Old 12-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Thanks for the great update. I hope you don't mind if I use it.

If you like you can do a minor tweak to the tire size on the GL which will eliminate that bit of movement you now get from trucks.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Victoria , British Columbia
Andy

Please feel free to use my experiences. I welcome any feedback from you or others who share the same vehicle type. I'm sure there are tips that can benefit us all.

A small thing to add, but I found running with the air suspension dampening set to "Sport" mode as opposed to "Comfort" mode smoothed the ride considerably. Way less porpoising.

As for changing my tire size, I opted for the Sport Package, which gave me 295/40R21 wheels and tires. I'm not sure I could improve upon that.

I do regret that I was only able to bring the GL and not both TV and TT to your shop for the hitch reinforcement. I would have benefited from you tweaking my set up. Your technician did note that my hitch head was showing signs of wear, and I needed to use more grease where the trunnions bars seat. Maybe that and a bit of wear I've noticed on the cam saddles contributes to my slight "push" I feel when a truck overtakes me hence, my consideration for a ProPride.

A very small note, near the end of my post I mentioned getting 750 miles on 26.3 gals of 'gas', should have typed DIESEL. I haven't made the mistake of putting gas in the tank, and I hope I never do. (Knocks on wood).

Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Good report StokerDoc! We have virtually the same setup (unfortunately the US model isn't available with the Sports Package so I'm truly envious on that front) and when we happened to be at JC at the same time it made for a great photo op and chance to study each of our setups. We really like our PP hitch, especially after Andy's crew tweaked our hitch while we were having the hitch reinforced. We ended up with about 12K miles of travel over the summer, with a slightly higher MPG range but that's understandable given our load was much lighter with only two dogs along (oh, the serenity). Feel very fortunate that my TV research led us to the GL350, it's been remarkable towing and the general comfort is unsurpassed in a three row SUV. Next summer's travels will definitely be Pacific Northwest centric so hopefully another "twin" photo op will be available.

Have a great holiday!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
A slightly narrower P275/40R x 21 XL would tighten it up but the size is only available in very high performance summer tires. They would work great but not for very long. Likely only a 40-50,000 Kilometer tread life. 25-30,000 miles.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Victoria , British Columbia
Jim

It was an amazing coincidence to meet you at JC. If it wasn't for the slightly different wheel and tire combination on our GLs, it would be very difficult to tell them apart. We love our Serenity as well. In the "If I knew then what I know now" category, I would ask JC to make a 30' bunkhouse in Serenity trim. That colour combination with ducted AC, Corian counter tops, the Ultra-leather and a spot for the kids to have their own space would be the ultimate trailer for us. Don't get me wrong, I love our trailer, but with one kid on the dinette, the other on the couch, us adults are either sitting outside or we go to bed at the same time as the kids.

As far as a Pacific Northwest trip for you next summer, we would gladly invite you up here as a stop on your way to Alaska? Seems a common destination for RVers. Heck, it's on our list as well. We are planning on staying closer to home next year. Explore more of the BC mainland and maybe head up to Yukon or even Alaska.

I think a photo op would definitely be fun.

Stephen
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Anyone pulling a 34' with a GL. Mine is 1987 so not wide body (lighter). I pulled it for a few years with a short wheel base Navigator with no drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Wow nice looking setup. I have a GL450 and am thinking about buying a Flying Cloud 25. Did you reinforce the Mercedes hitch? If so, who did it for you? My GL has a max hitch rate of 600 lbs and the AS comes in at 836 lbs. Everyone seems to think Can-Am in Canada are the guys who do the best work, however I live in New Mexico and don't want to travel so far. Any info would help. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
Anyone pulling a 34' with a GL. Mine is 1987 so not wide body (lighter). I pulled it for a few years with a short wheel base Navigator with no drama.

I own a 1984 34' International, ready to camp it weighs in at about 7500lbs. I was at CanAm last week, picking the trailer up from service and had a chat with Andy about our next tow/family vehicle. Andy highly recommended the GL for my trailer, he also nodded towards the Dodge Durango, with which the GL class shares a platform.

Depending on what we can find on the market, one of these will be our next car, come spring 2016.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Yes I had the hitch reinforced on my 2014 GL 550. The tongue weight of my and all larger AS exceeds the factory rating and it appears the hitch could rotate. How ever unlikely, it was a very substantial mod for not much money. I bought the vehicle in Fort Wayne IN, a CPO with 15k miles and since I was close by headed on the CanAm for the mod. There are several good pictures available and a good welding shop should be able to fab one. CanAm has the curve and mount to subframe down pat and is quick and fits perfect. They may sell the part for you to install, I did not inquire about that since I was going anyway. I have several large pickups and can tow with what I choose. I am not interested in the ongoing debates of what the large pick up devotees choose. I just prefer and am comfortable with a SUV for my vacation vehicle. Have had Surburbans, Navigator and this is our first MB. The active air suspension make this my new favorite. I have been doing this since 1973. Have fun.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for the info. I'm feeling more and more like I should just make the 1500 mile journey up to Can-Am and let them do the mod. I will talk to them and find out if they can sell me the parts and detailed info on how to do it, if I can find someone locally. Again thank you
Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
My wife and I are looking at this kind of setup for our next camper as we are looking to depart Texas for the Pacific NW and want to get rid of the big popup camper for an airstream that is more amenable to rainy weather.

My only comment is that at first glance it seems rather extravagant to be using a MB as a tow vehicle but when one actually does the math, the big diesel F250s or 2500s in full luxury trim are actually creeping up pretty close to the price of decently outfitted GL350. I haven't aggressively shopped prices but dang...a new F250 Powerstroke in Platinum or King Ranch trim looks like it pushes to within about 5K of the MB. That was an eye opener.

For the average person like myself who doesn't really have that much use for a big diesel truck outside of towing the trailer on occasional vacations the MB seems to make a lot more sense.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Hello John and Vicki,
We also own a GL450. Thinking of buying a 25' Flying Cloud. Did you get your hitch reinforced? If so, who did it for you? If not, are you worried about the hitch welds? My GL hitch is rated for 600 lbs tongue weight and the trailer hitch weighs 837 lbs. I've talked with a few folks around the forum who feel that using a WD hitch and reinforcing the MB hitch is not going to present any problems with towing. Thoughts???
Thank you,
Jon and Elisa
Old 05-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
La Caņada Flintridge , California
I am happily towing a 25FB with a 2015 GL350 with reinforced hitch that CanAm advised on mods with pictures and referral to a shop in the Los Angeles area.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Is this a sufficient combo?

A GL or ML 2012-2013 (7200 tow rating) pulling a 66 Trade wind (4000 lb) with an equalizer hitch & prodigy brake controller?

We are downsizing from a Navigator TV.