Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Mirrors for 2005 Expedition

My wife & I have a 2005 Expedition and just made a deal on our first Airstream (a 25' Safari) today. We're picking it up next week and hoping to be on the road shortly after that.

The challenge: I've been looking for tow mirrors that connect to the existing mirrors, but have not had any success (earlier Exp's had the same mirrors as the F150 - that has changed). Does anyone know of a source for these? or are they necessary?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
You may get this advice from a number of those on the Forum, but I'd recommend the McKesh Mirrors sold by Hensley (or the generic equivalent, which can be picked up at Camping World or other locations). All extension mirrors that attach to your existing mirrors will help, but they will shake quite a bit at highway speeds. They are also limited in how far out they can reach and thus how much they help rear vision. The McKesh mirrors clip onto the door, one clip at the window opening and one at the bottom edge of the door. They have a greater reach (read this give better rear view) and they shake far less than the "clip on's". My only problem has been that on a couple of occassions the straps vibrated a speed, but a quick adjustment got rid of that problem. The McKesh mirrors will take a few minutes to set up, but then they go on and off in a matter of seconds, much faster than the old clip-on's I originally had.

I will also say that you can get mirrors that clip onto the front fenders. Some like them, but I couldn't consider them with the way the H2 hood opens, so I have no personal experience with them. Good Luck

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
The McKeshes' might work, but they sure look butt-ugly...

FWIW, I'm using the CIPA moulded "clip-on" mirrors. They don't really vibrate, and give me plenty of mirror to look down the side of our rig. And after we setup camp, they just stay on when we take day trips, run into town etc.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
The McKeshes' might work, but they sure look butt-ugly...
Beauty, as they say is in the eye of the beholder - to me the McKesh mirrors
look better than any clip-on, but to each their own.

I've received compliments on the McKesh's and several people have stopped me to find out more information about them, including one that wanted to upgrade from CIPA clip-on's, because the mirror was too small.

The biggest downside of the McKesh's (to me) is the price - certainly clip-on's will cost less and they seem to do the job acceptibly for many people. I got by with non-CIPA clip-on's for one season before I looked to upgrade. If price is a big issue for you (and isn't it an issue for everyone?), with a little patience you should be able to find a decent used set on eBay for quite a bit less than retail.

Well there you have it: one endorsement for McKesh, one for CIPA Clip-on's, and neither of us exactly answered the original question which I beleive was looking for "slip-on's" for an Expedition.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
McKesh Mirrors

I've used all kinds of detachable mirrors and the McKesh mirrors are, without doubt, the best I've had. Once they're set, it takes about ten seconds each to put them on. I didn't know about them until one day I came across a pair in a thrift shop for $15. I thought they looked sturdier than the CIPAs I was using so I bought them. Imagine my surprise when I found out how much they really cost.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Mirrors are not necessary. They are nice to give you a better view of what is following you since it is difficult to see past the trailer unless you are on a curve in the road. I figure I should not worry about them since I tow at legal posted speed limit. I pull off occasionally and let them pass if for some reason I am going slower. They are a little help in backing up but not nearly as good as having the wife out there really seeing what is going on and making sure you do not hit something. Standard hand signals are usually enough but I have seen some using radios.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

The law has something to say about mirrors

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/recvehicles.html

Quote:
Rear View Mirrors:
When the trailer or its load affects the driver's view to the rear, the law requires two rear view mirrors, one on each side of the towing vehicle, to give the driver an unobstructed view of the highway at least 200 feet behind.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
I personally throw in an endorsement for the CIPA's. It's what I have and they work on the 2004 Expy. CAVEAT: Get TWO of the metal hooks and the attach just fine to the mirror and won't break the bank. The factory will mail you extra hooks, should you need them, for free. Just call their 800 customer service number and they'll set you up.

John
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
If your Expedition mirrors have an angled light/turn signal under the mirror like mine, it is going to be difficult for the "slip-on" mirrors to stay on.

I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
XL Clip On Tow Mirrors.

Thanks for the info on the different options. I found "XL Clip On Tow Mirrors" by Prime Products for about $15/ea. They have four clips that fasten to the top & bottom edges of the mirror housing, and two rubber straps that hold the unit in place. I'm driving around with one mounted to see how they might work... it seems to be doing fine so far. The dealer had the CIPA units, but recommended these.

My Expy does have the turn signal under the mirror, and the cladding at the door bottom - both apparently complicate/limit the options. Will let you all know how the XL's perform.

We pick up our Safari on Tuesday! Will also look for some radios or a "crash course" in hand signals to assist with the backing.

Thanks for your help!

- Larry
Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
If your Expedition mirrors have an angled light/turn signal under the mirror like mine, it is going to be difficult for the "slip-on" mirrors to stay on.

I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose.
And it is for this reason that the CIPA customer service recommended getting the extra hooks. The hooks have neoprene pads in them and they don't slip. They just clip onto the mirror and hang on.

John

2004 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer, Premiere package
Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
McKesh Mirror for '05 Expedition with door cladding?

from Kistler: "I like my McKesh mirrors, but the bottom hook attaches to my Expedition's cladding--not the door metal. This is not the best situation; I try not to tighten the McKeshs too much but.......it is probably a matter of time until the cladding comes loose."

One of our mirrors was "lost" this summer while we were parked, and I've now purchased a set of McKesh mirrors. I have the same problem as Kistler with the lower door cladding and wondered what your experience has been. I'm considering cutting the cladding where the bracket would attach as it's plastic/rubber and should be okay with the cut.

Any experiences out there? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I hesitate to cut the cladding; am still living/travelling with the problem.

I wish someone would make a longer metal hook that would fit around under the cladding and attach to the metal bottom of the door.

I am about as far from a metal worker as you can get......McKesh should realize there is a market out there for a specialized (for Expeditions) hook.. I'd be willing to pay $5 apiece. I can imagine what cladding costs.

Kistler
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Thanks! I was looking at the bottom and agree there should be an easy way to make an extension. I'll work on it and report back if there is a reasonable solution.