Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Question Michelin Defender LTX 275/55R20 for Silverado 1500

So I called discount tire, told them I wanted to get a LT (light truck) tire for towing my 23 international FB to make it more safe in a sway situation. I told them I had a set of Goodyear eagles (pics attached) and was told by the salesperson I needed to get the michelin defender ltx 275/55r20 (pics attached) for my Silverado 1500.

The problem, the Michelin is not a LT tire, its a LTX, not the same thing, and I am not sure what to do.

The reason I wanted a LT tire is because the research I have done on the air forum lead me to believe that it responds better to emergency situations and potentially reduces sway. I have 3 kids and safety is of utmost importance.

my question for the forum, (and I would really appreciate it if you had experience in this specific issue of trying to get the specs I need 275/55r20) is the following.:

Do you think this tire is as good as getting an LT tire, and if you were to get an LT tire, which one is best to get for highway usage. I do not want to get an all -terrain tire. my tv is a 2016 crew cab Silverado 1500 .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tire michelin.JPG
Views:	1327
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	276738   Click image for larger version

Name:	new tire michelin2.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	276739  

Click image for larger version

Name:	old tire goodyear (2).JPG
Views:	447
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	276740   Click image for larger version

Name:	old tire goodyear.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	276741  

troubadour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
recommendation from can am , ontario

I did manage to speak with a very helpful man named Joe Curry who works with Andy at Can AM. Believe it or not the recommended a slightly smaller tire for better performance.

either the
Michelin Defender 255/55r20 extra load Premier, LTX
or
Perelli Scorpion Verde 255/55r20

their reputation precedes them in terms of helpfulness and knowledge, and they were passionate about these 2 tire options. going to call and check with the dealer
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
What's wrong with an LTX tire?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
While there is nothing "wrong" with an LTX, it is a misperception thinking it is an LT tire, it isn't. Like vehicles, it seems that they are trying to create a crossover tire for SUVs and Light Trucks.
To the OP, I too had the Goodyear Eagle LS/2 tires on my Sierra 1500 and they are junk, when considering towing.
Do the research and compare all the stats. The LTX are load range SL and rated for 2535lb each @ 44 psi. The tires I went with are Goodyear Eagle Sport, these are load range XL speed rating V and rated for 2833 at 50 psi. All of this equates to a stronger stiffer sidewall, which helps greatly with sway. I put these on and towed 9000 miles this summer, 6500 lb trailer, never had an issue or regret.
Hope this helps with your info gathering
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Are you sure? I had four 20" Defenders put on my 2013 Silverado 3/4T - they are LT265/60R20/E and they are referred to (for marketing purposes) as Defender LTX tires. On your sidewall, see if the number is preceded by "LT" (like the LT265 I mentioned). If so, they are light truck designated.

http://m.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/M....google.com%2F
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The LTX are load range SL and rated for 2535lb each @ 44 psi. The tires I went with are Goodyear Eagle Sport, these are load range XL speed rating V and rated for 2833 at 50 psi. All of this equates to a stronger stiffer sidewall, which helps greatly with sway.

Thanks Randy-- Michelin website (and other tire sites) has so many models of defenders it gets confusing. Curious where you are getting the load stats, etc. any links helpful just to make sure we are looking at it the same way. The can am guys were pretty passionate about considering a 255 which I thought was interesting. They said it handled better. Keep in mind I'm pulling less weight than you are though. Thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep looks like the LTX 275/55/20 is a passenger tire, with weight capacity of 2337 lbs at 50 lbs pressure ?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Michelin Defender LTX 275/55r20 for Silverado 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Yep looks like the LTX 275/55/20 is a passenger tire, with weight capacity of 2337 lbs at 50 lbs pressure ?

Well, many trucks come with P-rated tires - as I understand it, it's just a classification - the engineers wouldn't have them on the truck if not fit for use.

OP - what were the original tires on your truck? I'd be willing to bet they were P-rated tires as well.

For whatever it's worth - I have LT Michelins on my truck (originally Goodyear LT tires but I swapped to Michelins at 50K miles) and P-rated Michelins on my trailer.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I always thought the P and LT designation was confusing and that one tire line was P and another is LT. As I now understand it and to use Defender as an example, some sizes are P's and some at LT.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XOWL&tab=Sizes

Looking at the size chart it appears this generally holds true, but i notice i.e a 275/60R/20 and a LT275/60R/20. While I look at your size it doesn't indicate LT so that means P

I'm going with the Defenders on my TV
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

but staying with the 15" Sendels and grab some higher load rated (E) Nokains to replace the GYM's

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...an-rotiiva-at/

Hope this helps

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Just bought the Michelin Defender LT (275 65R-18) tire load rated E with a maximum inflation of 80lbs for my F-150.

My question is what inflation setting (psi) are you using when not towing and when towing.

I chatted with the Michelin person on their website and they suggested 60lbs when not towing. Seems high to me but what are you using?

Thank you.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I've had LTX on several pickups and towed heavy with them. Never had an issue. This forum is the first I've read about a P rating, never "derated" anything in the past. Guess I've never been within 10% of blowing a tire but as many engine blocks as I've carried in the back I'd be shocked if I was always within limits.

Most blowouts I dealt with as a tow operator were caused by neglect and under inflation, not load.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Just bought the Michelin Defender LT (275 65R-18) tire load rated E with a maximum inflation of 80lbs for my F-150.

My question is what inflation setting (psi) are you using when not towing and when towing.

I chatted with the Michelin person on their website and they suggested 60lbs when not towing. Seems high to me but what are you using?

Thank you.
I run mine at 75 lbs, It only gets used when we pull the as, these are LT ,not passenger tires..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
As Bob said, these tires come in both P and LT tires. I just put P's on my truck because the ride is better and that is what GM specified for the truck. It is a 1/2 ton truck. I run LT's on the trailer. 80 psi on the trailer, 35-40 psi on the truck.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
Thanks Randy-- Michelin website (and other tire sites) has so many models of defenders it gets confusing. Curious where you are getting the load stats, etc. any links helpful just to make sure we are looking at it the same way. The can am guys were pretty passionate about considering a 255 which I thought was interesting. They said it handled better. Keep in mind I'm pulling less weight than you are though. Thanks
A good site for information is

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/275-55R20.htm

Click on tire choices below and then a specs button will appear above the tire image.

You can also input and see what effects changing the size will have, generally going to a 255 (smaller width) will also change to a smaller ratio, which would equate to a slightly smaller sidewall, which would equal less play/sway. The other side to that argument, is that part of the suspension design (think comfort) is based on how much rubber there is between the rim and road to absorb impacts, so decreasing these will affect the ride comfort, whether you feel it is dependent on you (princess and the pea)

High end sports cars have extremely low profile tires, and handle like on rails, and the suspension was designed to work with it. The kid in town drops his car, puts on the low profile tires and the car handles corners better, but the kid needs back surgery in 5 years, because driving over beach sand is like a rumble strip. (Some factors exaggerated to make point)

While even the weight I carry doesn't require the load ability of the tires I chose, I will always choose more, rather than just enough. To me all choices are based on which piece of the puzzle do I want to be the weakest link, when the Sh*t hits the fan and that which keeps me the most well planted is not on the list. Therefore, I chose a stronger sidewall rather than a lower profile.

BOB - While I love and have had Nokians on most of my cars, I would be careful and extremely sure of my choice before putting them on a trailer. The all season aspect of tires is that they use a more pliable rubber compound, so that it can stay flexible in subfreezing conditions, this means super flexible in overly warm conditions. So while having to account for the decrease in using a "P" tire on a trailer you would also need to account for the all season aspect, IMHO it would have a big effect on allowing sway to develop easier. FWIW.

This is a good read, relating to P or LT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=70

And last, this is about load range or ply

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55
Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Ran out of edit time. Last part

All these numbers and all this information is only good and applicable if your tires are inflated and run at the specified pressures. So a 2833lb tire on a truck is only good for 2578lbs @ 50 psi. If I wanted a softer ride, not rock hard, and ran then 10 psi lower then they would only be good for about 2200lbs. These numbers are even more drastic if used on a trailer, that is setup up to not have the rivets pop out and run at lower pressures.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
more details

Quote:
A good site for information is

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/275-55R20.htm
great site randy thanks, strongly considering switching to the perelli scorpions 255/55r20 for better performance when its needed-- pretty large difference in the performance from Andy @ can am rvs recommendation

link to current tires:
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-275-55R20.htm

link: to potential new one (I tried to copy and paste but the forum was asking me if I was a robot but not showing the picture to confirm I'm not a Martian)
https://tiresize.com/tires/Pirelli/S...-255-55R20.htm
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
P275/55R20 on my Tundra- P-rated 4 ply whereas LT tires might be 8 or 10 ply.
I haven't been able to find an LT tire in my specific size.
I figure if I have towed 6 1/2 years and 47,000 with the P-rated tires they must be OK.
LT225/75R16 on the trailer-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

BOB - While I love and have had Nokians on most of my cars, I would be careful and extremely sure of my choice before putting them on a trailer. The all season aspect of tires is that they use a more pliable rubber compound, so that it can stay flexible in subfreezing conditions, this means super flexible in overly warm conditions. So while having to account for the decrease in using a "P" tire on a trailer you would also need to account for the all season aspect, IMHO it would have a big effect on allowing sway to develop easier. FWIW.
Randy I really appreciate your feedback. I have changed my mind between the Nokians (Nokian Rotiiva AT All Season LT235/75R15 LRE 116/113 max 2,760 lbs.) and Michelin's Defenders ( LTX225/75R16 115/112 LR E 2,680)so many times, I have lost track. The Nok's as I understand them are an LT not a P tire, but your pliability comment certainly warrants further research and evaluation. I'm listening to everyone on this decision.

I'm re-shoeing the TV first and was going to make a decision on the AS this summer. The few Air Forums comments I have found have been very positive. I'm glad I have time as the GYM's are only a 2014 tire with less than 5K miles.

be warm

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Bob,

If they're are in fact real LT tires, then I wouldn't worry about the all season concern, the sidewalls are already beefed up.

M.Hony,

One of my previous links explains that, while LTs are made beefier, most of them don't actually get built with 10 ply belt configs anymore. But are rated as such compared to old type builds.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
So I called discount tire, told them I wanted to get a LT (light truck) tire for towing my 23 international FB to make it more safe in a sway situation. I told them I had a set of Goodyear eagles (pics attached) and was told by the salesperson I needed to get the michelin defender ltx 275/55r20 (pics attached) for my Silverado 1500.

The problem, the Michelin is not a LT tire, its a LTX, not the same thing, and I am not sure what to do.

The reason I wanted a LT tire is because the research I have done on the air forum lead me to believe that it responds better to emergency situations and potentially reduces sway. I have 3 kids and safety is of utmost importance.

my question for the forum, (and I would really appreciate it if you had experience in this specific issue of trying to get the specs I need 275/55r20) is the following.:

Do you think this tire is as good as getting an LT tire, and if you were to get an LT tire, which one is best to get for highway usage. I do not want to get an all -terrain tire. my tv is a 2016 crew cab Silverado 1500 .
I think that is the same size as the tires on my Tundra.
These may be my next tires if they aren't too much more expensive than the current Bridgestones.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags