Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ditto. Very pleased with the setup he did on my rig. 6,500 km in my first trip, smooth as glass.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mini + Airstream

Hi, I searched for Mini Cooper Clubman towing specs, and came up with, "200 lbs tongue weight and 1400 lbs maximum trailer weight. Are we in line with this?

I want to take another trip to Canada, but you guys are scaring me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini + Airstream.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	101883  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

I want to take another trip to Canada, but you guys are scaring me.
Good day Robert.
From what I have seen in these parts there tends to be a high awareness to properly equipped and configured (brake controller, receiver, hitch, weight distribution, set up etc) to manage the load of the combinations.

I have driven over a million miles in the last 40 years here in Canada and never seen an RV accident.

Take a vacation here. Enjoy the drive and scenery.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Surprised this hasn't been blasted by the bigger-is-better crowd . . . yet. I'm not even sure if this is serious.

But it flies in the face of the accepted "rules and recommendations" we have come to expect here. Are heavy, high, live-axle trucks (with substantial rear overhang) really the only way to safely tow an Airstream? Are the big weight distribution and heavy sway control devices needed with more efficient suspensions, or could they be much lighter? Or is the truck concept basically flawed, and we are correcting these flaws with bigger trucks and bigger load handling equipment?

Thanks Andy for the photos. Please keep us informed of what you have learned.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Nice Photoshop. Or what software was used.Can't be real.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
I am afraid we are much better at hitches that photo shop so it is real. I can send you the other 20 pictures we photo shopped as well. We did photo shop the videos we took since obviously it really can't move.

The tow rating comes from Europe where they do not have the benefit of weight distribution hitches, electric brakes or properly balanced trailers

Don't worry about coming to Canada I think this combination would outhandle and out stop most full size trucks and SUV's. It really is amazing how much fun it is to drive.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hello Andy

Lots of discussions of the newer, smaller engines coming down the lines for use in cars and trucks. Many are using and are going to use turbos in the configuration.

Can you give us an opinion please? In the Mini/Arogosy combination how did you find the turbo interaction with engine power demands and the vehicles power demands? When driving at highway speeds is the turbo assisting or does it only come on when accelerating or climbing a grade?

Many of us look forward to keeping engine sizes/vehicles down to a reasonable size. We like the good fuel mileage they provide 80% of the time when not towing.

Also want to thank you for helping us with our current set up. It has been working great now for 5 years (200 hours of towing).
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Daddio

2002 19' Bambi
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I am afraid we are much better at hitches that photo shop so it is real. I can send you the other 20 pictures we photo shopped as well. We did photo shop the videos we took since obviously it really can't move.

The tow rating comes from Europe where they do not have the benefit of weight distribution hitches, electric brakes or properly balanced trailers

Don't worry about coming to Canada I think this combination would outhandle and out stop most full size trucks and SUV's. It really is amazing how much fun it is to drive.

Andrew T
Man Iím impressed. Iím new to the forum. ( today ) Iíve been working on my combo for two years, and finally have it done. Now I just need to make the right adjustments to the system. I have a 1954 GMC Ĺ T, towing a 2002 Bambi 19í. The truck was upgraded, with disk brakes on the front, rebuilt GMC -Six 270 bored, Holly carb, Clifford intake, RV cams. 700R with tranny cooler. Ride rite air bags, and f/r sway bars, and WDH. Iíve had sooo many folks tell me the truck is too small. I know I donít have a conventional tow rig, but with a little work, should tow fine. Iíll get a pic up sometime. Again great job !!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Just Because You Can...

Doesn't Mean You Should!

This is certainly a cool looking setup but I sure would not want to drive/tow that rig. Yeah, I know... I'm an old fashioned 3/4 ton kinda guy. Or a least a relatively full-size vehicle kinda guy.

I once put a Yamaha YZ motorcycle engine in a 3-wheel golf cart. That thing was wild! Just because I could do did not mean I should do it.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It looks to me what Andrew T has demonstrated is if you start with a great handling vehicle, is not difficult to create a great handling tow combo with it.

