Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Big Jim your wheel base is the issue. Although it has a nice wide stance. There is a chart used by drag racers mostly in nastalgic classes. When you shprten the wheel base ( what you have ) you widen the stance. That is why an altered is essentially a dragster, not as long but wider. I wonder if that isnt Mercedes theory behind there towing capacity. I like your utility vehicle better than the Land Rover. Thats a good lookin unit.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Once again what a great website, thank you for all the comments. I spoke with Mercedes today and they have tried to re asure me that the "G" will work. Naturally a hitch will be $1300 wich I know would make a nice down payment on a truck, I think I will position myself to get a new TV when I go to pick up the trailer and make a desicion on that day. If I dont feel safe then I will not hesitate to get rid of my "pride and joy G wagon". Afterall it looks like my Flying Cloud my take the " pride and joy" spot in the stable.Mercedes seems confident but I have a young family and saftey is paramount.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
ME4US

2007 27' Classic FB
Bath , Maine
27" Classic 2005 with a Toyota Tundra

We just purchased a 2007 AS Classic 27' with a empty weight of 6700 lbs. and a max. fully loaded weight of 9000 lbs. We have as a TV a 2008 Toyota Tundra with a max. tow weight rating of 10,300 lbs. So far we have logged 3000 miles on our first major trip and all seems fine. Yes, when going up a long steep grade I might like to have more capacity. The Toyota with the 5.7L I-Force engine has almost 400 HP and for all but the extreme situations, this should be enough. I know it's a pain, but too much TV makes the process easy and too little TV can make this experience a nightmare.

If your TV is rated for 7000 lbs. I would want to know that the trailer with the items we might need for a trip would not be over 6300 lbs. Leave a little room in case.

Best wishes and see you on the road.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by me4us View Post
We just purchased a 2007 AS Classic 27' with a empty weight of 6700 lbs. and a max. fully loaded weight of 9000 lbs. We have as a TV a 2008 Toyota Tundra with a max. tow weight rating of 10,300 lbs. So far we have logged 3000 miles on our first major trip and all seems fine. Yes, when going up a long steep grade I might like to have more capacity. The Toyota with the 5.7L I-Force engine has almost 400 HP and for all but the extreme situations, this should be enough. I know it's a pain, but too much TV makes the process easy and too little TV can make this experience a nightmare.

If your TV is rated for 7000 lbs. I would want to know that the trailer with the items we might need for a trip would not be over 6300 lbs. Leave a little room in case.

Best wishes and see you on the road.
How much weight do have in the truck? The towing ability is only part of the equation. I bet your hitch weight with full propane and a loaded trailer is close to 800 pounds. Your Tundra has a TOTAL payload capacity of 1580 pounds. That leaves you with 780 pounds of capacity to divide between fuel (230 pounds with 26.5 gallons of fuel) now leaving you with 550 pounds for people and other stuff.

It doesn't take much to exceed the overall capability of the 1/2 ton truck.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
Once again what a great website, thank you for all the comments. I spoke with Mercedes today and they have tried to re asure me that the "G" will work. Naturally a hitch will be $1300 wich I know would make a nice down payment on a truck, I think I will position myself to get a new TV when I go to pick up the trailer and make a desicion on that day. If I dont feel safe then I will not hesitate to get rid of my "pride and joy G wagon". Afterall it looks like my Flying Cloud my take the " pride and joy" spot in the stable.Mercedes seems confident but I have a young family and saftey is paramount.
Jim,

I had 2 of the short wheelbase G-wagens a long time ago, and towed all sorts of paraphernalia with it, like WW2 military junk on Uhaul-type car hauler trailers.
Not wanting to encourage you to break the law, the G-wagens suspension and handling is far superior to that of both of the Suburbans I owned. You know first hand how well the g-wagens corner and how they stop on a dime with change to boot.
I remember quite a few trips up and down some twisty mountain roads with a trailer in tow where the truck wouldn't even budge, and mine were the short short short ones with the 2 doors and hard top.
So, before you dismiss the idea of towing with a g-wagen, think it over and keep in mind that it's road holding capabilities are far above anything made in US.....and that it's not exactly a light truck, either. No need to discuss the engine's capability at this point.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
You are the first person I have heard from that has used a "G" to tow that I have heard from, you seem to feel like Mercedes of North America. They told me I would have no problem, mine is the 4 door version wich is relativley longer and I have to admit the thing has unbelivable tourque especially in low gears, I was told it would be equivalent to a H1 in many ways but even still I want to be safe. I was thinking of getting the rig and making my first trip to a scale to see if I was under my gross weight, what do you think?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
You are the first person I have heard from that has used a "G" to tow that I have heard from, you seem to feel like Mercedes of North America. They told me I would have no problem, mine is the 4 door version wich is relativley longer and I have to admit the thing has unbelivable tourque especially in low gears, I was told it would be equivalent to a H1 in many ways but even still I want to be safe. I was thinking of getting the rig and making my first trip to a scale to see if I was under my gross weight, what do you think?
It's difficult to explain the handling differences to those tha haven't driven a vehicle like yours.
Going to the scales is definitely good start.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I agree, and 2002 is the first years they were made for the US. That means it has the Electronic Stability Program wich makes it almost difficult to get away from you even with our 350" a year snowfall where I live. Its a tank for sure, that being said its a big trailer. Hopefully the rigid suspension will help with the tounge weight and with a 7000 pound tow weight and a 5500 pound trailer(net) I think its at least worth a try, if nothing else, for the picture! Even if it is on the way to trade in right?I will definitly let you all know what happens, the trailer is being built I found out today, should be in around the 20th of Sep.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
... I was told it would be equivalent to a H1 in many ways but even still I want to be safe...
i've driven both the postgray market merc (last generation) and the real H1...

