Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #1

Toronto , Ontario
Mazda B4000

I am looking for a 25' trailer either Safari or International. I am wondered if my Mazda B4000, 4x4 with manual shift is capable to tow it. Anybody has experience with Mazda B4000 or Ford Range? I have searched www.airstream.com but could not find any related article. Please help. Thanks in advance.
ronhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome Ron-

If you go to the Mazda website they state that the max. tow rating of the B4000 is 3100#. A Safari 25 or the International 25FB average 5210#. That pretty much puts the Mazda B4000 out of the running. In addition to tow weights, there are a lot of other things to consider when selecting a TV. There is some really great information under the towing treads of this forum.

Welcome to the group and keep us posted.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #3

Toronto , Ontario
I am interested in Airstream after viewing a video. It is about to compare between a 30' Airstream with another camp trailer for handling. They both towed by a Chrysler Interprid. Also in the RV show, they demostrate a Hemi Charger with a 34' Classic. Both vehicles have less towing capacity than my B4000. I am pretty confused now. Please help.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The place with the Intrepids is in Canada. One reason not to go this route is, at least in our state, the tow vehicle is required to be able to stop the entire rig without using trailer brakes. I cannot in my wildest dreams envision an Intrepid stopping a 34' Excella in anything shorter than a city block or more.
I towed an Argosy 20 (3500 pounds) with a Ford Ranger, 4.0 V6, and a 5 speed manual tranmsmission. It struggled mightily to keep up anything like a highway speed (53-55 mph was about it), and was not a fun experience.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Confussed

Ron-

I did not see the show you are refering to, but trust me, what they showed was not a good test in real life. I personaly can't imagine a Classic 34' being towed by a hemi charger. They must have been trying to make a point with smoke and morrors! the height of the car, weight of the car, suspension of the car etc. are NOT up to the challenge. Give the setup 10 miles in NE and it would be scrape! Ron, numbers don't lie.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 11-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #6

Toronto , Ontario
Thank's a lot. Since my Mazda is leased and will be expired soon. In the situation, I prefer looking for something bigger to buy the B4000 back.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Oh, yeah, that guy has been setting people up like this for years. His position on such matters is not "warmly embraced", (shall we say?) by most posters here.
I don't claim to support his ideas, either, but I think the basic idea is this: those cars are much more powerfull than they look. They're aerodynamic, and light, so they don't have to expend 3/4 of their power just to move themselves, so they have more available power for towing the load. They have long wheelbases. (for a car, anyway). They're rigged with Hensley arrow hitches, which eliminate sway, which overcomes the problem of the trailer being so much heavier than the tow vehicle. The trailer can stop itself with its own brakes.
(I will add, from my own experience driving heavy trucks, that nothing is going to stop a 10K lb towed load on its own in a "safe" distance...short of a Mack tractor. I've carried >10k lb payload in straight trucks, and the difference in braking empty vs. loaded is huge).

Seeing the Intrepid hauling the 34 footer around does look like a magic trick. But the Charger makes a whole lot more sense to me; its got a hugely powerful engine...the same they put in their trucks.

what I don't get: to what does one attach a receiver, on a unibody automobile? there ain't nuthin' under there but sheet metal. That, too, must be a lot stronger than it looks. I imagine hooking up, and stepping on the gas...the weight of the trailer would be pulling aft on those bolts, and it would just peel the underside of the car open like a can opener.

anyway, both of those vehicles probably have a lot more power than a B4000, "ratings" aside.

They have a lot less problem with this sort of thing "north of the border". for one thing, I bet that attitudes change drastically when gas is 4 or 5 bucks/gallon. But I suspect that many of our Canadian friends just quietly go on about their business, towing happily with "more economical" vehicles, and just don't bring it up much around here. Kinda like Arnold having Thanksgiving dinner with the Kennedys...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
PT Barnum said it best........

I agree...do yourself a favor and put that video straight out of your mind, as if it never existed. Following best practices would mean that a minimum of a *real* 1/2 ton pickup, with a good wheelbase. Of course, I'd opt for and did opt for a 3/4 ton which upgrades typically the hubs, the trans and engine.

I barely know our 25' is back there.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There are tons of post on this forum about under sized tow vehicles and questions about new or potential owner's existing tow vehicles being adequate to tow an Airstream and they all end up the same. You need enough tow vehicle to properly handle an Airstream or you won't be happy until you get one that is. Just because some one video tapes a smallish vehicle towing a large trailer doesn't mean it is a good thing...for the vehicle, trailer, or, more importantly, the occupants of the tow vehicle in an emergency. Either wait until you turn your Mazda B4000 in to get a proper tow vehicle to get an Airstream or, on the few occassions you might go camping until then, rent one for the duration of the trip.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Anything can pull a trailer...sort of...
http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/sports/Trailer_Pull/
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Overlander63, I've looked for that video every time I see questions about too small of a tow vehicle! Now I have it bookmarked in my Favorites.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhon
I am interested in Airstream after viewing a video. It is about to compare between a 30' Airstream with another camp trailer for handling. They both towed by a Chrysler Interprid. Also in the RV show, they demostrate a Hemi Charger with a 34' Classic. Both vehicles have less towing capacity than my B4000. I am pretty confused now. Please help.
That display would have belonged to Can Am RV. If you are interested in a new Airstream, you need to contact Andy Thomson at Can Am, since that's the closest Airstream dealer anyway. You might want to visit. He will help you assess your B4000 (aka Ford Ranger). I expect he will give you much the same answer as you've already gotten here, albeit for slightly different reasons (high centre of gravity, general lack of stability, etc.) You can test drive a combination if you want. A 300C with a trailer (usually an Airstream) is generally parked out front. If a 34' is connected, it will have a Hensley Arrow hitch. However, I've seen a substantial Forest River Surveyor connected with a conventional hitch.

Hensleys are recommended for combinations that would be unstable without them. SUVs are more likely to receive this recommendation. I'd guess Hensleys are also an easy sell to someone buying a high-end new Airstream, because the extra cost becomes a minor issue.

If you decide that towing with a car is not for you, and you want to tow within manufacturer's recommendations, he will help you with that too. He knows trucks as well as cars (they sell plenty of fifth wheels too). From my experience with him, he's not going to debate your choice but work to ensure that it's going to be the best that it can be. He (or his brother) test drives every combination that leaves their yard. These runs include quick lane changes at 60 mph plus.

The video of the Renault R5 (LeCar) towing the caravan is always good for a chuckle. The main problems - a failing (overheating? blown head gasket?) engine combined with surge brakes on the trailer that were useless going backwards, plus a driver who obviously panicked. That car, even with a 1.4 litre engine, should have had enough torque in 1st gear to pull a 2500 to 3000 lb trailer up a 7 or 8% grade.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I suppose you can bolt on all kinds of hitches and equipment to tow with just about any absurd vehical you want ,granted that someone will help you to do it .The hensely hitch wasn't designed to make an unsafe TV safe or to cover
up a poorley matched TV and thats what is being done .The hitch is to provide good safe towing all around ,to make towing easier without the white knuckles .The Renault has no business towing anything .the smoking engine ,
lack of power by nature ,and the fact it can't stop the trailer from pulling it
down the hill and the fact that sombody will be killed is just stupid .There is more to towing a load and gear ratio isn't the whole thing .the engine needs
to make enough torque to provide the power thats needed .In addition to the fact that the whole drivetrain is not capable of the extreme load on it .The gears in the transmission and the cooling system and axles ,bearings are all
severly overloaded ,overheated and clearly are not designed for any kind
of loads such as this. The driver is not to blame except he was stupid to even try this and put others lives at risk ,yeah, he panicked alright as he was
on his way to the promised land.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
A comparable new Renault with a 1.2 litre engine (check out the UK website) has a tow rating (a legal limit in the EU) of 1200 kg (about 2,650 lbs). These tow ratings are typically based on startability on a 12% grade. You can imagine that an engine that size would only be good for 50 mph or so, but for some people in Europe, that's OK. I really don't know about highway stability, though.

That European caravan might look large, it was probably under 3,000 lbs.

The car in the video was a neglected, worn out piece of junk, perhaps with defective brakes. The engine quit, the driver couldn't re-start it, and in the process neglected to use the brakes (clutch, gas, brake . . . and only two feet). That appears to be the sequence of events that led to the accident. To compound the problem, the European surge brake system on the trailer would have been entirely useless going backward.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Trading Tahoe

Well then, it's settled! I can trade in my Tahoe for a Renault to tow our Safari 22' and save tons on fuel and insurance. Wish I knew that three Tahoes ago!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
A comparable new Renault with a 1.2 litre engine (check out the UK website) has a tow rating (a legal limit in the EU) of 1200 kg (about 2,650 lbs). These tow ratings are typically based on startability on a 12% grade. You can imagine that an engine that size would only be good for 50 mph or so, but for some people in Europe, that's OK. I really don't know about highway stability, though.

That European caravan might look large, it was probably under 3,000 lbs.

The car in the video was a neglected, worn out piece of junk, perhaps with defective brakes. The engine quit, the driver couldn't re-start it, and in the process neglected to use the brakes (clutch, gas, brake . . . and only two feet). That appears to be the sequence of events that led to the accident. To compound the problem, the European surge brake system on the trailer would have been entirely useless going backward.
But AlbertF, that still doesn't make it safe. European caravans are apples to 30' Airstream oranges.

A Hensley Arrow Hitch cost approximately $3,000 US and I bet the manufacturer has all kinds of disclaimers about not making unsafe towing situations safe. By the time you add in the cost of vehicle modifications to accomodate the hitch, you will have invested several thousands of dollars (including the Hensley). That is a fair amount of money that can be applied toward trade in for a 1/2 ton tow vehicle or nearly pay for a good used 1/2 ton Suburban or 5.4 litre Expedition. Perhaps even a 3/4 ton crew cab or 3/4 ton Suburban would come into that price range in a gasoline engine if you don't want to use it as a daily driver and keep a small vehicle like the B4000 for daily use. Then you would have the torque and tow power to feel comfortable most anywhere you tow.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
My comments have been taken out of context.

My point was not at all to suggest that the Renault R5 could tow an Airstream, but simply to to analyze why that accident occurred. Speed and stability problems did not cause that event. The car should have been able to tug that trailer up the hill if it had been running properly. My impression is that it was a neglected old beater. That model hasn't been built since sometime in the 1980s.

Yes, European caravans are indeed very different with respect to overall weight, balance, tongue weight, etc., and are generally limited to a 7 metre length - about 23'.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I completely yet respectfully disagree Albert ,I read the posts and I saw the
video a couple years ago .That car is a pile of junk ,but the caravan (trailer)
clearly was too large ,cannot say its not ,just look at it .Secondly if the Renault was easily pulled back down that hill and could not even hold the
trailer and itself at a stop ,well how the heck safe is that? To say the engine wasn,t maintained and that was the issue is incorrect .As a mechanic and
technition by trade for 30 years now ive seen alot of vehicals and the engine
has neither the power nor the ability to succssfully tow or pull that trailer.
Ived worked on many imports including a few Renaults ,also a couple Yugos
also ,toyotas and nissans ,hondas etc. No one in the states would even
consider towing any thing with any small ,unstable unsafe little car even
a ford pinto for any reason .Now ,are you trying to say that when the guy in
the Renault could not make it up the hill ,he had a breakdown and let go of the brake pedal and just allowed the whole thing to roll back down the hill?
come on now ,anyone can clearly see the reason for the crash .I think that
the laws then regarding these cars towing these trailers needs to be re written,because this is totally stupid ,unsafe and makes no sense .I for one
cannot view this video or other crazy tow situation like the intrepid business
and not think safety is the last concern thats being considered .I know the
drivetrain in the intrepid ,the bearings on the wheels and the small transmission / weak everything and unibody /non frame etc and so what
because someone is doing this we all should applaude it ? Im about safety
and careful driving and most of all being able to stop my rig in the event of
any kind of problem Ill encounter on the highway ,anything that compromises
anyones saftey as this Renault crash should be an eye opener as what not to
do .nothing in the video suggests otherwise ,shows stupidity at its finest hour
and NO regard for anyones saftey .thats it.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Now ,are you trying to say that when the guy in
the Renault could not make it up the hill ,he had a breakdown and let go of the brake pedal and just allowed the whole thing to roll back down the hill?
Scott
Scott,
I'm trying to understand what happened in that case. Could the car physically move the trailer? Yes. A simple examination of torque and likely gearing will show that. The available torque is nothing compared to a Duramax, but the combined weight was probably not more than 5,000 lbs.

Was the driver foolish? Careless? Ignorant of safety? Driving with inadequate brakes? Probably all of the above. Maybe he was thinking that he was only a couple of hundred kilograms over his car's weight rating but everything was going to be OK.

When I last watched the video, I had the sound on. After the car and trailer went out of sight up the hill, you could hear a starter churning away. A couple of seconds later, the trailer came down the hill, dragging the car with it. It's clear to me that the engine quit and the driver tried to re-start it. Manual transmission, three pedals, carbureted engine, only two feet. Something had to give. The driver made the wrong choice, but then again, maybe the car's brakes were bad.

What if the tow vehicle was 30 year old half ton pickup with 300,000 miles, a blown head gasket, in desperate need of a carburetor re-build, and bad brakes? The result could have been the same.

The point I am trying to make is that the accident was not simply the result of an undersized tow vehicle that wasn't big enough or powerful enough to move that huge trailer, that suddenly gave up and slid backwards down the hill. There's a bit more to it than that.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In all situations, common sense should prevail. If common sense is not available, natural selection will intervene.