Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, your truck has a tow rating that includes the tires it came with. LT tires will not increase your tow rating.
I understand. I'm not trying to increase my tow rating. I'm just looking for something that's more firm under load and more resistant to road debris when it's 110 and the road is 140.

Kind of like that thin spring mattress that came in the 25FB is rated for 6'2" 250, but the 12" memory foam is a lot more comfortable.

newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I'm always disappointed when I read a thread and it doesn't have an ending. So just to update, I bought the General Grabber HTS in a LT275/65R18. It's nearly identical in size to the P265/70R18 that came on the truck. It's a little wider so a little more meat on the ground. So far I've got about 30 miles of empty unloaded driving around town and they are very nice.

My concerns with any LT tire was that they would be flintstone tires, granite hard, but not so. I'm sure they are more firm, I can tell there is a lot less rolling resistance. I've crossed the rail-road tracks a few times, and some of the paved roads are pretty rough, but I don't sense they are hard or that I'm feeling more of the road up through the suspension. No tracking down the freeway grooves.

I also don't hear any road noise at all, and I did hear a little road noise with the Wranglers. The real test is Saturday for a 120 mile run to Pismo for an 8 night. I'll give a tow update after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General Grabber HTS.png
Views:	510
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	86712  

newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

Hi, we would really like to hear about a 1200 mile trip on your new tires, but we will settle for the 120 mile trip. What tire pressures are going to run in these new tires and are you going to run different pressures while towing versus not towing? Have a great time at Pismo, we stayed there three times last year. Nice place.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Itowed 5000 miles this summer --- NJ to Colorado/Wyoming and back -- with the exact same factory setup on my Titan. Tires inflated about 5 psi below max. Towed a 25' CCD International and never once had a problem or felt unsafe. I'll get LT's once these wear out. And at 24k on the truch they have loads of tread life remaining.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Michelin answered my Tire Problem

The Goodrich A/T Load Range C tires that come with the 2008 Toyota Tundra are a light weight tire to get you off of their parking lot. The tires never did fail on the paved highways, but they did wear quickly and became a liability on my frequent non-paved road trailer towing, all from rock punctures when the tires were 50% worn.

Costco now offers a Michelin LTX A/T2 LT275-65R-18, Load Range E with a maximum load rating of 3415 pounds. I travel with 43 psi cold of Costco Nitrogen in the tires. The tires ride firm, but that is why I drive a pickup truck and want tires that I can depend on getting me where I need, or want, to travel. Each tire cost $235.00, less coupon for $80.00 off of a set of four tires purchased. I know, not inexpensive, but neither are the less than expected performance Goodrich Load Range C original equipment so generously provided from the Toyota factory. Much like the generous Goodyear Marathons tires provided for the Airstream trailers from the factory. I bought a fifth matching aluminum wheel for the truck and mounted a Michelin on it as well. I may not get 50,000 towing miles on these tires, but if the tires remain trouble free, I plan to replace them with the same. The tread is aggressive for rain, mud and snow and are less noisy than the AT Goodrich treads. It has already snowed on the Front Range of Colorado, with plenty of snow in the mountains at tree line!

When I bring the truck into Toyota for oil and filter changes, they do not mess with the tire pressure when they see the green valve caps on each wheel.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote