Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
LOUD horns

I’m very judicial with my horn use… and at the same time drive very defensively...
That is, I use my horn very little
But when I use it, I want to be HEARD

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket horns… like the ‘bad boy’ horn.. they advertise 118db… (depending on distance from horn, I’m not sure that’s all that loud…)

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naperville , Illinois
Hi- for the last 30 years or so, I have dissconnected the horn that came with my vehicle and installed my "OOOGA" horn. It was the sound of the horns on old Model 'A's and Model 'T's from the 1930's. It's quite loud and really gets thier attention. Once the people figure out where the sound is coming from I usually get a gesture from them and they move. I don't remember where I got it, I think it was on some vehicle I bought. I beleive you can still buy them at some automotive stores. Try one, it's a lot of fun.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
For the longest time I have wanted to install a real truckers Air-Horn under the hood of out TV but alas, Sandi has given it the veto many, many times. These guys have all the part and kits you need to scare the c*** out of those annoying bad drivers: Truck Air Horns
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I know some people that are useing Train Horns with on board aircompressers automobile type the said they are not legal but can be bought aftermarket??

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Driving in Atlanta traffic every day there are times I'd like to have one of those truck air horns on my F-250 super duty, but I'm not sure that I want to spend $300-$400 for something that will, at the most, get me the finger or, at the least, be ignored by the idiot on their cell phone that swerves into my lane and cuts me off.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I've got an air horn on my tow vehicle (installed by the original owner). It's mounted on the roof right in front of the luggage rack. Sounds like a tug boat when engaged. You can definitely hear it.

Consider visiting a salvage yard for medium-duty vehicles (dump trucks and the like). You should be able to pick up an entire unit fairly cheap.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
caddy horn

My 94 deville has a great horn--I want to go to a junk yard and get another for the suburban!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
I know some people that are useing Train Horns with on board aircompressers automobile type the said they are not legal but can be bought aftermarket??
They can be had, you will need to visit some railroad enthusiast forums to find them. They are LOUD
Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chelsea , Michigan
I have a Leslie Supertyphon which was originally on a train. When I called the factory for parts they said "do you have a train or a ship?" It is just as loud as any train you ever heard and is factory certified audible to something like over a mile away. It is a great novelty but is not practical for automotive installation. We use it for all kinds of entertainment.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have put together several horn packages from the boneyard, all of which were excellent.

This time, though, I went to HELLA twin horns made in Germany for the autobahn. Nice, piercing tones (have to be at 132 mph!)

Got them at SUSQUEHANNA MOTORSPORTS online. See also the wiring diagram. I kept the originals, just tapped them for the signal to a single relay/fuse per that diagram. Be sure to coat the terminals with waterproof electrical grease.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin
I have a Leslie Supertyphon which was originally on a train. When I called the factory for parts they said "do you have a train or a ship?" It is just as loud as any train you ever heard and is factory certified audible to something like over a mile away. It is a great novelty but is not practical for automotive installation. We use it for all kinds of entertainment.

I hope if you do install it - it won't be wired into your vehicle security system.

We stayed at a campground last year with a car that kept going off when squirrels jumped on the roof. The folks with the offending car were tent camping and came back to their site at the end of the day to find their tent and all their gear neatly packed up and resting on the hood of the car.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin
ROTFLMAO

i can just picture blasting that thing off on some day-dreaming-accident-waiting-to-happen-driver...

i'm wondering if it's instant response....
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I have air horns on the International; mounted under the hood. I also have a "Town & Country" switch so I can revert to regular horns in the city. When I'm towing I like the blasters to extend my influence down range for unconcious drivers. It can be a life-saver.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I had a friend who came up with a locomotive whistle/horn. It was activated by a scuba tank with a regulator and valve. It was incredibly loud, just like a train come to think of it. He put it on the roof of the truck and covered it with nursery netting. Most of the folks that pulled in front of us from an onramp got out of the way pretty quickly... This outfit sells them.

HornBlasters Train Air Horns. The Loudest Train Horns Around! Best Air Horns You Can Buy!

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote