Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Train Horn

Probably a little more emphasis on defensive driving would be more helpful than an investment on a train horn installation.
Very seldom does a dedicated professional driver need to announce his presence with a loud horn. (although the temptation is there on many occasions.)
In most cases all the other motorists, and pedestrians, in the area have not seen what you have just witnessed, and only look at you as the idiot making the noise and assume that it is you that is in a rush to get somewhere.
Having said that - there is a time and place for everything!
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Cadillac Horn

I too have heard of the Caddy horn being a good one.

I don't want to scare the pants off anybody - just get the attention of someone about to pull in front of a mass of metal that could be hitting them....

So I was thinking of adding a caddy horn with the current electrical wires to ADD some volume and get attention when needed.

When in the boneyard, which models (or years) would be best to ask for

Suggestions please !!! TIA

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, have been researching air horns. Sometimes, the OEM horn is insufficient to get the attention of a driver who chooses to text and listen to his Ipod while operating a motor vehicle on the highway.

I want to take your multi-tasking on-board air compressor one step further. I want to run the horns, air up tires, and operate rear suspension air bags on my tow vehicle. Since these three functions would not be used simultaneously, I think that a compressor sufficient to handle the biggest job would also handle the other two.

Is anyone out there doing anything like this?

Thanx, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots of mh have what you describe. The setup works fine. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yes, I have on-board air supplied by a converted A/C compressor. I use an old aluminum medical oxygen tank (3000psi) for storage. I run the system at 145 psi and have an air chuck in the engine compartment for air hoses and air tools. It is really nice to be able to air down the tires for rough road and then re-pressure them for the highway. I bought two old truck air horns on eBay and operate them with a 12V solenoid valve.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've taken Cadillac horns off of various decade cars. The last was a 1980 Seville with [4] separate note horns buried in the tops of the fenders (accessible from under the hood). These were all the same size unlike the really cool 1960's models which featured a trumpet (also to be found on Buicks, etc, as an option).

Set it up with a relay-actuated harness off of the battery, looking for 13V+. Run the ground to the battery.

Install near a front opening as desired. Note location of original horns as a guide. GM horns tend to have a "sound-shaper" screw; sometimes individual horns lose their sweetness and are heard as either flat or sharp as they age, and as a result (for you) of their new acoustic chambering. Test each individually for voltage, for no loose vibrations (may need some work on mounts) and harmony with hood both open and closed (from a 25' distance in an open area).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I saw an old restored Mack truck in TN a couple of years ago in a truck stop, really sharp. Truck had a MASSIVE set of horns, turned out to be actual train horns. I asked the owner if he would toot em for us. After a moment of hesitation, he reached in the cab and by his seat was a hand operated valve, on what might have been 3/4" iron pipe looked like the old UP/DOWN valve you would see on an automotive lift in a gas station, one shot and it echoed off of the hills for what seemed like forever. MASSIVE.

Having a horn that gets attention when most everyone is on the phone, radio WAY UP etc, not a bad idea. I have a set of air horns (not installed yet) that run off of a mini compressor, I'll investigate some more along with some real back up lights, its all just 12V.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Train horns (Nathan Airchime and others) are illegal on private vehicles. Fun, yes. Responsible, no. Figure the total cost with installation at well above $1k for the real thing.

Now, that War of the Worlds sound:

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Check out the self-contailed air horns from Griot's Garage: Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789 . They have 3 to choose from starting at $39.95 to the new, 'truck sound' model at $69.95. They are rated at 139db at 4 feet and 116 db at 6 feet.

I have a set on my motorcycle, andlet me tell you, people REALLY get out of the way when I hit the horn button!

I have the Hella Horns advertised in Griot's and they work fantastic. I just added them to my existing horn system and it has the "double whammy".
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also have thought about AIR horns. I drove for 45 yrs over the road. I didnt use them that much but they were always there in case I needed them. Big trucks are required to have both air and electric horns. I think they would be extremely valuable in todays society. because of all the distracted drivers on CELL PHONES and TEXTING and not paying attention to the job at hand with is DRIVING. I dont use my horn sometimes to warn others who I am trying to pass and seem to want thier half out of my lane. I do however use my horn sparingly so as not to cause someone to go into ROAD RAGE.
I think I have a pair of Plastic Horns and a compressor in the barn that came off my fathers MH. Ill have to look in da barn when I get the airstream out.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
For those that don't want to fool around with compressors, "The Persuader" horns by Wolo are a great ones. We've got them, and, believe me, they get your attention!

Car Parts, Auto Parts, Truck Parts, Supplies and Accessories - Autobarn.com
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
The other day we were in the left lane and the two cars in front of us decided to turn left. THere was no turn lane so we and other traffic had to stop. All of a sudden this PU truck blew his horn as he passed the first car turning left. They must have installed a train horn under the hood. Made us jump out of our skins. If we were moving I would probably have driven off the road. I understand having a louder horn than what a lot of vehicles have but an extremely loud one like this one was is way more than necessary and will likely cause someone to have an accident.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote

« 2011 F250 Clearance/side LIGHT swap... | Top | Chrysler 300c AWD: What can I tow? »