comparing them is silly, EXCEPT for the slab sides and blockish shapes and cabin noise...

and i SURE would NOT tow a LARGE modern 'steam with either.

the merc is nice at hiway speeds and ON hiways, except for the wind noise and mpg...

the H1 won't GO at highway speeds, except downhill. zero2sixty is measured with a sundial.

however at 35-45 mph the hummer has NO equals, NONE.

off road or on trails there is NO comparison. the hummer will EAT the merc all day long.

the steering, suspension and torsen all wheel drive is AMAZING in those elements.

but comparing the merc to the hummer for TOWING, well....

the hummer IS lousy at towing an airstream, yep i've done it.

check the towing rating on a 3-6 year old H1, it is MUCH less than most would imagine.

IF u wanna get yer trailer and TRY it with the geewagon, fine, that's good empiric learning.

but that 1300 bucks is JUST for the receiver, not the hitch or wiring or brake controller or actual HITCH apparatus...

and with THAT wheel base you will want a haha or 3p which is another 2500$+...

have fun, be safe, it's only money, unless something bad happens.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

off road or on trails there is NO comparison. the hummer will EAT the merc all day long.
That wasn't what we experienced on the Rubicon trail a few years back. Hummers didn't even make it through the easy stuff.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
_

. , .
many sections of the rubicon are TOO NARROW for a H1.

rock crawling is an entirely different thing,

notice the "35-45 mph" movement suggested.

a hummer taken THROUGH that area, but NOT of established trails would do fine.

professional drivers demonstating that a given 4/4 can navigate that specific recreational trail wasn't my reference...

and still doesn't refute the main issue of TOWING a large modern 'stream with either.

look, i've ridden a pedal powered mountain bike in areas where the hummer or merc or any other tv would fail...

so what's that prove?

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Cheers???

2air -

Are you lookin' for an arguement? as usual.... or just throwing around the multiplicity of 'experiences' you have had, have done, experienced or watched others do....

Just wonderin' ??? As it seems that the question at hand seems to have been shelved in favor of invitations to try to get the 'king' off the mountain.... But then there is always the question of what the "definition" of 'king' is.... But I digress....

Back to the G-wagen question.... shelve the bike references!

Ciao!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
woah, WWII is over guys, and we won, but that still doesnt convince me the H1 is any better on or off road than a G. Even if the H1 is 10% better off road , the H1 driver listens to diesel and the G wagen driver can listen to motzart wrapped in leather with seat warmers on and on the highway the G accelerates faster than anything the US miltary has that doesnt fly. Not to mention the G was here before the Hummer and I dare say it will still be in production after the Hummer. But remember, we were talking about Airstreams. I bet if you take a room full of young vets( like me USAF) and let them pick you better have three G wagons for every H1 because all around your right, comparing the two is silly, the G is a way better all around buggy, time has allready proven that. Lightheartedly bigjim
Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too thought we were all talkin about towing. As I pointed out earlier, I don't think the engine in the G is in question, but obviously, if you have the $$$ for a G and an Airstream, than about $2k (if 2air's projections are correct) should not be an issue for you. Regardless of affordability I bought a 3/4 ton Suburban. Is it as well built and agile as the G? Nope, but it does the trick very well with my 25 footer, with axle upgrades could also be upward of 7300lbs as well (right now it's about 6200 loaded with the older axles). I too bought based on the possibility of kids being in the mix. Without kids I would have gone with a crew cab duramax pickup. With the possibility of kids, the Suburban won out, and it has a 9400lb tow rating.

If I read correctly, the G has a 112" wheelbase. The Suburban has 130" wheelbase. Electronic controls for stability only go so far and mind you they are geared for that particualr vehicle that the are installed in. Having towed my 25' Airstream with a 118" wheelbase I can tell you first hand that in high winds (25+mph) it wasn't fun at all. The trailer moved me and it was a constant fight to keep it on the road and not a ditch or the grassy median of the highway. My prev tow vehicle weighes about as much as the G and I will be the very first to say, moving a 7000lb RV (in my case 6200lbs) with a short wheelbase 5500lb vehicle, the trailer will OWN you. If it want to move in a different direction, no vehicle stability will help in out, you will move as the trailer wants you to move with only slight input from you and the stability control.

You've clearly stated that safety of your family is paramount and money seems to not be a big issue...trading the G will most likely be a even wash for a new longer wheelbase truck with a higher rated tow capacity. I love GM, but frankly in your situation, I doesn't matter what you go with, just something with a longer wheelbase (at least 130") and a higher tow rating.

Again, the G is a phenomenal truck and does what it is designed to do well. But the laws of physics can not be overcome by even the most stout engineering (5500lb truck moving a 7000+RV with a short wheelbase). It has the potential to be a receipe for disaster if yer not careful.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote