Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

1984 34' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Looking for opinions on a truck (pull vehicle)

We own a 1984 International, and are now looking at what might pull it. We are partial to the Japanese manufacturers (Honda, Nissan and Toyota). We are partial to the Honda truck as it has 4 doors, all wheel drive, and is like a large station wagon. Our concern will something like this pull the 34' Airstream? The Toyota is more of a contractor's truck (3/4 ton truck)... nice, but you need a ladder to get inside. Any "opinions" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
Northway@mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The only two trucks made by those companies that I think could get the job done are the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra (07-08 with 5.7 motor). I am partial to the Tundra because I own one. Getting into the truck is simple if you add a step bar. My wife often comments about how much she loves getting into the truck since I installed the bars. They look good too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tundra.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	51389  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Northway---Welcome to the forums. It's a great place to ask ??.

Much has been posted already about what size vehicle for a given trailer. You are smart to look for an appropriate TV for you new trailer. Be sure to ascertain the GVW of your trailer and its tongue wt. Then, consider the GVW of the tow vehicle which needs to be greater than all the stuff you intend to carry plus the trailer tongue wt. Also, consider the combined vehicle wt rating for your TV. You may find that your preferred manufacturers do not sell trucks in the needed capacity in North America.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Northway Welcome
U will find varying opinions here. Just keep in mind the weight of that loaded tralier and what it takes to stop it without the help of its brakes,which I was force to do once. I hope never again. I have a F350 Crew/Deisel that weighs in at 7600 lbs and it had new brakes, I needed everybit of that weight,I dont believe that a Japanese made truck that could even come close.
Remember u can start a railcar rolling with a sewing machine motor but stopping it is a completely different matter. Let your gut be your guide
Good Luck and Remember always be Safe when towin' TAKE NO CHANCES.

Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Honda doesn't sell any trucks in the North America (mini van based ute-ute) and Toyota does not sell any 3/4 ton trucks in the North America.

Not sure what you are looking for, only US made trucks that are commonly available in North America could safely tow that 34'.

Volvo does sell some commercial chassis, also Mercedes, but these would not be widely available.
...maybe some of the European Guys can chime in.

Bill
Old 12-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
None of the Japanese manufacturers sell a 3/4 ton in North America. Pulling a 34 footer with anything less would not be within my comfort zone, but to each his own.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Isuzu makes some box trucks that would probably do it....

Better to get a Ford/GM/Mopar 3/4 or 1-ton with a diesel.

That or get a smaller trailer. You're wanting to pull a monster with a mouse. 34' is a BIG trailer. You need some chassis in addition to the muscle.

I pull a 34' Avion with a 4-door long bed Dodge diesel. It does very well.
I used to own a 1/2 ton Suburban...it was probably my favorite vehicle of all time...but I don't think it'd be adequate for the 34 footer. Maybe a 26' or so. My Avion weighs 6500lbs empty and 9600lbs gross. I'm not sure of the weight of an '84 Airstream 34 footer...but I bet it's pretty close to mine. A Tundra won't cut the mustard. Nor will a Titan. You need more chassis.

Sorry dude, but if you like Japanese, you're gonna have to look at the Isuzu. The other trucks are too small.

Take care, and I'll see ya on the road!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #8

1984 34' International
Ottawa , Ontario
TV.... opinions....

GREAT knowledge posted! WOW! Yes, I think something like a Ford F350 with a diesel engine would be great, with larger tires where applicable. Having lots of rubber on the road will help, and the pulling power of the diesel will be beneficial! Used to have a diesel Mercedes. Darn thing just would not start in our cold weather here... but new technology will have changed that! There again the car was 25 years old, and it was a dream on the highway, once you got it rolling!

Thank you for all the knowledge! Experience is everything!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
Northway@mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
34 is a lot of trailer. None of the half tons will pul it safely. With a trailer that big you need wheel base and power. I pull a 06 Classic 31 currently 8800 lbs loaded with a 06 F-250 Diesel long bed 4X4. It pulls and stops it well.
The Torque shift and TOW command brake controller are great features.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
probably get flamed for suggesting this but check out canamrv in London, Ontario. They have LOTS of experience towing 34's with Chrysler 300m's and the such. An option.

I live in London and have seen these setups. They work but I'm a truck guy and pullmy 27FBSE with a Duramax.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Brief and to the point..... IMHO

Do you want to worry about the TV over heating? Do you want to worry about how much weight you've put in the bed of the truck, wondering if your going to have too much weight and overheat the engine, and then notice that everyone else is passing you by because you've got the peddle to the metal and only going 20 kph/mph? AND, the truck is running HOT?!

Do you want to worry about how much "stuff" you have in the Int'l? Not wanting to fill the fresh water tank because it'll be too heavy? Oh, and let's not forget having to stop, real fast, with all that weight behind you? And the wear and tear of the Tranny and truck overall?

I had a new truck that I was towing with (4.7L) V8 and, I only have a 25ft AS. Worrying about what time to leave (traffic - stop/go) for fear of over heating the TV.

Oh, and if you've not read the papers, Toyota is having a weee bit of a problem with trannys/throwout bearing and kinda overstating their towing capabilities.

As everyone else is telling you.... That's a lotta trailer you'll be towing. Many of us are not made of $$ but, better to get what you need now then suffer the "Woulda, shoulda, coulda" syndrom.

Sorry for being long winded.

Rick

Name:   Ram%2520Diesel.gif
Views: 461
Size:  35.1 KB

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northway@mag
We own a 1984 International, and are now looking at what might pull it. We are partial to the Japanese manufacturers (Honda, Nissan and Toyota). We are partial to the Honda truck as it has 4 doors, all wheel drive, and is like a large station wagon. Our concern will something like this pull the 34' Airstream? The Toyota is more of a contractor's truck (3/4 ton truck)... nice, but you need a ladder to get inside. Any "opinions" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
I tow an '86 Sovereign 25' with an '01 Chevy 2500hd, 8.1 and 5 speed Allison transmission. I love the truck but if anything ever happens to it, I'm buying a Chevy Duramax diesel if that tells you anything.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I tow an '86 Sovereign 25' with an '01 Chevy 2500hd, 8.1 and 5 speed Allison transmission. I love the truck but if anything ever happens to it, I'm buying a Chevy Duramax diesel if that tells you anything.
I think it is hard to justify the cost of a new TV when there are great trucks like this available used. While it may be a search to find what you want, they're out there. My 02 Burb is in great shape, it has everything I wnated minus the Allison. Now if Chevy would come out with a crate engine diesel I'd never change out my 02 2500HD.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
Be sure to ascertain the GVW of your trailer and its tongue wt. Then, consider the GVW of the tow vehicle which needs to be greater than all the stuff you intend to carry plus the trailer tongue wt. Also, consider the combined vehicle wt rating for your TV. You may find that your preferred manufacturers do not sell trucks in the needed capacity in North America.
Take this to the bank! GVWR minus curb weight = payload capacity. Within that payload limit you must accommodate all TV cargo - humans, fuel, ready-to-camp hitch weight, iPods - everything! I know of no way to feel good about overburdening a tow vehicle in the long run. Tow capacity is a phantom of the marketing department. The engineers design to the GVWR and if you follow this limit you'll find the tow capacity is never approached.

I owned and sold the first Titan among AIR Forums members -- principally because of a very low payload of around 1400#. It could pull my 6000# Safari just fine thank you, but I maxxed out capacity with two people and 100# of dogs -- no truck cap, no bikes, no canoe, no genset, no toolbox, no joy. I loved that truck but had to become a happy Duramax owner now (Cummins or Ford hard to beat either).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Northway
I just wanted to add one thing to what U said about not starting in the winter. Dodge /Ford/ Chev/ desiels either come equiped with or U can buy the opion of a Block heater which keeps the water warm in Winter and have eleviated most starting problems in Winter. I have had -20 F here and never had a problem starting.
Good Luck To U
Roger
Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
Northway
I just wanted to add one thing to what U said about not starting in the winter. Dodge /Ford/ Chev/ desiels either come equiped with or U can buy the opion of a Block heater which keeps the water warm in Winter and have eleviated most starting problems in Winter. I have had -20 F here and never had a problem starting.
Good Luck To U
Roger
In my F-250 Diesel the heater comes installed period. You have to buy the 110V cable to activate the option.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you buy a new Chevy 3500 Diesel

Or any other Chevy, get it with everything (especially the oversized power mirrors!) on it from the factory. The only thing you should have to add is a running board. It's pure hell to try to get any add ons at the dealer.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of these big trucks sitting on used car lots! Seems like quite a few people who bought big trucks for "show" now want economy cars for "go"..... so it's the happy hunting ground for people needing tow vehicles.

With a 34' I'd be looking at a 1 ton, period.

Paula Ford
Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Northway
I echo Paula's comment. If u havent purchased yet,dont jump on the first thing U see. They are setting everywhere on used car lots. We found our 2001 F350 Used in '02 with 5,500 miles. It sold for about 40k we got it for 28k out the door. It was a FordMotorBuyBack (lemon) Its problem was OPERATOR ERROR. Not even the dealer could find the problem. I fixed it for about a $100 bucks.
HAPPY HUNTING
Roger
Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We've owned and towed two 34's - towed with a diesell Excursion. Can't imagine towing a 34' with anything less. It's not just power - it's brakes, transmission...
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote