Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I am not 100% clear on this risk vs reward argument. Lets assume a Jetta can safely tow a 6000# trailer. What is the risk for VW that makes them rate Jetta at 1000#?
Marketing any vehicle as suitable to tow involves an element of risk, in that the manufacturer has no control over what the customers tows or how they hitch to the vehicle, and yet the manufacturer is always the first port of call when there are problems. If the vehicle in question is high margin and its volume sales will be greatly increased by marketing it to tow then the reward is worth the risk. Bumping up the rating on a sedan just isn't going to get volumes high enough to be worth the hassle.
__________________

__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Ya gotta know you're a risk taker - what else could one consider hurtling down a mountain pass at 60mph with 3 tons of aluminum and steel bearing down on you.
I don't think of it that way, maybe a risk manger is a better description.
__________________

__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
spenfolder's Avatar

 
2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 269
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
There's an interesting article in the current issue of AIRSTREAM LIFE by Andy Thompson that offers a new perspective on manufacturer's tow ratings. When you figure that a full size truck can mean as much as $10,000 per unit in profits to GM, Ford and RAM, why would you advertise that a sedan or mid-size SUV is perfectly capable of safely towing a 6000 pound TT? Interesting premise that I can certainly understand.
What I really want to know Denis4x4 is... did you know what you were doing when you started this thread? I think you did!



Stan
Salt Lake City
__________________
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Marketing any vehicle as suitable to tow involves an element of risk, in that the manufacturer has no control over what the customers tows or how they hitch to the vehicle, and yet the manufacturer is always the first port of call when there are problems. If the vehicle in question is high margin and its volume sales will be greatly increased by marketing it to tow then the reward is worth the risk. Bumping up the rating on a sedan just isn't going to get volumes high enough to be worth the hassle.
Interesting explanation. You realize that CanAm makes money by beefing up underrated tow vehicles. The articles in Airstream Life are meant to promote their business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this -- All businesses do that and at the end of the day its the customers who are the beneficiary. The point is not to treat the explanations as gospel. Given their line of business, I do not expect CanAm to compare Ram 2500 with Chrysler 300 and come up with the conclusion that Ram 2500 is a better TV. I also do not expect them to conclude that sedans tow rating are lower than trucks due to their limited capability.
__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
panheaddale's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Interesting explanation. You realize that CanAm makes money by beefing up underrated tow vehicles. The articles in Airstream Life are meant to promote their business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this -- All businesses do that and at the end of the day its the customers who are the beneficiary. The point is not to treat the explanations as gospel. Given their line of business, I do not expect CanAm to compare Ram 2500 with Chrysler 300 and come up with the conclusion that Ram 2500 is a better TV. I also do not expect them to conclude that sedans tow rating are lower than trucks due to their limited capability.
your comments fall on deaf ears because you are trying to argue with the canam groupies
__________________
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
You realize that CanAm makes money by beefing up underrated tow vehicles.
Yeah, I'm sure that's true. He's probably making "hundreds" of dollars doing it.
__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
Airstreamer67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 311
It seems to me Andy is taking quite a chance if he promises his customers that his modifications will protect them from failures related to exceeding the manufacturer's limits.

I assume his insurance underwriters back him up.
__________________
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
It seems to me Andy is taking quite a chance if he promises his customers that his modifications will protect them from failures related to exceeding the manufacturer's limits.

I assume his insurance underwriters back him up.
More likely his lawyers have written him an iron clad waiver for his clients to sign... But then I have no way of knowing because I bought a TV overrated for my trailer.
__________________
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,769
Images: 12
You could probably tow a medium-sized AS with a 'full size" modern passenger automobile, minivan, SUV or other underrated tow vehicle so long as you took things easy and didn't run into marginal situations such as extreme heat, hill climbing and hill descents. So long as you can control those variables, you might be just fine. Just don't fool yourself into trying to pull your AS up or down the likes of Tioga Pass with a Chrysler 300!
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
mstephens's Avatar
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Given their line of business, I do not expect CanAm to compare Ram 2500 with Chrysler 300 and come up with the conclusion that Ram 2500 is a better TV. I also do not expect them to conclude that sedans tow rating are lower than trucks due to their limited capability.
The business of CanAm is selling Airstream trailers and RVs. They don't sell cars or trucks. I assume that their customers arrive with various TVs of their preference and have CanAm configure them for towing. If a customer arrives with a Ram 2500, I can't imagine that CanAm turns them away, can you? So, isn't all this really a reflection of the customer's preferences for Jaguars and Chryslers and Siennas and Oddyseys over Ram 2500s?

I assume it's not hard to see why some people prefer to drive sedans over trucks. And if they can use it to tow also, it makes perfect sense. Now, since CanAm have been in business more than 30 years, if what they were doing wasn't working for customers, don't you imagine they'd change? Again, they want to sell trailers, not Chryslers. If their rigs were falling apart, customers would scream, and management would say, "No more sedans! Rams only!" or some such thing, right? But oddly, the opposite is happening. People love their Sienna, Oddysey, 300, Jaguar tow rigs, and tell other about them, and presumably they go to CanAm for their trailer.

Hard to see what the fuss is about.
__________________
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
andreasduess's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,496
Images: 5
Blog Entries: 1
Also, published tow ratings are not legal documents. Unless there is a law that states that one must not exceed the manufacturer's tow rating it is a recommendation, nothing else. My car's instructions tell me not to exceed 50mph when towing, advice I routinely ignore.

As it is close to impossible for manufacturers to create ratings that take all variables into account - a 7000lbs Airstream with a ProPride tows very differently from a 7000lbs cargo trailer on the ball - I can't foresee a future where this will happen.
__________________
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
It's the same fuss as when someone decided the world was round, against the long-established understanding it was flat.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
andreasduess's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,496
Images: 5
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Just don't fool yourself into trying to pull your AS up or down the likes of Tioga Pass with a Chrysler 300!
Our local WBCCI unit has two members who tow with Grand Caravans. Both have taken their rig across the Rockies, with no problems.

They took it slow and easy, but according to conversations I had with them, they never felt nervous or out of control.
__________________
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,410
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Also, published tow ratings are not legal documents. Unless there is a law that states that one must not exceed the manufacturer's tow rating it is a recommendation, nothing else. My car's instructions tell me not to exceed 50mph when towing, advice I routinely ignore.

As it is close to impossible for manufacturers to create ratings that take all variables into account - a 7000lbs Airstream with a ProPride tows very differently from a 7000lbs cargo trailer on the ball - I can't foresee a future where this will happen.
But I believe GCWR is for commercial vehicles. But I doubt many, if any, commercial businesses are towing with a car.....I wonder why not?????
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sequoia Tow Rating akjam Tow Vehicles 17 02-07-2012 12:15 AM
Tow for Hire Dreamnair Shipping & Export/Import 1 01-13-2012 09:45 PM
How much weight can I tow? skipperbrown Tow Vehicles 7 01-06-2012 05:23 PM
Tow Vehicle for 27' Overlander pyrenees Tow Vehicles 9 05-06-2011 09:18 PM
Who rents trucks to tow my 1962 Airstream Globetrotter? M Cordell Tow Vehicles 5 04-04-2011 11:36 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.