Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #155
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westlake , OH(summer)NC(winter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
The discussion was ML/GLE downsizing engines, not GL/GLS.
Hey, I'm retired..........so it sometimes takes a while to sink in!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNewbie View Post
Hey, I'm retired..........so it sometimes takes a while to sink in!

No problem, I was just making it easier

cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Europe banning diesel.....

.......in cities.

London will follow Paris and ban diesel cars, campaigners warn - Telegraph
Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
North America should not be affected as DEF takes care of NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) pollution (breaks it into N and O neither of which are pollutant.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
North America should not be affected as DEF takes care of NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) pollution (breaks it into N and O neither of which are pollutant.
It affects all of us.

Chicken Little is alive and well in Europe and the farm animals rush for cover.

All precipitated by the World Health Organization declaring diesel exhaust a carcinogen! Who exactly are they to do this, and why should anyone have to listen to a UN hack organization like that?

How long before a "global" impact of diesel exhaust report is issued?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm why ban diesel? Why not switch to Blutech?

This is why Airstreamers and all RV'rs should pay close attention to the RV industry lobby efforts and the government regulators in states, DC and around the world. They WILL work quietly and tirelessly to take away the freedom of the road from us.

Support the RV Industry Associations - they fight for us too.

Everyone is affected by governmental regulatory manipulations of the free market like this one. Before a moderator deletes my post, this is not about "politics". This is relevant to our RV lifestyles.

The relaxation of European diesel emissions was wildly successful. Leading to high tech diesels and a dramatic lowering of driving costs in Europe where diesel taxes are low. We cannot have that. That is why the EU arranged to the WHO report on diesel exhaust.

Regulators create crises, scare us, then limit us and tax us. That has been a fact of life for thousands of years.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Didn't the republican led NC legislature recently tax Priuses and BAN Tesla sales? There's free enterprise for you. I am a former Cary resident and feel your pain but it is misdirected. Some environmental regulations are for everyone's good. Believe me, I don't miss the AQI alert days in Raleigh one bit, but they would be much worse without regulations.

As others have stated, DEF takes care of most of the problems of Diesel pollutants and most of Europe has DEF right at the pump. In heavily populated areas there is probably a need to do something further. California considered banning Diesel fuel sales when I lived there but did an about face when they realized it reduced CO2 emissions, but that doesn't mean they should allow dirty diesel. Lets keep perspective here. I own three diesels... a 2014 E250 Bluetec, a 2006 E320 CDI, and a 2014 Sprinter Bluetec. I have no fear of any of them being banned. Regulated? Sure, but I am OK with that.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was a consultant for the NCDOR, before and after moving from Cary to my present location and often filled my tank in SC where the diesel tax was much lower. I was interviewed once by the N&O at a pump in Raleigh and asked if I was driving more or less... I answered more only because I was now commuting on weekends to Raleigh. The gist of the article was about declining tax revenues due to reduced fuel sales as people switched over to more fuel efficient vehicles (I explained I was getting 38 MPG in my CDI). I was already very aware of the reduction in revenue as it was a popular topic around the shop. Regardless of your opinion of gas taxes (mine is that it is regressive and affects the poor and working class disproportionately), the state relied on that tax for a large portion of its revenue. Thus began the initiative to put an annual tax on the Prius, even though those folks were trying to do the right thing by cleaning up Raleigh's foul air at their own expense. The legislature just piled on.

The man who took over the DOR while I was there, a former state congressman, had led the effort to BAN municipalities from offering High Speed Internet service (a few already had) which resulted in TWC getting a virtual monopoly in the state. It was shown that this resulted in double the rates for Cary residents, a town that prides itself on its high tech presence with SAS and other cutting edge companies, and as a result, your opinions cost you twice as much to share as those who live in Wilson. But now we are off topic, so I will stop,
Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Postscript. I am now a Sr. Healthcare Economics consultant with a very large Health Insurance company, and from my perspective, the tax on all of us from those exposed to bad air, in the form of involuntary exposure to pollutants, particularly in urban areas (like Raleigh) is higher due to increased healthcare costs, which we all share the burden of. Then there are the voluntary risks that folks take on, like smoking tobacco, an activity the state of NC is no stranger to, where at least some of the cost of the risk is passed on through higher premiums. Not everyone can afford to move to cleaner environs, hence the regulators interest in cleaning up the urban areas. But having been to England in recent years, the real pollutant is not so much Diesel fuel, but rather Heating Oil (same difference) and outdated furnaces. The stench I experienced in Swindon on a recent visit there was unbearable. Fortunately in this country we have an abundance of Natural Gas, but still have a distribution problem in the North East, but there too, there is high reliance on Heating Oil. Again, its all about perspective.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
If the liberals are allowed to continue their march towards utopia.......we'll all be driving Vespas and Fiats fueled by corn and/or veggie oil! No more steak because the cows will starve (no corn) and my wife will stop baking (no veggie oil).
Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I may be a liberal because I am concerned about environmental conditions for our grandchildren as well as ourselves, but wasn't aware of this agenda.

Anyway this is way off topic and against forum rules so hope the moderators clean this up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Just curious, but does anyone think a ML250 with 200 HP has the guts to tow an airstream? Sure the torque is great, but 200hp with the 2.1LBT is a pretty big step down from 240hp from a ML350 with the 3.0L.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #165
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Just curious, but does anyone think a ML250 with 200 HP has the guts to tow an airstream? Sure the torque is great, but 200hp with the 2.1LBT is a pretty big step down from 240hp from a ML350 with the 3.0L.
ML250 Towing capacity is 6600 lbs.........so properly equipped and without much cargo in the trailer.......yes
Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #166
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
Have an opportunity to buy a '12 ml 350 blutek

Seller doesn't have a print out of all the various options on the vehicle.
He did share some info on some of the option included. Without listing them a
All, there is a reference to air suspension on what he claimed
to be manufacturers list from time of sale. Don't see anything about a towing hitch on the vehicle. He says the car comes with a standard option package, package one I thought he said, but looking at what's on the car it may be the option package two. Car has 20" tires. Can't remember if that is bad or good

Don't really trust the fella selling it

Can someone clarify any must have features I need to be able to tow a 25 FC.
As I understand it. I need the weight distributing hitch to toe. I assume Can am or some other capable trailer inch favility can mount it for me no matter what towing setup, if any, Mercedes sold the car with

The Porsche cayenne scared me away with the warning of near continual repair or servicing being required. I mean I couldn't tow a airstream with a cayeven and drive across the country and back without stopping on the tour to get the 5000 mile required service completed.

We have members here towing 25 ' air streams with 350 Blu tek so I know it can be done. But first thing is buying the right blu tek

Are there any options or add on that MUST be built into the vehicle to make it towing capable. Dealing with a private party and he knows less than me
Just want to be sure I don't buy a vehicle that will useless for it's intended purpose, an in town drive about and 25' airstream tower.

Thanks for your suggestions
Old 12-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoniankid View Post
Have an opportunity to buy a '12 ml 350 blutek

Seller doesn't have a print out of all the various options on the vehicle.
He did share some info on some of the option included. Without listing them a
All, there is a reference to air suspension on what he claimed
to be manufacturers list from time of sale. Don't see anything about a towing hitch on the vehicle. He says the car comes with a standard option package, package one I thought he said, but looking at what's on the car it may be the option package two. Car has 20" tires. Can't remember if that is bad or good

Don't really trust the fella selling it

Can someone clarify any must have features I need to be able to tow a 25 FC.
As I understand it. I need the weight distributing hitch to toe. I assume Can am or some other capable trailer inch favility can mount it for me no matter what towing setup, if any, Mercedes sold the car with

The Porsche cayenne scared me away with the warning of near continual repair or servicing being required. I mean I couldn't tow a airstream with a cayeven and drive across the country and back without stopping on the tour to get the 5000 mile required service completed.

We have members here towing 25 ' air streams with 350 Blu tek so I know it can be done. But first thing is buying the right blu tek

Are there any options or add on that MUST be built into the vehicle to make it towing capable. Dealing with a private party and he knows less than me
Just want to be sure I don't buy a vehicle that will useless for it's intended purpose, an in town drive about and 25' airstream tower.

Thanks for your suggestions
Towing cap for 2012 ML BluTec is 7200 lbs. Recommend you purchase a CPO vehicle from a MB dealer. You'll get a CPO warranty and peace of mind.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I drove my Mercedes 2007 ML320 CDI from Phoenix in late October 2013 to London, Ontario in three days (including a stop at the Airstream factory for the afternoon tour) to have CanAm modify the hitch attachment receiver on the car. While there, they also shortened and slightly bent the Hensley hitch stinger. I returned to Phoenix three days later.

Since the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI (built October 2006) lacked a trailer wiring harness going to the front of the car, I had to use the Tekonsha Wireless trailer brake controller system.

A few days later, I drove to Los Angles to take delivery of and tow our 2013 25FB International Serenity home. While at the dealership, I had a Hensley hitch installed.

The new trailer was basically empty and I had no issues going through the mountains on I-10 east bound. The lowest gear on the steepest grade was fifth of seven at around 2450 rpm. I crossed the scales with the car and empty trailer a few days later and found all weights were within bounds per the door label. The trailer weighed about 5,800 pounds which just slightly exceeded the suggested 5,000 limit.

We loaded the trailer with all our stuff, full fresh water, full propane and the wife and I crossed the scales. There car was not as happy with the trailer at 6,900 pounds and seemed under strain on the very slight grades going to the scales. The scales reported an overloaded front suspension and maxed put rear suspension with no gear in the car (like a grill and propane chairs etc).

Later versions the ML had the towing limit raised to 7,200 pounds (the 25' series Airstreams have a GVW of 7,300 pounds and the 27' series have a 7,600 pound GVW) which could be doable.

However, I had a Shurline scale with me when I picked up the trailer and the tongue weight with the Hensley hitch head was attached was 1,150 pounds. Camping ready, the tongue weight was 1,175 pounds. These numbers crowd the limits of even the CanAm modified hitch receiver.

The liability of overloading the tow vehicle's rating to possibly void the remaining 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and more importantly cause a failure that could lead to an accident caused me to retire the car from towing our Airstream.

We acquired the current 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins diesel and the towing weight and driveline issues vanished and that vehicle tows the 31' 2014 Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds with no issues even in the mountains.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote