Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #41
_

. , .
here is a link to the complete story on the super chief concept......which really is just a concept. gm showed something like this last year with side doors for the truck bed and 'never to be seen in real life' interiors.....

as for the super chief....i'm not sure if the tri fuel design would be strong enough to pull big trailers.

but really in a diesel/hybird concept....i'm on the waiting list now!!

lots of pictures in the linky.......and check out that avant/bauhaus interior.......

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=22295

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the link to the press release. I still would love to have the opportunity to put one in my driveway.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #43
_

. , .
05 psd ..........strokers listen up!!

took mine in for the coolant calibration recall and

the engine software remapping.

i also had a very small oil leak (1-2 drops) which turned out to be a leak involving the airbox/turbo area.
required replacing the airbox/hose and in/out connectors along with better clamps/hardware.....

this is a know issue but no recall yet and they fix it if customers report the problem.....

i also had a shudder/pause in shifts and this was solved with another tsb for reprogramming the trans, revising the soft ware. it's a tsb but they have mailed it to customers......so again it get fixed if someone complains....

took two days but they did give me a rental (no policy) because the letter said it was included.....

so far truck drive nicely, no loss of power when cold. shifts are more precise and quicker up and down, i think. leak is gone, smell is gone. not enough time to judge effect on mileage.....

so i highly recommend having the recall work done....

clicky the pic for bigger view...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford haulin guard lions.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	18028  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's what I get

Not towing: 22 MPG highway, no air conditioning, at 60MPH
When towing: 15-17 MPG highway, with air conditioning, at 65MPH

I love the 5 speed Torqshift transmission. Shifts smoothly and absolutely love how it handles steep grades on the downside. Place it in "tow haul" tap the brake and it will maintain your speed without having to touch the brake again. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your brakes.

Overall, my Excursion is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im wanting to get a beefier TV (F150 at present) and find the powerstokes appealing. Can anybody give me an idea of what sort of milage can be expected from a 8 cyl 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Engine, with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. I tow a Trade Wind, call it 7,000lbs loaded. I dont get in a hurry driving if Im towing or not. Thanks!
Well, some time later here is what I ended up with: a 1997 F250 7.3L with manual trans and 3.55 ratio. It has the "lack of features" package including manual windows and locks. It does have cruise control and AC though. It has an extended cab which I have never had, dont know how I will like that yet. I am still confused on the need or lack of need to cool the truck down after use though.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Well, some time later here is what I ended up with: a 1997 F250 7.3L with manual trans and 3.55 ratio. It has the "lack of features" package including manual windows and locks. It does have cruise control and AC though. It has an extended cab which I have never had, dont know how I will like that yet. I am still confused on the need or lack of need to cool the truck down after use though.
Rodney, the "lack of features" package, is, at least to me, not a bad ting. If it's not there, it can't break.
I always let my truck run for a couple of minutes after driving, the harder I drove the longer I would let it idle. This minimizes the "percolation effect" or "heat soak" that can unduly stress an engine, especially a high compression diesel. When we were doing R&D on the 6.9's, I knew the trucks that were idled for a few minutes before shutdown, and the ones that were pulled in, and turned off. The latter ones had head gasket leaks after a couple hundred thousand miles. The newer units with turbos can have scored turbo shafts from oil starvation, also.
As far as the extended cab, if it's also a long bed, prepare to use the better part of a football field for U-turns.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #47
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Rodney, the "lack of features" package, is, at least to me, not a bad ting. If it's not there, it can't break.
As far as the extended cab, if it's also a long bed, prepare to use the better part of a football field for U-turns.
I basically feel the same way, although i have to admit that I miss being able to lower the passenger side window at any time. I also really like the sliding rear window which this truck doesnt have. Will any seat from 97 F250s fit in this truck by the way? The current seat is junk and I was thinking about haunting junk yards for a nicer one. And yes, it does have the long bed, but I figure that should improve the towing. Am I wrong about that?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I basically feel the same way, although i have to admit that I miss being able to lower the passenger side window at any time. I also really like the sliding rear window which this truck doesnt have. Will any seat from 97 F250s fit in this truck by the way? The current seat is junk and I was thinking about haunting junk yards for a nicer one. And yes, it does have the long bed, but I figure that should improve the towing. Am I wrong about that?
My F250 has the sliding rear window, which someone promptly broke, and stole the radio while sitting on the lot waiting for me. the long bed, extended cab is great for towing, IIRC it has a 155" wheelbase. Almost any seats from a 1987-1996 F150-F350 extended cab will fit. If you don't get one for an extended cab, the seat will not fold down enough to get anything behind the seat. You CAN get a pair of seats and console out of a full-size Bronco, they will basically drop in, tho you may have to drill a couple of holes for the inner mounts. Most of them are more comfortable, being a little more cushy.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #49
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My manual says if you have been putting the truck under a load. Ie towing. Let it cool down for a "few" minutes before shutting it down. This gives the Turbo time to cool off. This is mostly for the turbo bearing to prevnt the oil from overheating and cokeing up. leading to premature bearing failure. DO not let the truck idle for too long. Wax will build up on the valves and cause them to stick.

The longer wheel base will improve towing as long as you put some weight on the rear end. If you trailer does not put enough tounge weight on the truck you may need to throw some bags of cement in the back.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

I have a 96 extended cab F250 Powerstroke long bed with an automatic transmission. It has been the finest vehicle I've ever owned.

About the rear-end weight factor, it has not been a problem for me. I put a fiberglass cover on the bed, and I keep the bed filled with all my camping stuff. All that covered space in the long bed is invaluable to a camper. There's never too much of that.

Concerning highway mileage, I can depend on 20 mpg solo, and 14 with the 26-foot Airstream. I tow at 60, and solo at 70 on the Interstates. These data are from long-term notes.

Good luck with your Powerstroke.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote