Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

It seems to me Andy is taking quite a chance if he promises his customers that his modifications will protect them from failures related to exceeding the manufacturer's limits.

I assume his insurance underwriters back him up.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
It seems to me Andy is taking quite a chance if he promises his customers that his modifications will protect them from failures related to exceeding the manufacturer's limits.

I assume his insurance underwriters back him up.
More likely his lawyers have written him an iron clad waiver for his clients to sign... But then I have no way of knowing because I bought a TV overrated for my trailer.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You could probably tow a medium-sized AS with a 'full size" modern passenger automobile, minivan, SUV or other underrated tow vehicle so long as you took things easy and didn't run into marginal situations such as extreme heat, hill climbing and hill descents. So long as you can control those variables, you might be just fine. Just don't fool yourself into trying to pull your AS up or down the likes of Tioga Pass with a Chrysler 300!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Given their line of business, I do not expect CanAm to compare Ram 2500 with Chrysler 300 and come up with the conclusion that Ram 2500 is a better TV. I also do not expect them to conclude that sedans tow rating are lower than trucks due to their limited capability.
The business of CanAm is selling Airstream trailers and RVs. They don't sell cars or trucks. I assume that their customers arrive with various TVs of their preference and have CanAm configure them for towing. If a customer arrives with a Ram 2500, I can't imagine that CanAm turns them away, can you? So, isn't all this really a reflection of the customer's preferences for Jaguars and Chryslers and Siennas and Oddyseys over Ram 2500s?

I assume it's not hard to see why some people prefer to drive sedans over trucks. And if they can use it to tow also, it makes perfect sense. Now, since CanAm have been in business more than 30 years, if what they were doing wasn't working for customers, don't you imagine they'd change? Again, they want to sell trailers, not Chryslers. If their rigs were falling apart, customers would scream, and management would say, "No more sedans! Rams only!" or some such thing, right? But oddly, the opposite is happening. People love their Sienna, Oddysey, 300, Jaguar tow rigs, and tell other about them, and presumably they go to CanAm for their trailer.

Hard to see what the fuss is about.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Also, published tow ratings are not legal documents. Unless there is a law that states that one must not exceed the manufacturer's tow rating it is a recommendation, nothing else. My car's instructions tell me not to exceed 50mph when towing, advice I routinely ignore.

As it is close to impossible for manufacturers to create ratings that take all variables into account - a 7000lbs Airstream with a ProPride tows very differently from a 7000lbs cargo trailer on the ball - I can't foresee a future where this will happen.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's the same fuss as when someone decided the world was round, against the long-established understanding it was flat.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Just don't fool yourself into trying to pull your AS up or down the likes of Tioga Pass with a Chrysler 300!
Our local WBCCI unit has two members who tow with Grand Caravans. Both have taken their rig across the Rockies, with no problems.

They took it slow and easy, but according to conversations I had with them, they never felt nervous or out of control.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Also, published tow ratings are not legal documents. Unless there is a law that states that one must not exceed the manufacturer's tow rating it is a recommendation, nothing else. My car's instructions tell me not to exceed 50mph when towing, advice I routinely ignore.

As it is close to impossible for manufacturers to create ratings that take all variables into account - a 7000lbs Airstream with a ProPride tows very differently from a 7000lbs cargo trailer on the ball - I can't foresee a future where this will happen.
But I believe GCWR is for commercial vehicles. But I doubt many, if any, commercial businesses are towing with a car.....I wonder why not?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Interesting explanation. You realize that CanAm makes money by beefing up underrated tow vehicles.
The "beefing up" part of the business is tiny in comparison to their trailer sales. I was surprised how little they charge.

If you feel better towing with a truck, then CanAm will set it up as best they can.

If you ask them if there are any alternatives, they will offer their opinion.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
But I believe GCWR is for commercial vehicles. But I doubt many, if any, commercial businesses are towing with a car.....I wonder why not?????
As I said, a 7000lbs Airstream will tow very differently from a 7000lbs (or even 2000lbs) box cargo trailer. Apples and oranges.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Actually, most auto manufacturers already provide two ratings, one without WDH, and one with WDH. Ratings for when WDH is used is usually higher. So, they do consider the effect of WDH in their ratings.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
As I said, a 7000lbs Airstream will tow very differently from a 7000lbs (or even 2000lbs) box cargo trailer. Apples and oranges.
You missed my point, Andy, but I'll let it lay.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Here is a link to Alberta DMV's towing guidelines (Interestingly, the first link that showed up in my Google search was from Alberta, Canada):

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf

On page 7 you will see (among other things):

-You should not exceed manufacturer’s GVWR
-You should not exceed manufacturer’s GAWR
-Adding components such as air bags or overload springs does not allow these
rating to be increased or exceeded
-You should not exceed the GCWR. Check your owner’s manual for the GCWR
(towing capabilities). If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle, you
create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road. You may also
void warranties.

Clearly, manufacturer ratings are NOT just recommendations.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Very good, but will fall on deaf ears. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #35
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
that isn't a legal document, either; its a "guide". There are no specific laws or regulations cited, and nowhere in it does it say that you are breaking the law by not following these "guidelines".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Here is a link to Alberta DMV's towing guidelines (Interestingly, the first link that showed up in my Google search was from Alberta, Canada):

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf

On page 7 you will see (among other things):

-You should not exceed manufacturer’s GVWR
-You should not exceed manufacturer’s GAWR
-Adding components such as air bags or overload springs does not allow these
rating to be increased or exceeded
-You should not exceed the GCWR. Check your owner’s manual for the GCWR
(towing capabilities). If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle, you
create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road. You may also
void warranties.

Clearly, manufacturer ratings are NOT just recommendations.
A lot of "should not" in this one example from one Province in one foreign country to call this a clear point.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I believe that here in the US, anyone who has a problem while towing anything that exceeds the limits established by the manufacturer of any vehicle opens themselves to the dangers of a very litigious society.

Here is a link.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-y...ainst-the-law/

Remember too that if you are determined to be negligent your insurance may not have to pay for damages leaving you holding the bag....

I am not suggesting that your "under rated" or "expertly set up" vehicle is in fact better or worse at towing than mine but if something goes wrong......

It happens all the time...

Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A lot of "should not" in this one example from one Province in one foreign country to call this a clear point.
Interesting that you consider recommendations from one RV shop in one foreign country as relevant, yet the towing guidelines from one province in the same foreign country as irrelevant.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The manufacturer's published tow ratings have, more often than not, nothing to do with the GVWR or GAWR. The tow rating of a Honda Odyssey is 3500lbs. I can tow a trailer more than twice that weight without going over the GVWR or the GAWR.

The same cannot be said for many 1/2 ton trucks.

Two completely different numbers.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
The manufacturer's published tow ratings have, more often than not, nothing to do with the GVWR or GAWR. The tow rating of a Honda Odyssey is 3500lbs. I can tow a trailer more than twice that weight without going over the GVWR or the GAWR.

The same cannot be said for many 1/2 ton trucks.

Two completely different numbers.
You would definitely be exceeding the GCWVR. That's against the Law/"guidelines" in many states in Canada/US.