Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Can't be in a hurry

It depends on how patient you are. My last truck was a 2002 Ford F-250, long box, extended cab with the V-10. It pulled both my AS 25' and my current 30'. It did great and got over 10 mpg while towing. When I got my current truck, another F-250, 2016 Lariat V-8 last spring, they didn't give me sh** in trade. I will bet they sold that truck for around 10 grand. It was sold an hour after I left it. It was a great truck, garage-kept, with 106,000 miles on it and a new set of Michelins! I like my new truck, but wish it had the V-10. It would certainly pull your trailer and we had very few mechanical problems with it in the 14 years we owned it. If I hadn't had a 50th wedding anniversary to celebrate, we would still be using it and I would have lots of $$ in my pocket.

Decide what you want and keep looking. They are out there if you are lucky.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If I were looking in your price range for pulling such a large trailer I would concentrate on any brand older 3/4 ton pickup, SUV or van (suburban or excursion) with a large gas V-8 and the tow package axle gearing from that particular year. Older model half tons just were not what is available by todays standards.
Sorry I don't have particular models.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #23
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
2002 F250 extended cab V10 4X4 gasser. I think it can pull any Airstream, ours is a 1973 27', 6200 max weight. Been a great truck.

We paid exactly $10,000 about 3 1/2 years ago, which was right in the middle of the mythical "Blue Book" at the time. I suspect there are other trucks out there these days a few years newer for around the same money.

Shop around, you'll find a nice one.

Good luck,

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Clarksville , Tennessee
You have a diesel. It's optimal for what you want to do. If you buy a gas engine you will not have the displacement (power) for what you want to spend, an adequate replacement will be too expensive, BUT you can get a factory replacement engine (diesel) for your present TV it should be well within your price range and you have what you need. Small blocks gas V8s won't hack it. We have a 2006 Ford E350 van with a 6.0 diesel and it runs down the highway like there's nothing behind it. We tow a 30 classic wide body across Colorado get 16 MPG and never run out of power. The engine thumbs its nose at the Continental divide ... My recommendation: Stay diesel!
jackcheasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
2007 Dodge 2500 diesel. 32 ft Airstream.
They op said no diesels.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
All over the US and Canada with our AS, love our Ram with the Cummings,
No diesels.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #27
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Well now that I said no diesels I'm going to talk about my particular diesel and the problems that I'm facing and see what others have to say. We bought a 1998 12 valve Dodge pick up truck about three years ago and we still owe approximately $7400 on it. This pick up is a real cream-puff . When we bought it three years ago it had a little over 120,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on the truck looks and drives wonderfully.

And now you're asking yourself what is my problem? The problem is simply this without a exhaust brake system this truck is just too scary coming down off of these steep passes. I'm sure there are some of you out there that don't mind white knuckling the steering wheel from to time but unfortunately I'm not like you:-)
The price of a new PAC brake system is roughly 2500. Installed and when you add tranny temp gauge etc. to this it's seriously a lot of money for us to come up with..... I've been told my some very reputable sources that the Chrysler transmission is a serious weak link in this truck and if it fails could and would cost in the neighborhood of 5000. To fix.... thus the look at other vehicles that are a bit newer.... the good news is that we have a positive equity in the dodge and trading it in won't be a problem and we'll be able to shoot for something around 15000.
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #28
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
If your truck is in good shape, why not a new long-block from the factory?'

The engine is perfect..... it's an old automatic... and no exhaust brake for coming down hills.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
All over the US and Canada with our AS, love our Ram with the Cummings,

I'll bet you have a newer truck with mopar exhaust brake too?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #30
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
2007 Dodge 2500 diesel. 32 ft Airstream.

I wish that one was in my price range...
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #31
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHERRWE View Post
We live in NW Montana, so know about hills and passes. We use a 2015 Tundra, double cab, 5.7 liter engine to pull our 28' Flying Cloud. Very pleased with it. Hasn't met a hill it couldn't handle with ease. A pleasure to tow with.

Looking into the older tundras .... wonder how the transmission technology differed from the newer ones?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #32
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
2002 F250 extended cab V10 4X4 gasser. I think it can pull any Airstream, ours is a 1973 27', 6200 max weight. Been a great truck.

We paid exactly $10,000 about 3 1/2 years ago, which was right in the middle of the mythical "Blue Book" at the time. I suspect there are other trucks out there these days a few years newer for around the same money.

Shop around, you'll find a nice one.

Good luck,

Jim

Yup... knowledge is my best friend right now..
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #33
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcheasty View Post
You have a diesel. It's optimal for what you want to do. If you buy a gas engine you will not have the displacement (power) for what you want to spend, an adequate replacement will be too expensive, BUT you can get a factory replacement engine (diesel) for your present TV it should be well within your price range and you have what you need. Small blocks gas V8s won't hack it. We have a 2006 Ford E350 van with a 6.0 diesel and it runs down the highway like there's nothing behind it. We tow a 30 classic wide body across Colorado get 16 MPG and never run out of power. The engine thumbs its nose at the Continental divide ... My recommendation: Stay diesel!

I think the achilles' heel here is "budget" ...
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffndaile View Post
Well now that I said no diesels I'm going to talk about my particular diesel and the problems that I'm facing and see what others have to say. We bought a 1998 12 valve Dodge pick up truck about three years ago and we still owe approximately $7400 on it. This pick up is a real cream-puff . When we bought it three years ago it had a little over 120,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on the truck looks and drives wonderfully.

And now you're asking yourself what is my problem? The problem is simply this without a exhaust brake system this truck is just too scary coming down off of these steep passes. I'm sure there are some of you out there that don't mind white knuckling the steering wheel from to time but unfortunately I'm not like you:-)
The price of a new PAC brake system is roughly 2500. Installed and when you add tranny temp gauge etc. to this it's seriously a lot of money for us to come up with..... I've been told my some very reputable sources that the Chrysler transmission is a serious weak link in this truck and if it fails could and would cost in the neighborhood of 5000. To fix.... thus the look at other vehicles that are a bit newer.... the good news is that we have a positive equity in the dodge and trading it in won't be a problem and we'll be able to shoot for something around 15000.
Man those old Cummins 5.9's are the best ever produced...a little down on power but still work horses. I would keep that gem and drive it...only 148,000 miles is nothing to these engines.

Remember, if you buy some newer $10,000 gas truck it will have close to these miles too so who is to say you won't need a transmission in that one and who knows how it's been driven. You also going to get 10 miles to the gallon instead of 20.

The 5.9 Cummins were pre-emissions and not expensive to maintain like newer ones. I had one...wish I still did. My new 6.7 Cummins is nice and a power beast but there was just something about the 5.9's.

Not sure a gas engine is going to give you anymore down hill braking than your diesel now does. Just take it slow...never go faster down than you did up and you should not be getting white knuckles.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #35
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
MAKE , MODEL , YEAR (no diesels please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Man those old Cummins 5.9's are the best ever produced...a little down on power but still work horses. I would keep that gem and drive it...only 148,000 miles is nothing to these engines.

Remember, if you buy some newer $10,000 gas truck it will have close to these miles too so who is to say you won't need a transmission in that one and who knows how it's been driven.

The 5.9 Cummins were pre-emissions and not expensive to maintain like newer ones. I had one...wish I still did.

Not sure a gas engine is going to give you anymore down hill braking than your diesel now does. Just take it slow...never go faster down than you did up and you should not be getting white knuckles.

No compression braking on these guys.... the only braking you have is the brake pedal... love the truck, but need brakes..... and a tranny temp gauge and...... you are right though there are other ways to come down a steep hill and one of them is simply lighten the load. And if nothing else that's my strategy would be to remove everything from water storage and extra stuff that adds to the overall weight of the trailer.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #36
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
MAKE , MODEL , YEAR (no diesels please)

I had a 1986 Ford heavy half ton truck with a straight six in it and a four-speed transmission. I could drop that guy down a notch or two and take any grade coming down without a hitch the only problem was going up was A 15 mile an hour ordeal....... or a great time to view the scenery and have lunch depending on how you looked at it

And that was towing a 31 foot airstream sovereign loaded well beyond its capacity:-)
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If I were in your shoes I would definitely keep the truck you have if you like it. A 12 valve Dodge from that era will always be wanted by somebody.
Go for the exhaust brake. The transmission you have is the 47RE, the preferred transmission of guys who have pulling trucks. In stock form this transmission gave Chrysler a bad name. With the correct rebuild (if needed), can be really strong for a whole lot less money than your talking about.
I would change the transmission fluid/filters yearly, install the exhaust brake and drive on! Don't worry about the transmission until it is a problem.
Have you posed your question over on the Turbo Diesel Register? That forum would have a lot of information on this truck.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
2012 RAM 1500 5.7L 3.92 gears. We live in the Sierras and have pulled our 30' Classic all over the West. We were right at the GVWR at the CAT scales (fully loaded for an extended trip). PO had a 6.5kw Honda generator installed on an extended A-frame which adds about 400 lbs.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds like you have a great truck and you like it.

Sounds like you really would like the extra breaking power but budget and downhill comfort zone is a major factor.

If you still owe $7400 on a 19 yr old truck you bought 3 years ago maybe it's time to stay put for a few more years with what you have or do the brake upgrade.

Good research and planning.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
You may try calling your insurance Co. Find out where they auction the Hail Dented vehicles . Save lots if you dont mind the dents.
Luck
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote