Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary.ehrlich View Post
I didn't put a mat down the first time and am having a lot of trouble getting the dog hairs out of the carpet. Other than that it is just a sweet machine, towing or not.
A friend in the US told me about this product by Scotch. He tells me that it does an amzing job of getting dog hair out of his truck's carpet and upholstery. We can't get them in Canada yet, but thought I'd pass this along in case it helps...

3M Fur Fighter™ Hair Remover
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary.ehrlich View Post
It is a wonderful machine and has absolutely no problem towing our 25ft internaitonal. I really like the automatic rear door and automatic fold down seats. Makes like so much easier when your arms are loaded. The only thing I don't like is we take the dogs with us and it seems a crime to cover the interior in dog hair and drool. I didn't put a mat down the first time and am having a lot of trouble getting the dog hairs out of the carpet. Other than that it is just a sweet machine, towing or not.
I agree. They are built so tough you can feel it. And the engine never seems to be under much load. A 7 speed tranny certainly helps there. I'm getting just over 27 mpg on the highway and have gone over 30 (maybe 34) in ideal conditions. I go as low as 20-22 in heavy stop and go city traffic.
reddirt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ Mercedes diesel

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Mercedes diesel. Jeep uses a 5 speed transmission, so the mileage is about 23 highway (not towing) and 17 highway (towing a 1963 Tradewind).

It has plenty of power. No downshifting. I can barely feel the difference when I am towing.

I bought this vehicle because I wanted a modern car with the "classic" look of a 70's Jeep Wagoneer used in airstream ads. My Dad pulled a 1962 Overlander with a Wagoneer. We put thousands of miles towing all over the United States, Canada, and Mexico. I never remember having any problems.

Having owned several Mercedes vehicles (2 diesels) I know this engine is probably good for the rest of my towing life (I am 59).

Mike Brumback
1962 Tradewind
WBBCI #1200 (my Dad's original number acquired in 1956)
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote