Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
San Pedro , California
Looking for the best Tow Vehicle

We are looking for a 23' - 25' Airstream and wanting the best tow vehicle. Can you guys help?

I don't think we will be needing to do crazy off roading just some back country camping.

I will also use this as a daily driver.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone!! Looking forward to growing with you all...
Rob.Bracero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The standard solution is a 1/2 ton 4x4 with a tow package.

The standard upgrade to that is a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4.

The smart solution is your daily driver. That can be a lot of choices, but the easiest solution would possibly be a Jeep Grand Cherrokee, a Durango or a VW Atlas. The 4 door jeep Limited is an interesting alternative.

If the manufacturers were smart, something similar to the Chrysler 300 with 4 wheel drive and a hemi should be rated for towing the rig you want. But they don't, so you are stuck with their opinion of what you should have. See prior standards.

You are looking for a vehicle with the required tow, tongue weight and payload capacity. To get there, you need to establish what you want to load out with respect to gear and provisions. You also need to take a stab at what you want and need for an RV. Since 2ftitis is prevelent in the RV world, I suggest you look hard at three coaches. The 23CB, the 23FB and the 27FB. Sit in each for an hour. Imagine how you would cook, toilet, sleep, watch TV and store your gear in each. Later, you can expand the search.

When you get a feel for the RV you want, match your TV to the coach. Then sit back and think. You may have to adjust the package to fit the daily driver role. Think about how often you might have back up a 3/4 ton to make a u-turn and how well they fit in the grocery store parking spaces. Think about the impact of gear you might need to leave behind if you chose small. Are you a back packer or a full fledged glamp it till it shines outfit with mega grill, outside TV and motorcycles to climb those mountains.

Now if you already have a BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, VW Toureg, or many other daily driver vehicles, there are other options on how to proceed. It's all about you and your RV lifestyle.

Note blue box in upper right. Search on best model Airstream. Search on best Tow Vehicle. Search on what do I need for my new trailer. View the Long Long Honeymoon videos.

Good luck and learn how to hunt down those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have a big, honking pickup truck. Would rather not have but, since we work all Summer 2500 miles from home, we carry lots of stuff.

If I was weekending, I'd go with an SUV. Lower center of gravity, often independent front suspension, so generally safer, especially from rollover. Better daily driver, certainly.

The "Diesel Guys" will rave about their mileage but the fuel is 30% more expensive so that is a wash. Mine is a smaller diesel (5 liters). I like it fine but, if I had to do it over again, I would probably go back to gas -- simpler maintenance and cheap fuel available everywhere...

I won't get into brands -- everybody has their favorite and it's like comparing religions, no good will come of it.

A good start would be to go to the CanAm RV website and read all their towing articles.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
San Pedro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

The smart solution is your daily driver. That can be a lot of choices, but the easiest solution would possibly be a Jeep Grand Cherrokee, a Durango or a VW Atlas. The 4 door jeep Limited is an interesting alternative.

If the manufacturers were smart, something similar to the Chrysler 300 with 4 wheel drive and a hemi should be rated for towing the rig you want. But they don't, so you are stuck with their opinion of what you should have. See prior standards.

You are looking for a vehicle with the required tow, tongue weight and payload capacity. To get there, you need to establish what you want to load out with respect to gear and provisions. You also need to take a stab at what you want and need for an RV. Since 2ftitis is prevelent in the RV world, I suggest you look hard at three coaches. The 23CB, the 23FB and the 27FB. Sit in each for an hour. Imagine how you would cook, toilet, sleep, watch TV and store your gear in each. Later, you can expand the search.

When you get a feel for the RV you want, match your TV to the coach. Then sit back and think. You may have to adjust the package to fit the daily driver role. Think about how often you might have back up a 3/4 ton to make a u-turn and how well they fit in the grocery store parking spaces. Think about the impact of gear you might need to leave behind if you chose small. Are you a back packer or a full fledged glamp it till it shines outfit with mega grill, outside TV and motorcycles to climb those mountains.

Now if you already have a BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, VW Toureg, or many other daily driver vehicles, there are other options on how to proceed. It's all about you and your RV lifestyle.

Note blue box in upper right. Search on best model Airstream. Search on best Tow Vehicle. Search on what do I need for my new trailer. View the Long Long Honeymoon videos.

Thanks so much Pat!!!! I was going to get rid of my Audi Allroad and get a Cayenne as it is rated for towing 7k and I've seen guys out there towing a 23' with it. Then I'm told that many wouldn't dare take it onto dirt as it wouldn't last taking it to camp sites...
So that brings me to a pickup as I don't want to be limited if we want to go to back country campsites.
Wife has an XC90 and that can't tow much of anything. As long as the truck is a nice ride, I don't think I would mind it as a daily driver.

Of course I live in LA and sitting in traffic will suck. I do also like technology and luxury and that's what led me to Airstream.

I've heard so many good things about the Ford F150 Rousch or the 250 then also the Raptor. Many have said get a Ram as the interior is best with the large touch screen and the ride is better.

So yeah I'm torn and looking to you real life professionals on which direction to head.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Rob
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
San Pedro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I have a big, honking pickup truck. Would rather not have but, since we work all Summer 2500 miles from home, we carry lots of stuff.

If I was weekending, I'd go with an SUV. Lower center of gravity, often independent front suspension, so generally safer, especially from rollover. Better daily driver, certainly.

The "Diesel Guys" will rave about their mileage but the fuel is 30% more expensive so that is a wash. Mine is a smaller diesel (5 liters). I like it fine but, if I had to do it over again, I would probably go back to gas -- simpler maintenance and cheap fuel available everywhere...

I won't get into brands -- everybody has their favorite and it's like comparing religions, no good will come of it.

A good start would be to go to the CanAm RV website and read all their towing articles.
Thanks so much for this! Yeah I had people talking about diesel is the way to go and never look back.

Not sure there is such a thing of a luxury pickup. Guessing at that point a Range Rover might do the trick? But the low profile tires are risky I'm sure in the dirt.

I like the LR4s but those seem to have lots of bag issues.

I'm sure you guys will keep me on the right path

thanks for all the help!!!

Rob
Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
We've discussed lots and lots on "favorite brand," the common features are:
TOW Package (coolers, hitches, 7-pin trailer connector, upgraded rear suspension, and built-in trailer brake controller). If it's built-in, it will likely interface with the truck's computers for cruise control and skid control. Larger mirrors if you can, otherwise purchase "extensions." Payload, especially in terms of "hitch weight," is critical, yet difficult to for sales staff to confirm.
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
London , Ontario
HI Rob,

You have certainly chosen one of the bets forums to solicit information! My family and I have spent the last 4 months test driving about every brand of TV possible. Upgrading to a larger AS required a TV upgrade. Our evaluation scale was the money, size for family of 5, reliability, performance, warranty and a daily driver requirement.
To say the least this is always a stressful time especially when such a bit of money is going out.
Big diesels although built to tow was not an option for us since we would drive it in the city and many times daily. Although helpful you will get many opinions and ideas. For us we researched the stats a bunch, read many discussions from experienced people such as the ones on this forum, drove a lot of TVs and spoke many times with Andy at CanAm. And yes brands are very personal for sure and like religion can invoke interesting discussions. So in short we did select the expedition 2016 with the eco boost, very low kilometres and with the HD package. Being mindful of our payload and having CanAm complete the trailer/TV service we are looking forward to hitting the road. We do wish you the best while you research and identify what works best for you and your family! Happy Trails..
winnie1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I won't try to say what is "best", as others have noted it is what works for you. We tow our 25FC with Yukon Denali, not the XL, and we think it has been a great compromise between daily use and an effective TV. 6.2 liter gas engine, I get about 20-21 mpg on the freeway when not towing, 11-12 when towing in flat land. One thing I like is the short wheelbase, relative to a full sized pickup, which leads to greatly increased maneuverability whether towing or not.

Having said that, I think I would like to have the convenience of a pickup bed so that you can carry items like generators and gas cans that I'd rather not have inside the SUV with me, nor do I want to put them inside the Airstream. I have been "romancing" the new Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon pickup with the 2.8 liter diesel. Has the tow capacity, reasonable wheelbase if you get the short bed, and decent interior room if you get the crew cab.

My concern at the moment are the new IMO (International Maritime Organization) rules requiring ships to start using low sulfur diesel fuel (the same stuff required for highway use) instead of the cheap and dirty bunker fuel they use now. I expect diesel prices to go through the roof. Refiners are licking their chops! The Colorado/Canyon can be bought with a 3.6 liter gas engine, but tow rating and engine torque drop way off. I'm afraid I would be very disappointed with towing performance after the Yukon.
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Great post!
samiam8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
New tow vehicle

I have a 2018 25’ FB and I tow it with a 2016 F150 and have no issues at all. However, all truck are not created equally. You need to buy a truck with a total towing package and that has a 3.73 ratio rear end. You also need to get the towing mirrors included. Also keep in my mind that A TWO WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK WILL OUT TOW A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK. If you don’t believe that check the manufacture information. If you get the Ford it has the aluminum body that is 500 pounds lighter so that will add 500 more pounds of payload to you hauling capability. And finally get the 3.5 Ecoboot engine not the 2.7. You’ll be very happy. I’m not making this stuff up physics don’t lie people do.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
The best? Mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_125632_resized.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	332506  
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
The new Ford F150 V6 twin turbo has outrageous towing capability.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
TV Challenge

You opened up one of the most controversial topics on this forum! We have been towing our 26ft 1964, 6400 lb Overlander for about a year including a cross-country trip from Georgia to Seattle with a 2009 F150 with 4.6L engine, with no offload requirements. During this trip we asked many owners of various trailers about their TV's. All really loved their TV's = Rams, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Titans, and Tundras. Small percentage of folks were towing with SUV's. My recommendation is to take the advice you receive here and combine with YouTube channels advice, "Big Truck, Big RV" and "TFL" Both these channels provide hands on experience and advice on towing travel trailers. TFL takes trailers up I-70 from Dillon, CO to the Eisenhower tunnel and attempt to tow their various weighted trailers at the speed limit climbing and evaluate how many brake applications are needed to maintain speed limit. At some point in time, all of us get to pull our AS's up/down 6% or higher grades and it is nice to see how various TV's respond. Enjoy the hunt for your families best TV! You will need to prepare yourself for many of us who believe their engine of choice is best. Diesel vs Gas vs "boosted" six cylinders. Final bit of advice ignore any discussion of MPG while towing. We all get around 10 MPG depending on the weather and terrain and speed which we tow.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
The new Ford F150 V6 twin turbo has outrageous towing capability.
Yup it sure does and it gets terrible fuel mileage (7 to 9 mpg) pulling my 2017 30" FC. I get better fuel mileage pulling with my 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 liter. The Ford pulls it fine, it is the stopping that I'm not crazy about.

I met a old Airstreamer a couple of months ago at a truck stop in VA, I asked why he was pulling his 25' FC with a 3/4 ton truck and to quote him he said " I have always bought twice the truck I needed. If the rig weighed 7000 loaded I bought a truck that would pull 14,000. That way I always knew I had enough brakes." He was in his 90's and been RVing since he was 40 yrs old and had never had a issue using that formula.

Food for thought.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post

I met a old Airstreamer a couple of months ago at a truck stop in VA, I asked why he was pulling his 25' FC with a 3/4 ton truck and to quote him he said " I have always bought twice the truck I needed. If the rig weighed 7000 loaded I bought a truck that would pull 14,000. That way I always knew I had enough brakes." He was in his 90's and been RVing since he was 40 yrs old and had never had a issue using that formula.

Food for thought.
My take away from this anecdote is that when he started towing 50+ years ago his TV likely had drum brakes and his rationale might have been valid. Today, most TVs, including SUVs have great disc brakes all around, thus the old reasoning is no longer valid.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.Bracero View Post
We are looking for a 23' - 25' Airstream and wanting the best tow vehicle. Can you guys help?

I don't think we will be needing to do crazy off roading just some back country camping.

Disregard all the advice you'll get from those who think their TV is the best.

Don't even listen to me, but see what Consumer Reports ranks as the Best and Worst.
Worst:

Best:

Now that's based on reliability, and maybe that's not the most compelling reason you buy. Many here buy a new truck every year, so reliability might not be as important as comfort or fuel economy.

Also, being a daily driver, you might eliminate a 3/4 or 1 ton truck just because you need to get in and out, and park in a normal space.

I ended up with a certified used 2015 Tundra that had only 12K miles and looked perfect. Plus it already had all the accessories I'd want. Gas Mileage not the best, but I choose reliability over fuel economy. No regrets.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
A Chevy Tahoe or Suburban (or the GMC equivalent Yukon) seems to be what you are asking for. Built on a similar chasis to the Silverado 1500, same engine, transmission, tow package and about the same towing capacity. The Ford Expedition is similar in concept but is less similar to the pick-up than the Chevy.
hapsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
I bought a Cadillac Escalade when I ordered a 2019 Globetrotter 27 last summer.Then pulled it from Barrington IL to Palm springs CA in November. The power of the Escalade is excellent. I'm very satisfied with its performance.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
There is no one answer to this. Some folks are happy towing with smaller TV’s and claim it works. If you get a 1/2 ton truck or full size SUV, you will have no issues. As others have noted, check the tow capacity of the specific truck you are looking at. All are not created equally.
And you can always step up to a 3/4 tone diesel. Overkill? Maybe, but makes towing an Airstream effortless.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.Bracero View Post

Put your helmet on and tighten your seat belt.
This is like asking a bunch of guys about their favorite beer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote