Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Mercedes G500 help w/ towing...

First post here after reading many, many posts. We have a g500 that weighs around 5,500 lbs. All time 4wd w/ 500 engine and 292 hp. Towing capacity is 7,000 lb on the m/b website.
Don't plan on long distance outings.....just around the DFW area to football games, ranch (90 miles) etc. A few hunting trips in Tx w/ friends, etc.
Can we safely pull a 27' safari, or bigger, with all the correct equipment?

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.....

Bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
I don't see why it wouldn't haul up to a 30'...but some of the more experienced Airstreamers should be able to add their input. Good Luck with your search and have a ball with your new baby whenever she arrives!

2006 23' Safari
2007 F350 Lariat Crew 4X4 PSD
AIR# 21875
WBCCI# 3778
Region 3, Unit 144 (Eastern North Carolina)
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
_

. , .
hi bo and welcome to the forums...

the g wagon has a marginally short wheel base for a modern longer a/s....

and an a/s 25ft or longer, will be pushing the tow capacity for a loaded trailer.

IF you are gonna use the g wagon here's your hitch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

david tidmore at rogerwilliamsairstream in weatherford texas is the place to go....

he can get you in the right trailer AND expertly set up the haha and g wagon for ya.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
On our last outing to Upstate New York we parked beside, and a few days later travelled with a couple that were towing a 25'+ newish Airstream with a 350ML. He raved about how well it worked. On a very windy day we followed the combo for a number of hours. It tracked straight and smooth without the slightest wimper. It cruised up the Up State New York hills and bridges very well too. The big 500 should only be better.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
...a couple that were towing a 25'+ newish Airstream with a 350ML...The big 500 should only be better.
the m class suv and the PRE 2007-8 g wagon are 2 completely different animals...

different platforms, radically different suspensions and made in 2 different countries (is austria still a country?)....

the classic g wagons (like bo drives) are more like german rock crawlerhumveejeeper things, than hiway cruz'n suvs.

lots of body roll in turns and a 112? inch wheelbase.

now the NEW g (or is it GL) is a 3rd critter-a new luxoliner nearly full size suv, to be built in BAMA!

while i think the g wagon will work ok, another issue is the payload limit of 1500lbs....

so a tongue of 800lbs and hitch of 200lbs only leaves 500lbs for people and gear INSIDE the wagon.

of course the armour plated version reduces the payload to about 200 kilos!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm in total agreement with whats been said about the Mercedes offering in terms of this particular question.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
NO
A benz or any other non american car is not build to tow a american trailor
overhere the tonque weight is 75 kg ( around 200 pound ) MAX.
A G 500 is a great car to tow a european horse trailer or so but NOT for a airstream.
These cars are NOT designd to be used with a weight distribution hitch simply becouse we don't have that system overhere.
If you put yourself in a dangerous situation becouse your towing with the wrong TV its your problem.
But when you do that on the open road and get other people involved it's a other story.
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
What Rem says is correct, in my opinion. You'd have to see a European trailer hitch to understand. It is (I believe) attached to the axle or somewhere under the car, and comes out from under this in a long curved thingie with a bulb on the end where the trailer tongue goes on. It just looks weird.
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
_

. , .
well thanks 2 the euro guys for posting a dose of reality...

these early g wagens brought into the states were all grey market deals...

and they were NOT built to u.s. specs.

while they are body on frame, finding or adapting a traditional class 4/5 receiver could be a challenge...

i don't see any receivers available online for the classic g wagens, except 'audio' versions

and the receiver issue may be the weak link like on the t-rex/audi/porsche.

there is no problem a pile of green and steel and an engineer can't solve...

but it may be more effort to set up the g than it's worth.

this guy took the wise approach in the rockies instead of screwing up his porsche...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...oad-33995.html

since you are in texas, why not get a nice kings ranch ford!

i thought owning a 3/4 ton diesel was required in the lone star state!

it looks like the g wagen owners have several enthusiast forums, but not much info on towing...

maybe someone there can help you...

The Mercedes-G Site

ML, GL, G-Wagen, R-Class & Unimog [Archive] - ShopForum

best of luck and let us know what u do!

cheers
2air'

Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
From some web browsing and a little experience with the previous MBUSA SUV's, it seems these make pretty good tow vehicles IF set up properly with the leg up being the very short rear overhang. WD is critical on these lightly sprung, short wheelbase units.
CanAm would be a good first call.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Thanks to each of you...... Hiho do you have a number for can am?
Still confused by the width of opinions. 2 tx dealers have stated that the g500 would work if set up correctly. over 60% of folks on one of the mercedes bbs's said the same............... any other comments, or experts' phone #s to call would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your time and help,

Bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree the old G series and the ML series are two different animals. I tow our 20' with our ML500 and it works wonderfully. My next vehicle will be a GL diesel.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Pesky Sales People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Charlie
.....Still confused by the width of opinions. 2 tx dealers have stated that the g500 would work if set up correctly. over 60% of folks on one of the mercedes bbs's said the same...............
Those pesky sales people - always telling customers what they want to hear....

Can you pull a 27'er and still be within specs? - don't think so...

MB G500 - Max weight 6834 lbs
Dry weight 5510 lbs

That leaves 1324 lbs for beer, gas, driver, squeeze, and dog.

AS 27' tongue weight - 790 lbs
Tank of gas for the Benz - 162 lbs
Weight Dist. Hitch - 100 lbs (MUCH more for a Hensley)
Driver - 200 lbs
Squeeze - 140 lbs

You're already over Max Allowable Gross on the 'Benz AND you have to leave the Beer and the Dog behind!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks to each of you...... Hiho do you have a number for can am?
Still confused by the width of opinions. 2 tx dealers have stated that the g500 would work if set up correctly. over 60% of folks on one of the mercedes bbs's said the same............... any other comments, or experts' phone #s to call would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your time and help,

Bo
Hi Bo...I would talk to Andy Thomson at CanAm RVs (search should find it...ignore the US rental company with a similar name). W/O starting the whole issue of what TV can pull what...CanAm has 40-50? years of TV set-up and seem to know how to best set up a vehicle to tow at its' maximum capabilty (again...not arguing if they are right or wrong!).

The CanAm web site shows the types of TV combos they have that they actually allow "test" drives with. I am confident they can give you good input what you should do with your vehicle to best prepare it for towing your AS...unless you buy a one ton, dual rear wheel, diesel as a tow vehicle...just kidding ...Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
you have to leave the Beer and the Dog behind!
No dog, no deal for me!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
...Still confused by the width of opinions. 2 tx dealers have stated that the g500 would work if set up correctly...
it IS confusing, and especially when the advice comes from folks who don't have a g wagen or have driven/seen one.

wayne/sam, dennis and rem are giving you the right (hard) picture.

it's even funnier when the advice is from folks who don't own either a tv or trailer.

the issue isn't that it can be made to work. sure it can, but what's involved and how much will it cost and will it be safe.

those are the issues.

again have you been by the weatherford shop? you will get good/safe advice there.

if they haven't done a g wagen (these were gray market imports toping 100k$ each) they will be honest about it and still work through the problem.

contacting the canadian shop is silly. welding a receiver onto the bottom doesn't allow you to greatly exceed the carry/tow capacity.

no dog, no beer, no brisket=no fun.

there IS a reason this shop is in canada folks, so get a grip.

are you gonna drive the g-wagon to eastern canada for set up? i can't imagine driving an 02 g 3-4,000 miles round trip on interstates.

has it even been out of texas in the last 4 years (after the sw purchase)?

are you gonna never go over 60 mph in texas?

the problem is your initial post suggest a NEW 27 footer or BIGGER and "with all the equipment"

no doubt a smaller trailer or lighter older unit might work out, but GO TO the weatherford shop in person.

lastly, take a reality break and redefine what size a/s you want and where it's gonna b used.

then decide how much liability you wanna assume for the look of using the old g....

cheers
2air'

Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
It is not so mutch the overloading of the GVWR That I'm woried about .
Or the short wheelbase of the G compared to the trailor.
It is the tonque weight and the use of a WD hitch on a TV that is not designt for it.
Normaly a european car will see no more that 75 KG maby 100 KG max as hitch weight .
It's more than just a wild gues that these frames are not designt for a 800 pound tonque weight and the stress from a WD hitch.
Would you tow your AS on just a bumper mounted ball???
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcolent
It's more than just a wild gues that these frames are not designt for a 800 pound tonque weight and the stress from a WD hitch.
The same questions were asked when the imported T-reg and Cayanne hit the western shores and once the pro's evaluated the vehicles it was a non issue. One could suggest the Heavy Duty G500 would be similar. An evaluation would be in order to be sure.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I dunno, maybe it's just me...but if you can afford a Benz and an Airstream, what would stop ya from being able to swing a true 3/4 ton (new or pre-owned) to pull a trailer of nearly 4 tons or more and over 25'? If you came here talking 19' Bambi, I'd think differently.

So many folks have, including myself, have tried to modify or get a vehicle to do things it really shouldn't. I too was one that put several thousand miles on a questionable TV for my application. I had no real problems either to speak of, but I did feel there were times when I could have lost it, particularly in high wind situations. Since getting the Burb, longer wheelbase, heavier vehicle, I don't have even the slightest hint of concern. It's a night and day difference. I can get my snowblower to move my Safari, but whats the point? I myself would be hard pressed to contact CanAm, when the answer is fairly simple. There are no shortcuts in math or physics IMHO, some may not agree and some may even post how they've done it for years. Makes it neither right or justified in my book.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Buitenpost , Frl
I have looked up the €uro (Netherlands) tongue weight for the G500.
It is 140 kgs or 308 lbs.
The GVW for the trailer is 2750 kgs or 6060 lbs (short WB).
The GVW for the trailer is 3500 kgs or 7710 lbs (long WB).
This maybe a good indication for what it is designed for.
jurjen is offline   Reply With Quote