Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

After buying a 1 1/2' wrench, ($61), I was able to shorten the cam length and get the saddles sitting perfectly on the cams. Took a couple adjustments. Jack trailer up, remove WD bars, adjust cams, re-install WD bars, lower trailer, check position, repeat. I ended up shortening the cams by about 3 threads. Such a small amount, but after another trip to the scales, it resulted in transferring 20 Kgs from the trailer back onto the TV. The TV front axle didn't change.

I carried on for a longer highway test drive. I really like the way this combination handles. Hardly any porpoising, very subtle sort of floating, way less noticeable than the Tundra. So smooth, quiet, comfortable. It was difficult to tell there was 3180 Kgs of trailer attached to the GL. The power for accelerating from a stop is very impressive. Got a few looks from folks I outpaced at the lights getting up to 100 Kms/hr.

I strongly recommend anyone looking for an alternative to a truck or the truck based SUVs for towing an Airstream to consider the ML/GL sized diesel SUVs. VW, Jeep and others I'm sure, seem to have one in that size as well. Great daily driver, good fuel economy, comfortable and capable tow vehicle.

Thanks to those with ML/GLs that have posted their experiences here. It really helped in making the decision to switch vehicles.

Stephen
StokerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Stephen, congrats on getting the setup nailed down (wish we could get Sports Package with US order but that's another story). My hitch reinforcement is scheduled for June at Can Am (thanks for Andy's help) and perhaps he can suggest how to move more weight forward on the GL since my scale numbers don't look quite as good. At least I have plenty of margin and it rides like a dream. Then we're off to the UP, Banff, Glacier, (perhaps even an obligatory Teton picture since that was impetus for starting the GL journey in the first place) before enjoying a month of the glorious PNW.

As reported by others, 15 MPG towing and approaching 30 solo is what we average. 20K on the GL thus far and a air conditioner seal the only warranty item to date.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Thanks. I'm very happy with the results. At first I was tempted to take the whole thing to a trailer shop and have them adjust the hitch. I figured they wouldn't spend the time to drive to the scales and test the setup. So, I figured with my experience with large mechanical things, (22 years keeping a large steam propulsion plant running in the Navy) I would give it a shot.

I was on the fence about the brake controller, but after realizing that the GL would probably spend a couple hours at the dealership, at $140/hr, opening a portion if the dash to run wires and drilling holes in the brand new car, it was worth the extra expense to get the RF controller. The only other expense was buying 3 wrenches at around $55-61 each to adjust the hitch, and of course my time.

I learned a lot about the hitch setup which benefits me greatly. Understanding how the various adjustments affect the balance and posture of both TV and TT.

Time well spent.

Stephen
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokerDoc View Post
So, I figured with my experience with large mechanical things, (22 years keeping a large steam propulsion plant running in the Navy) I would give it a shot. Stephen
Thanks for the encouragement with your Airstream/Mercedes setup. Really nice.

In the late 70's we brought some helo's aboard the HMCS Provider for an exercise out of your naval station near Victoria. Any chance you were there?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

No, I didn't join the navy until 1990. I released from the navy at the tail end of 2012 while still young enough for a second career. I choose Mr. Mom. The better half is still in the military, so me being home with the kids helps while she is off working hard in Hawaii right now.

The ship I spent quite a bit of time on, keeping it's large steam plant running, was towed back to Hawaii after a large fire in her engine room stranded her at sea at the end of February. My wife is part if the team investigating the incident.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I am sorry I did not get back to this earlier.

We have several customers with GLK's now. We have used them with the gas engine for several years but the new diesel is quite a bit more popular. All have been very pleased with the performance and fuel economy. The base price is a very good deal but if you load it up with option packages you start getting into the price of the .3.0 Litre diesels. It is a wallop of torque for a little motor but it is well proven in europe where it it is used extensively in commercial vehicles.

Hi Druker: Your 27' Safari is a very stable trailer and I am sure it feels pretty good on the GL but you really should consider putting some weight distribution and a sway control on there. A Eaz-Lift 600 pound would be pretty easy on the receiver and you can easily upgrade the bars if you get it reinforced sometime.

If you are towing without a reinforced receiver try and avoid dips that is what really puts strain on the hitch. If you get into a situation where you can't avoid a severe one removing the torsion bars before you get into it takes the strain off the receiver.

This picture is what I mean about dips, you can see how far the torsion bar bends here and look at the car, the front suspension right down on the stops and the back tires are almost off the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torsion Bar Travel.png
Views:	275
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	209572  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
"I was on the fence about the brake controller, but after realizing that the GL would probably spend a couple hours at the dealership, at $140/hr, opening a portion if the dash to run wires and drilling holes in the brand new car".

Just in case anyone else runs into this. ML's and GL's with the tow package have the brake control prewired under the dash it is pretty straight forward to install one.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

I was aware of the pre-wiring. The little green plug in the driver's foot well. My issue was I wanted the install super neat and tidy, putting the controller in front of the cup holders under the center console in that little cubby. It would require popping some panels off and routing wires down past the driver's leg to get to the green plug.

Hence, the RF route.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Now I understand

Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
I was aware of the pre-wiring. The little green plug in the driver's foot well. My issue was I wanted the install super neat and tidy, putting the controller in front of the cup holders under the center console in that little cubby. It would require popping some panels off and routing wires down past the driver's leg to get to the green plug.

Hence, the RF route.
I have done almost that. Here is a photo. Take a look at this link in the Benz Forum for details:

Electric break controller installation - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	209666  
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Rostam
I had actually looked at your install on the MB forum. I had a standard brake controller ready to go and I was talking with the service department at MB about popping off a panel or two and routing the wire. They hadn't done one before, and had to check into the pigtail ends from MB. It made me think that I would be paying for them to learn, and that would add up fast. I'm pretty happy with the RF so far. I have the bits to make a plug-in for the trailer module so I can re-pair on the road if it un-pairs. I'm going to incorporate a switch to turn the running lights on for fun in the campsite. Hopefully not to bother anyone, just to add some character.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Rostam
I had actually looked at your install on the MB forum. I had a standard brake controller ready to go and I was talking with the service department at MB about popping off a panel or two and routing the wire. They hadn't done one before, and had to check into the pigtail ends from MB. It made me think that I would be paying for them to learn, and that would add up fast. I'm pretty happy with the RF so far. I have the bits to make a plug-in for the trailer module so I can re-pair on the road if it un-pairs. I'm going to incorporate a switch to turn the running lights on for fun in the campsite. Hopefully not to bother anyone, just to add some character.
Happy that everything worked out great
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #53

Mercedes GL/ML as a tow vehicle

I was hoping for some advice on what I can safely tow with my 2012 GL 450. I have yet to buy the airstream and hoping to get a 25FB.

The GL It is rated at 7500 lbs in towing and a 600lb hitch weight. The airstream states a Hitch Weight (w/LP & w/o options, water & cargo) (lbs.)833Unit Base Weight (lbs.)5,612Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.)7,300

The hitch weight seems to be the limiting factor. Now, my understanding is a weight distribution attachement only transfers weight to the front axle for stabiltiy reasons and the hitch weight is unchanged. The other aspect that confuses me on the airstream is the hitch weight reported appears to be unloaded. I would think the hitch weight can vary a lot on an RV depending on what and where you load the trailer. Can't I can just load my trailer in the rear and lower the hitch weight thus keeping the trailer under the 7,300 and lowerinig my hitch weight to 600 lbs?

Also, do I need to get a weight distribution attachment? Some people say that it is not good to use this with air suspension.

I see people on this thread pull a 30 airstream and find that amazing.

Any help or advice you can give me would be great.

Thanks.
mooeymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is a hitch modification done by CanAm in London Ontario (Andrew T) that made it possible for my first month of production (October 2006) 2007 ML 320 CDI able to tow our empty 2013 25FB International Serenity home through the mountains to the East edge of Phoenix from the dealership in Los Angeles. They also modified the Hensley stinger by making it shorter and puting a slight down bend in it to preload the Hensley spring arms. The weight ratings of the car were within limits on this trip except that the trailer was close to 5,400 pounds.

In the mountains, I used the paddle shifters to keep the engine rpms at the max torque point and only dropped back to 5th on the steepest grade running the California towing speed limit of 55 mph.

Along with the Hensley hitch, I used the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller. I needed the RF unit as the first two months production of the diesel ML had all the trailer brake wiring terminated in the right rear of the car, so all the interior would have to be top torn up to get the wires to the driver's foot well.

After we loaded the 25FB for camping and crossed the scales with both of us in the car, the ML front axle rating was exceeded and the GVW rating of the car was exceeded. The trailer weight was at 6,990 pounds of it's 7,300 pound GVW limit. Our car was rated to tow 5,000 pounds at that time and a pen or pencil with eraser changed that limit to over 7,000 pound on the later year models with no apparent mechanical changes.

We elected to acquire a more robust tow vehicle so no specifications in the tow vehicle would ever be exceeded regardless of the Airstream trailer. However, a recent 34' Classic tri-axle we looked at would have pushed the combined vehicle towing weight limits of this truck if the the trailer was loaded to full GVW. There are no weight issues with our Classic model 30.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I have a 2011 GL350 that i tow my Safari 30 with. My Safari gvwr is 8440 but i tow at just a tick over 7000 lbs and the GL does great. I bought my Airstream new back in 06 and the GL is my third tow vehicle so i have some reference to others on the same trailer.

On the GL i use a ProPride hitch, prodigy brake controller and i forget which draw bars i have. The trailer says it has a 840 lb tonque weight but i have relocated some heavy stuff off the tonque to aft the axles so i am not sure what i am at. I do know i am within the front and rear max axle loads of the GL. Even with 5 kids in the car.
I get 14 towing compared to 9 or 10 with Suburbans plus i can get 28 vehicle alone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

First season with the GL

As the year comes to a close, I thought I would reflect on our experiences with the GL as a TV. We did 4 small weekend trips which helped to get used to the GL 350 BlueTec diesel compared to the 5.7 L gas Tundra. It seemed to behave very well on the shorter drives. The big test would be our summer trip.

This trip turned into a 10,000 mile cross country journey that I thoroughly enjoyed. The trip east from Victoria was all interstate to get us to Jackson Center for some work on the trailer. We maintained 65 mph and returned a respectable 16 US mpg. average. Smooth, quiet, only slowed marginally on steeper hills. I'm still using a Reese dual cam hitch, so still felt the push/pull of the trucks passing. Nothing too serious. I've read quite a few folks SERIOUSLY like the ProPride. I may give myself one for Xmas.

After a few days in Ohio, our trip north allowed a stop at Can-Am for the "Standard hitch reinforcement" by Andy's team. After the reinforcement and substantial shank shortening, I had to rebalance the hitch to get optimal weight transfer again. Glad I brought wrenches with me.

Grabbed my niece and nephew, so now 2 adults and 4 kids in the GL, and enough supplies in the trailer for a 4 week trip back west via Route 66, after a loop through south eastern Ontario, we were off. A stop at a CAT scale fully loaded, including a full fresh water tank, confirmed I was within the limits on axle and vehicle ratings. Here are the CAT scale numbers: FA 3250#(3400 Limit), RA 3850#(3960 limit), GVW 7100#(7150 limit), TT 6900#(7600 limit). Admittedly, a bit close on a couple numbers, but we were traveling with 6, instead of the usual 4.

Our trip west was 50/50 interstate/back rounds. With more stopping and starting, and lower speeds, on the back roads we still managed 15 US mpg average for our trip home. The time on the interstate raised our average a bit. The only time we may have asked the GL to do more than we should have, was in August in New Mexico and Arizona. A long climb up a hill in 110 deg weather with the AC on. The engine temp started climbing pretty quickly. Slowing down to about 40 mph allowed it to settle at about 20 deg F below redline. I considered opening the windows and going full heat inside the vehicle, but slowing from 60 ish mph to 40 mph in the truck lane didn't inconvienence us at all.

To summarize, the GL 350 BlueTec performed beyond my expectations. All 6 of us enjoyed a quiet smooth ride with minimal buffeting from trucks, good fuel economy, and a very easy to maneuver vehicle in the downtown areas when we unhitched and explored. The real bonus is the non-towing fuel economy. While the trailer was at Jackson Center, I drove 750 highway miles on 26.3 US gals of gas. 28.5 mpg. (Before needing to refuel, one tank).

Hopefully those thinking along the lines of the mid-sized SUVs (ML, GL, VW, Porche diesels) for a potential TV, will use this and others experiences to help make their decision as well informed as possible.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Thanks for the great update. I hope you don't mind if I use it.

If you like you can do a minor tweak to the tire size on the GL which will eliminate that bit of movement you now get from trucks.

Andrew T

Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Andy

Please feel free to use my experiences. I welcome any feedback from you or others who share the same vehicle type. I'm sure there are tips that can benefit us all.

A small thing to add, but I found running with the air suspension dampening set to "Sport" mode as opposed to "Comfort" mode smoothed the ride considerably. Way less porpoising.

As for changing my tire size, I opted for the Sport Package, which gave me 295/40R21 wheels and tires. I'm not sure I could improve upon that.

I do regret that I was only able to bring the GL and not both TV and TT to your shop for the hitch reinforcement. I would have benefited from you tweaking my set up. Your technician did note that my hitch head was showing signs of wear, and I needed to use more grease where the trunnions bars seat. Maybe that and a bit of wear I've noticed on the cam saddles contributes to my slight "push" I feel when a truck overtakes me hence, my consideration for a ProPride.

A very small note, near the end of my post I mentioned getting 750 miles on 26.3 gals of 'gas', should have typed DIESEL. I haven't made the mistake of putting gas in the tank, and I hope I never do. (Knocks on wood).
Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Good report StokerDoc! We have virtually the same setup (unfortunately the US model isn't available with the Sports Package so I'm truly envious on that front) and when we happened to be at JC at the same time it made for a great photo op and chance to study each of our setups. We really like our PP hitch, especially after Andy's crew tweaked our hitch while we were having the hitch reinforced. We ended up with about 12K miles of travel over the summer, with a slightly higher MPG range but that's understandable given our load was much lighter with only two dogs along (oh, the serenity). Feel very fortunate that my TV research led us to the GL350, it's been remarkable towing and the general comfort is unsurpassed in a three row SUV. Next summer's travels will definitely be Pacific Northwest centric so hopefully another "twin" photo op will be available.

Have a great holiday!
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
A slightly narrower P275/40R x 21 XL would tighten it up but the size is only available in very high performance summer tires. They would work great but not for very long. Likely only a 40-50,000 Kilometer tread life. 25-30,000 miles.