEM looking mirrors.

In addition to running over several of the slide on mirrors I have also seen many, tooooooo numerous to mention, on the shoulders of the interstates all over the SW. These experiences left me knowing that these methods were not for me, as I get a little upset when I pay for a product and it winds up falling off and not doing what it was supposed to. Really torx me off!!!!!

I went with the OEM look mirror, and found that I was able to get electric adjustability from inside the car - just like now with the smaller OEM mirrors. I also got the Heat feature because we get quite a bit of ice/snow and the OEM mirrors handled it great - that will continue. Additionally, for enhancement of safety and nightitme visibility, the mirrors now have integrated running and turn signal lights - in LED!!! That and 40% bigger glass, and the ability to pull them out and extend the field of vision considerably. All BIG PLUSSES - EVERY one!!!!!!

Ordered the mirrors Friday - should be here by wednesday. Plug and play! BTW - the maker is Schefenacker. They are top of the line and have a great Customer service reputation. Heck they have the install instructions on the web so I can see ahead of time if I can do it or not.... Helpful!

I got them through a local accessory place and I got a price that was 20% of the retail price - I thought that was good since EVERYONE else I spoke to (phone call or store visit) was adament that the retail price was THE price. Let 'em wait for my return phone call/visit - it ain't gonna happen!!

The bonus for me is that the mirror is there all the time - hiding in plain sight. Looks OEM and has all the bells and whistles. Heck I can tow anytime, anywhere, for ANY reason. Anybody got a reason???

Seriously, there are a LOT of ways to approach this mirror improvement problem. For me, the Schefeneckers were the only way to go. For others that desicion will be different. I just hope that you find everything you need, at a price you can live with.

Peace Out

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Axel,

On what type vehicle are you installing the TTT mirrors? I explored this option when initially looking as they looked like an excellent response. Unfortunately, they indicated the product was not offered for the 2005 Expedition (and that still seems to be the case judging from their website Telescopic Trailer Tow Mirror by Schefenacker). Ford changed the mirrors for the '05 Expedition so they were no longer the same as the F150, eliminating that potential source.

Also unfortunatelly, Ford, through its dealers, was no help in locating a "quality, OEM-look" mirror for trailering purposes. (That was my first attempt at finding something suitable.)

Recently, while looking at the Camping World on-line catalogue (after I'd already purchased the McKesh mirrors), they offer something that looks similar to McKesh but at a significantly lower cost. I can't comment on the relative quality, but anyone looking should check it out. Eagle Vision Portable Rear-View Mirror - Camping World

I'll be looking at making a piece to extend the McKesh lower fitting to reach the door panel. I don't think it will be difficult - just haven't reached that critical path item yet.

- Larry
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Words of encouragement to you

Kistler (aka another "Larry")

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Burb, 99...

99 -

The Schefeneckers are going on an 01 2500HD Burb, 4x4 - went back and forth a LOT before shelling out the $'s for these mirrors. They ARE expensive. They are also a quality piece of equipment.

Decided to go with them as they are full adjustable from inside, they have all the OEM features, and they add the safety of turn/running lights... Still the $ issue was a hurdle - a nearly 1 year hurdle! I looked all over, at seemingly every permutation, but I did want the look of permanence that a OEM looking mirror offers.... I have run over TOO many of the aftermarket clip/strap-on models to count!

Picked them up last afternoon, but have been unable to mount as the weather is ^&&%! Have 15" of snow on the ground, more on the way! Will just have to wait... Of course I want to take SilverToy out right after Christmas.... Gila Nat'l monument and Silver City. SilverToy in Silver City! Poetic or what?

Will report back after the mirrors are on the vehicle. Plug and play BTW. Will report again after the 1st tow...

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Based on recommendations here I purchased the Prime Products for my BMW X5 (E53) and couldn't be happier. They adjust to a place that works for me, they don't vibrate and they hold their adjustment.
2005 BWM R1200ST
1977 Cessna C177B
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote