2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
Hello,
I am interested in a 2009 28' Flying Cloud( net 5500, gross 7300) and want to know if I have enough tow vehichle. I have a 2002 Mercedes G500 with a tow rating of 7000 pounds... Can I do this safely?
uh oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt14 View Post
I'm not so convinced the G isn't a good choice. A few raw specifications doesn't do it for me.
Huh?

28' Flying Cloud - GVW 7300 lbs.
Mercedes G500 - tow rating 7000 lbs.

Yeah, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #44
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
My wife made me buy a new 2008 F250.
[quote=2airishuman;610396]that's one smart woman!

And I would say an even smarter husband for doing what his wife said!

Seriously though, with a 28' Flying Cloud, you really wouldn't have to go with a 3/4 ton or a diesel. Even so, I would suggest that if you do decide to go 3/4 ton that you go diesel. Chevy no longer makes a diesel Suburban, IIRC, so that leaves a gently used Excursion or even more slightly used Suburban. The new 3/4 ton crew cabs can be almost SUV like except for the third row seats. My '08 F-250 doesn't ride half bad; much better than my '05 did.

I have a 30' Safari (Flying Cloud equivalent, except my model is no longer made) and I could tow it with my wife's standard wheel base '07 Expedition. I recently weighed my truck and trailer combo and weighed my truck separately and took the difference. My trailer loaded for camping including 5/8 tank of fresh water and a few gallons of gray and black water weighs in at 8,300 LBS. The wife's Expedition's tow rating is 9,400 LBS. Rich Luhr, publisher of Airstream Life Magazine, has the same trailer that I have and he tows with a Nissan Armada. Similar in horse power, engine size, wheel base, etc. to the wifes Expedition and he has towed in the northern Rockies. But like 2air suggest, you will be happier at elevations from 9,000 ft and above with a diesel; you will have less loss of torque and horse power with the diesel. No matter what you go with, make sure it has a transmission cooler and front and rear sway bars in the suspension.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I did it! I would like to let everyone know that a 2002 Mercedes G 500 will not only pull a 2009 28' Flying Cloud it will do it with power to spare. I have driven 2000 miles in the last month since I took delivery and have driven 9500 ft mt passes, dirt roads in Moab,and all over the intermouintan west and I would have to say the only problem I can see is trying not to speed. I dont of course. I have taken the rig on windy interstates and not felt uncomfortable at all. Not only does the set up look great, it feels safe and steady. I do have a equalizer hitch and I will try to post a picture as soon as possible. I have stayed ( and traveled) in snow and freezing temps and the airstream is awesome, FOR THE RECORD, it works safely and the G is plenty of truck. I will say I tow dry and dont carry much but at this point the only negative I have to say is trying to find a satellite signal, those dishes should come with a bottle of whiskey and a valum! Surely im not alone on that.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Way to go Jim! Thanks for posting your update.

The G500 is a high tech tow vehicle with an incredible motor and tranny.

Glad to see you thought past the conventional wisdom of the 3/4 ton.

You've an awesome setup and.......what a way to tow!! Only problem is.... now I am jealous

...........Scott
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
I finally stopped laughing and can now punch out this e-mail. It's no surprise to me that your Bebz did just fine. That's a heck of a machine. What you have to understand is that if you are going to use an american veihcle (Ford/GM/Chrysler) then yes it needs to be big and oversized. Those machines are anequated. Solid rear axles, poorly engineered ingines and trannys and I don't even want to talk about the frames, they haven't figured out how to do anything but use solid steel tubes running front to back. Not a signifiant improvement from a horse and carriage used 100 years ago. So if you use a Big 3 vehicle, it needs to be well over sized or you wil lrun into problems.

A Mercedes is quite a vehicle, a real vehicle. Sure you can't haul a half a ton of manuer in the back, but you can tow plenty of trailer with it. It's modern technology and capable of a heck of a lot more than the big 3 can dream of. Heck, Mercedes invented the diesel and they are still the leader of that technology. But just the basics like the chassis are abosolutely amazing. Again no surprise you had no problems.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
I was glad to see Jim setup his rig to keep the MB but to each his own redDirt. The great thing about an Airstream is you can match one up to pretty much whatever vehicle you lean towards. A 3/4 ton from Detroit is overkill for many Airstream models but is the vehicle of choice if your taste in trailers has 30+ feet sitting on 3 axles.

Last time I checked the G500 preferred gasoline.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks so much, I will post a picture soon. I have to admit I was worried about the wheelbase as well but I think alot of my good fortune is the Airstream itself. Im sure a trailer of that weight shaped like a box on one axle would be a different story. There is a light on the dash of the G that comes on when the electronic stability program is active and we havent seen it once, so I dont even feel as though we are close to a dangerous situation. I have to admit, towing the Airstream to Moab I did feel a bit snobby but there as here, there were still some car enthusiasts who could appreciate the rig for more than something they had seen on a music video. And once we got set up, we took the G wagon on trails that were ATV quaility and had a blast!I have to be honest, pulling the Airstream with the Benz is amazing, my favorite part is coming back to the car after pumping gas or going in to a store, beautiful. I think the Germans can make some of the finest automobiles in the world, combine that with the absolute best travel trailer in the world and I will tell you, there are worse ways to go through life. That being said I hope I have a long one, I will need to to pay for all these toys!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #50
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am glad it worked out for you. The proof is in the pudding, as always, not so much in theories over this and that.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
I am glad it worked out for you. The proof is in the pudding, as always, not so much in theories over this and that.
Agree uwe. Arm chair theories and evaluations can only take one so far, especially with the variable sciences of towing and TV's.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
especially with the variable sciences of towing and TV's.
It's one part science, two or three parts opinion.