Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #221
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Can-Am RV wrote me they they have set up over 210 Touareg TDI's for towing travel trailers of all sizes and 3,000 unibody vans over the years. They are a second generation Airstream dealer in business over 40 years. You have never even towed one.

Who should we believe?
Doug, I must admit your troll like posts do not surprise me anymore. I'm signing off as the usual suspects have showed up and are driving this thread to a ban.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #222
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikapen View Post
Just think of all those choice sites you will have to pass up because your new mega-wheelbase won't maneuver!!!
Just kidding....
Hasn't happened yet, but maneuverability is definitely an issue when NOT towing. That's really the biggest benefit of having an ML: how the vehicle behaves (and the mileage it gets) when you aren't towing.

The more often you tow, the more having a more tow-oriented vehicle (closer in weight to the trailer, monster torque, engine brake(!!)) matters. If we weren't full-timing, I'd never have stopped using the ML. Even then it's a close thing; you give up a lot in general comfort for what you gain in towing comfort. On the balance it's worth it for us (especially with the extra storage), but I wouldn't presume to say what it's worth to others.
ciparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciparis View Post
Hasn't happened yet, but maneuverability is definitely an issue when NOT towing. That's really the biggest benefit of having an ML: how the vehicle behaves (and the mileage it gets) when you aren't towing.
Agree, and that is our greatest concern with anything long-wheelbase. We just left on another six month snowbird trip, many places to go and see along the way and near our destinations. We like to unhook and sightsee, explore the countryside, visit people, get groceries, go out on the town. Daily driving stuff. As well as maneuvering the Airstream itself.

A truck is handy to haul stuff but a bugger to get around in day to day. We get along well with a reg cab pickup now but am looking hard at a SUV next time. These threads are can be helpful, especially with a chance to learn from the experience of others.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #224
2 Rivet Member

The biggest thing I think the Mercedes diesels would benefit from for towing would be an engine brake. That's been the biggest revelation for me when driving the Ram 2500.

It's rare for the massive torque to make a go / no-go difference (it has happened), although the general ease of pulling is notable and welcome. Crosswind resistance and overall stability when towing come into play fairly often. Raw payload capacity, sure. But the engine brake -- that's where it's at.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #225
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
mikapen - thank you for the info. I am not a Mercedes expert, but might be interested in GL, if BMW X7 is not appealing when it is launched. So you are saying that the inserts are only available when you order towing package from the factory? Interesting.
I am getting mixed messages on the reinforcement being available only on the Factory INSTALLED hitch.
At one time the hitch could be ordered aftermarket and installed by the Dealer for $2,700, and I was led to believe that it included "some" internal reinforcements. There was significant removal of bumpers and body panels, and a substituted rear SAM. Then, with the 2010, the dealer-installed option went to <$500, but nobody I know ever saw a kit.
The diagram I referred to earlier showed an exploded picture with something that kind of resembled the pic I posted above, and the non hitch exploded diagram lacked the reinforcement. I still can't find that diagram.
I don't know if the GL kit I posted would be the same as installed at the factory or not, or if is even still available.
So, in answer to your question, I'm not sure any more
Old 10-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #226
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
This is not about "setup" (whatever that means). There is not a single unibody vehicle in the market with a 800# or more hitch rating. And most ban the use of WDH. 1000# hitches are readily available. Why wouldn't the manufacturers put them on their unibody vehicles? Well, for a substantial hitch, you need a frame to mount the hitch to. You also need a frame to do substantial weight distribution.
Germans seem to have a different scheme for rating their hitches.
In every one I have seen (Audi, M-B, VW, M-B) the tongue weight rating is exactly 8% of the trailer weight.
And it may be that since WDH's are a recent arrival in Europe, they just haven't tested or certified their hitches for Weight Distribution. Everything is so regulated over there - maybe their lawyers advise never to use WDH in a sentence!
They also construct their trailers a lot differently, with few dual axles.
I think one of the components of their gross weight rating is the ability to accelerate the load, not TV axle capacity.
I have given up on trying to guess how it all comes together, and rely on the Gross Axle Weight Ratings, some work at the scales, and math to predict suitability. And loading.

As for the need for a frame, if that were the only qualification for load-carrying, we'd see 747's raining from the skies.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #227
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciparis View Post
The biggest thing I think the Mercedes diesels would benefit from for towing would be an engine brake. That's been the biggest revelation for me when driving the Ram 2500.

It's rare for the massive torque to make a go / no-go difference (it has happened), although the general ease of pulling is notable and welcome. Crosswind resistance and overall stability when towing come into play fairly often. Raw payload capacity, sure. But the engine brake -- that's where it's at.
Another engine brake convert...how refreshing. You do realize that most of this group will look down their collective noses at a mere "exhaust brake" They wouldn't know what to do with one..."except piss off their neighbors"!

PS: Remember, the "massive torque" makes "the ease of towing" possible.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #228
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
PS: Remember, the "massive torque" makes "the ease of towing" possible.
Indeed; that's what I wrote