Conversely, if you start with a poor handling vehicle (such as a pickup truck, almost any pickup truck), you may be on the wrong track to begin with. A typical towing truck must be heavy so it does not get wagged by its tail (trailer), needs lots of power to compensate for the extra weight, needs to big fuel tank to feed its big power source, needs suspension stuff and brake software to stabilize it, many more mods are done, and may need a $2500 hitch because it is still unstable. To me, this concept is less than ideal, perhaps less ideal than Andrew T's lightweight combos.

But the fact that Andrew T has set up lightweight vehicles for towing, should not be read as any lightweight vehicle may be properly set up for towing. Maybe you could give him a call and ask what he thinks of your rig, and what might be done.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #25

1970 25' Caravanner
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio View Post
Man Iím impressed. Iím new to the forum. ( today ) Iíve been working on my combo for two years, and finally have it done. Now I just need to make the right adjustments to the system. I have a 1954 GMC Ĺ T, towing a 2002 Bambi 19í. The truck was upgraded, with disk brakes on the front, rebuilt GMC -Six 270 bored, Holly carb, Clifford intake, RV cams. 700R with tranny cooler. Ride rite air bags, and f/r sway bars, and WDH. Iíve had sooo many folks tell me the truck is too small. I know I donít have a conventional tow rig, but with a little work, should tow fine. Iíll get a pic up sometime. Again great job !!
daddio what is your rear axle gear ratio. I currently have a 59 chev apache that I want to upgrade to tow a 25ft 1970 caravanner.

G.Torres
Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Andy, you never cease to amaze me. Nice job. I too, would trust you to set up any vehicle to tow.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Daddio

I remember when trucks like yours were fairly common tow vehicles without all the modern enhancements. It should easily handle the 19'. The combination should feel very stable if it does not then you need some hitch tweaking.

The 59 Apache should work as well but if you are going to drive it a lot of miles I would consider the upgrade to disc brakes otherwise the traffic may be stopping a lot faster than you can. The Caravaner has pretty substantial hitch weight so make sure you have a good solid receiver and properly set up hitch system. Other than that it should make a cool combination.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Doesn't Mean You Should!

This is certainly a cool looking setup but I sure would not want to drive/tow that rig. Yeah, I know... I'm an old fashioned 3/4 ton kinda guy. Or a least a relatively full-size vehicle kinda guy.

I once put a Yamaha YZ motorcycle engine in a 3-wheel golf cart. That thing was wild! Just because I could do did not mean I should do it.

Lucius
I agree with you Lucius. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...or that it will be safe in an emergency situation. I have been there and done that one and glad I had my 3/4 ton truck to manage my 8,400#, 30 foot Airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It looks to me what Andrew T has demonstrated is if you start with a great handling vehicle, is not difficult to create a great handling tow combo with it.

Conversely, if you start with a poor handling vehicle (such as a pickup truck, almost any pickup truck), you may be on the wrong track to begin with. A typical towing truck must be heavy so it does not get wagged by its tail (trailer), needs lots of power to compensate for the extra weight, needs to big fuel tank to feed its big power source, needs suspension stuff and brake software to stabilize it, many more mods are done, and may need a $2500 hitch because it is still unstable. To me, this concept is less than ideal, perhaps less ideal than Andrew T's lightweight combos.

But the fact that Andrew T has set up lightweight vehicles for towing, should not be read as any lightweight vehicle may be properly set up for towing. Maybe you could give him a call and ask what he thinks of your rig, and what might be done.
I'm sorry to disagree, but nothing you said makes logical sense. I've been towing my 30' Safari for four years now and I would never trust a modern Airstream to something as puny as a Minni Cooper. Just my opinion, but one that is based on personal experiences. Perhaps if I were an automotive engineer I might have a different opinion, but I just don't see the Minni Cooper/Argosy as being a safe combination.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote