Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looking for help and suggestions for Exhaust Brakes and Diesel Performance Tuners

I'm currently towing a 29' 1992 Excella Classic Airstream with 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab, 5.9 Cummins diesel.

I love my truck and I'm hoping I can find some helpful suggestions on what others have been happy with when it comes to add on Exhaust Brakes and add-on performance Tuners for cummins diesel pickups. What brands you have liked and if you were able to do the installs yourself.

I've done some research on Banks, and BD.

Banks seems pricier, it also has viewable installation manuals that are very detailed and show how to do the installs. I did not find the same to be true for BD.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I would avoid the Banks tuner.I have had to remove way too many that had failed and caused check engine lights-Mainly ckp codes due to the way they are wired in.The most versatile is the the Smarty,very easy to install.It takes about 5 minutes to load it or put it back to stock,no hardware to add or remove.Mads Electronics - Smarty - Catcher - Products
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I agree with Bob on the Smarty. Probably one of the most useful tuning/scanning pieces of equipment out there. I have used Marco's stuff since way back when the CaTcher ECM's were just starting and have been impressed ever since.

As far as exhaust brakes are concerned, I would take a look at the Pacbrake PRXB for your truck.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
PACBRAKE, most often recommended. Same for SMARTY, but tuners also tend to mess with factory programming such that removing it in the future is not quite a clean break.

No A/S is heavy enough to need either, but the brake sure makes life easier.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
PACBRAKE, most often recommended. Same for SMARTY, but tuners also tend to mess with factory programming such that removing it in the future is not quite a clean break.

The Smarty leaves the factory tune in-tact with-out a trace of corruption.I have even used it when the oem flash did not want to go through for the required smog update to show monitors on an 05 (that had always been bone stock)
The Smarty will however have the latest version of the oem software at the time the smarty was bought or up-dated on line
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
I would avoid the Banks tuner.I have had to remove way too many that had failed and caused check engine lights-Mainly ckp codes due to the way they are wired in.The most versatile is the the Smarty,very easy to install.It takes about 5 minutes to load it or put it back to stock,no hardware to add or remove.Mads Electronics - Smarty - Catcher - Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
As far as exhaust brakes are concerned, I would take a look at the Pacbrake PRXB for your truck.
Quote:

First of all let me thank one and all for coming to my aid. I know next to nothing about tuners, or exhaust brakes and no actual experience with them. So, I've been combing the internet for information. Sometimes that works well, but sometimes not.

All I'd really come up with was Banks, Edge and BD Diesel. Smarty and Pacebrake were more or less unknown to me.

I did not reply right away to your posts because I wanted to check them out first.

I was not aware of the problems you mentioned with performance tuners, but it makes sense. I'm way past warranty concerns I believe. I bought my truck used and I"m pretty close to 100K on the Odometer. All that said, I see that the Smarty seems much simpler to install less intrusive and per the maker leaves your setting at stock if you choose to remove it.

As far as the PaceBrake I guess it appears similar to the BD in that is uses and electronic compressor, testimonials at the Pacbrake website prove they have happy customers, but I'm sure all of the makers have those. In this case though I get the impression that a couple or all of you have some first hand experience.

Is the pacbrake something that a guy with reasonable mechanical ability can install? Are the directions pretty clear and easy to follow?

The exhaust brake to me is a no brainer since I've done some extensive mountain driving, down shifting a diesel automatic does not really seem to provide all that much drag on steep declines. I can tell you that not long after I bought my AS I took it through West Virginia on two lane mountain roads and I had to rely way to much on my mechanical brakes. I won't even go into how dumb an idea that was. Hahaha, Oh well, live and learn. I would feel much better tough, if I did not have to rely on my wheel brakes so heavily in that kind of situation.

As for the performance tuner. I might not need that as much as I thought I did. See I just found out yesterday that my 2006 Dodge came with a Tow/Haul and an OD Off button on my gear shift. Thank god for the internet in this case. I was researching the Banks Tuner and mentioned in it's installation material is turning on and off the factory Tow/Haul and or Overdrive. It took me another half an hour to find out that the button was located in the end of my gear shift. Been there the entire time and I never knew about it. I guess the decal had worn off.

I'm thinking this will solve the shifting in and out of OD when I'm on a steep hill trying to maintain my speed (depending on Highway or Interstate 45 to 55). Any feed back on this? I'm looking for encouragement here.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Is the pacbrake something that a guy with reasonable mechanical ability can install? Are the directions pretty clear and easy to follow?
I'm going to give you a non-answer if that is OK with you. I've installed quite a few Pacbrake and Jacobs brand exhaust brakes over the years. The install is not extremely difficult in any of the steps. Probably the worst for you, with a truck around 100K miles, will be getting the exhaust downpipe off the back of the turbo, replacing the elbow with the brake, and getting everything lined back up again. You will definately need a second set of hands for that segment of the install. Everything else will be rather strait forward.

When I do one, I usually plan on a full Saturday to do everything from start to finish. Give yourself at least double that if you are going to do one for the first time. A diesel shop will probably charge you $400-$500 to do the install. It really is going to depend on how much time you are comfortable for the job.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
I'm going to give you a non-answer if that is OK with you. ...

When I do one, I usually plan on a full Saturday to do everything from start to finish. Give yourself at least double that if you are going to do one for the first time. A diesel shop will probably charge you $400-$500 to do the install. It really is going to depend on how much time you are comfortable for the job.

That was actually a very good answer. I'm very comfortable with taking my time and I can get a friend. for the hard part.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I tow a 30'er AS with a truck much like yours. Mine is a 3500 automatic. I find it comfortable to keep my transmission in OD and occasionally float between OD and tow/haul and don't notice much difference. I rarely find a need to take it out of OD even in the Rockies last summer. I would appreciate an exhaust brake but after talking with a friend of a friend in Florida, eh maybe not. He has a diesel shop and I was thinking of having one installed next month while we're down there. He advised against it on the automatics. Says he's found them troublesome and therefore advised against it. He was more optimistic about installing a mild tuner but still said the fuel economy savings wouldn't show much improvement. For other reasons OK but not mainly for mileage. I've gotten 13.5 -14.5 mpg while towing and my truck is bone stock. I'm planning on some exhaust upgrades but probably not until I'm in need of some exhaust work.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
The Smarty leaves the factory tune in-tact with-out a trace of corruption.I have even used it when the oem flash did not want to go through for the required smog update to show monitors on an 05 (that had always been bone stock)
The Smarty will however have the latest version of the oem software at the time the smarty was bought or up-dated on line
No, the factory programming is never the same again. There is no free lunch when it comes to any brand of "tuner". Folks find what they think are acceptable trade-offs to bowdlerize.

There is discussion of this on Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum . . it ain't no secret.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
No, the factory programming is never the same again. There is no free lunch when it comes to any brand of "tuner". Folks find what they think are acceptable trade-offs to bowdlerize.

There is discussion of this on Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum . . it ain't no secret.

I am a dealer tech,Like I said the smarty will not leave a trace and will reinstall the latest version of the factory software that the smarty was loaded with.The Bulley dog tuner used some off shore version and created issues.The Cummins Forrum is full of kokers who will perpetuate rumours that they have read and have no personnal knowledge of
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Update

So here's and update.

Midnightmoon, having done the reseach since your suggestion I have decided to get the Pacbrake PRXB exhaust brake for the 2006-2007 Dodge Ram Automatic, Direct Mount with air tank (C44045). Ease of installation and because of the side benefits that it includes. As mentioned the kit that comes with it includes a half gallon air tank (for the compressor which also comes with it) and a 25' curly air hose and air chuck that can be used to top off tires, etc.

I located a place in Charlottesville, VA, Truck Parts East, (I live in Virginia) that has the best price I've found and offers free UPS ground. Of course there's a hitch, they have not answered their phone during their posted hours either yesterday or today so far at least. I get a bit cautious buying stuff online when it's a smaller business and one I'm not familiar with. It's probably fine, but I cannot even find a decent review on them so I'm playing it careful. I've sent them an email and a message from the website so hopefully they'll get back to me soon and I can get this done and for a good price.

If you've got any other suggestions I'm all ears.

BOB4X4, I'm sure you know your tuners and having done my homework since you made me aware of the Smarty, what I've read makes me agree with everything you've said. Should I add a tuner I feel that the Smarty would be the right way to go; however, now that I'm aware of the Tow/Haul feature on my Dodge I'm wondering if I should give that a serious try, before adding a Smarty. Also, since I'm not 16 and looking to boost my power to the point I'm trailing billowing black clouds of unburned diesel exhaust when I pull away from a stop
I'm thinking maybe the Smarty Junior would be the right way to go, if I do decide to add a tuner.

Another guy who loves his Smarty told me that I should also consider adding some good gauges to monitor EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Boost.

I'd like to get your learned thoughts on all of the above. Wait, don't wait, gauges or no?

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
So here's and update.

Midnightmoon, having done the reseach since your suggestion I have decided to get the Pacbrake PRXB exhaust brake for the 2006-2007 Dodge Ram Automatic, Direct Mount with air tank (C44045). Ease of installation and because of the side benefits that it includes. As mentioned the kit that comes with it includes a half gallon air tank (for the compressor which also comes with it) and a 25' curly air hose and air chuck that can be used to top off tires, etc.

I located a place in Charlottesville, VA, Truck Parts East, (I live in Virginia) that has the best price I've found and offers free UPS ground. Of course there's a hitch, they have not answered their phone during their posted hours either yesterday or today so far at least. I get a bit cautious buying stuff online when it's a smaller business and one I'm not familiar with. It's probably fine, but I cannot even find a decent review on them so I'm playing it careful. I've sent them an email and a message from the website so hopefully they'll get back to me soon and I can get this done and for a good price.

If you've got any other suggestions I'm all ears.

BOB4X4, I'm sure you know your tuners and having done my homework since you made me aware of the Smarty, what I've read makes me agree with everything you've said. Should I add a tuner I feel that the Smarty would be the right way to go; however, now that I'm aware of the Tow/Haul feature on my Dodge I'm wondering if I should give that a serious try, before adding a Smarty. Also, since I'm not 16 and looking to boost my power to the point I'm trailing billowing black clouds of unburned diesel exhaust when I pull away from a stop I'm thinking maybe the Smarty Junior would be the right way to go, if I do decide to add a tuner.

Another guy who loves his Smarty told me that I should also consider adding some good gauges to monitor EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Boost.

I'd like to get your learned thoughts on all of the above. Wait, don't wait, gauges or no?

Pete

I will PM the contact info for a shop here in PA that can handle your needs if the one in your area doesn't come through. I have a long standing work/friendship with the owner. He can answer any questions on the brake, Smarty, or any other performance upgrade.

As far as gauges are concerned, it is my opinion that you should have them in place before any performance upgrades. You especially need to be concerned with Exhaust Gas Temp under heavy load/towing situations. Some of the Smarty programming is designed to be able to tow without gauges or worry about excessive EGT's, but I always suggest having them in place. For your automatic truck, I would do EGT', Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Trans temp. I also monitor rail pressure in both my automatic and manual Rams.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Once someone uses a tuner there is no going back. There is no free lunch as there is no perfect tuner software. And the proportion of those who use such generally see earlier transmission problems than those who do not. Expect a trans rebuild eariler, in other words.

The need for gauges undercuts the merit of using a tuner for towing. The stock configuration has no need, especially for lightweight/aero TT's such as found here. These trucks are overpowered straight from the factory.

Your characterization of those who post on CF is without merit; too broad a brush. As with any vehicle forum there is a mix. And more than one "tech" around.

The Smarty may be good (relative to others), but it is still unnecessary. And adds potential problems. The cost is higher than at first glance.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Re-pete,everybodys situation is different,If you do not need the extra power then there is little reason to spend the money.I have hundreds of happy Smarty customers.Some are able to use some additional power with-out any tramsmission up-grades and some can not.The funny thing is most people can't answer that till after they have it.Having the power to climb Sherwin grade in overdrive at any speed with my trailer to me is a luxury that I enjoy.Most people are ok with downshifting and enjoying the scenery.There is no doubt that not modifying the power on your truck will cost you less in the long run.
When it comes to gauges once again it has to do with your use and personality.Gauges are a great diagnostic tool.Tell me your readings over the phone and I can point you in the right direction on whats going on.The smarty on level 1 runs lower egt's than stock making gauges another expense.There is no great need for a fuel pressure grade on the common rail except for diag use because the common rails will run fine and safe between 0-20 psi.The rail pressure gauge is nice to have for diag purposses as well-That is the one gauge I have mounted on my a-pillar.We have 2 trans coolers on the ram they have plenty of cooling capacity for towing an airstream.The secret to staying cool on a long climb is to keep the torque convertor locked.With a bit of miles you will become familiar with this.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Once someone uses a tuner there is no going back. There is no free lunch as there is no perfect tuner software. And the proportion of those who use such generally see earlier transmission problems than those who do not. Expect a trans rebuild eariler, in other words.

The need for gauges undercuts the merit of using a tuner for towing. The stock configuration has no need, especially for lightweight/aero TT's such as found here. These trucks are overpowered straight from the factory.

Your characterization of those who post on CF is without merit; too broad a brush. As with any vehicle forum there is a mix. And more than one "tech" around.

The Smarty may be good (relative to others), but it is still unnecessary. And adds potential problems. The cost is higher than at first glance.
Yes I paint with a broad stroke when it comes to CF
Anybody that says their truck is overpowered from the factory................
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
...As far as gauges are concerned, it is my opinion that you should have them in place before any performance upgrades. You especially need to be concerned with Exhaust Gas Temp under heavy load/towing situations. Some of the Smarty programming is designed to be able to tow without gauges or worry about excessive EGT's, but I always suggest having them in place. For your automatic truck, I would do EGT', Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Trans temp. I also monitor rail pressure in both my automatic and manual Rams.
Quote:
...There is no free lunch as there is no perfect tuner software. And the proportion of those who use such generally see earlier transmission problems than those who do not. Expect a trans rebuild eariler, in other words....
Quote:
Re-pete,everybodys situation is different,If you do not need the extra power then there is little reason to spend the money.I have hundreds of happy Smarty customers.Some are able to use some additional power with-out any tramsmission up-grades and some can not.The funny thing is most people can't answer that till after they have it.Having the power to climb Sherwin grade in overdrive at any speed with my trailer to me is a luxury that I enjoy.Most people are ok with downshifting and enjoying the scenery.There is no doubt that not modifying the power on your truck will cost you less in the long run.
When it comes to gauges once again it has to do with your use and personality.Gauges are a great diagnostic tool.Tell me your readings over the phone and I can point you in the right direction on whats going on.The smarty on level 1 runs lower egt's than stock making gauges another expense.There is no great need for a fuel pressure grade on the common rail except for diag use because the common rails will run fine and safe between 0-20 psi.The rail pressure gauge is nice to have for diag purposses as well-That is the one gauge I have mounted on my a-pillar.We have 2 trans coolers on the ram they have plenty of cooling capacity for towing an airstream.The secret to staying cool on a long climb is to keep the torque convertor locked.With a bit of miles you will become familiar with this.
This is some terrific information. I'm learning a lot. As I've said though, I wading in pretty deep on this stuff. Not part of my knowledge base. So, with that here's a few questions.

Gauges - Midnightmoon and or Bob4X4, I counted a recommendation for four. Where do you put them all? Also, where can I read up on all EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure, Rail Pressure and Boost? Any recommendations on brands? Do they all come lighted? Do you prefer analog or digital?

Transmission - Slowmover (nice job on that 83' Silver Streak, BTW) brought up a good point. I've heard that the stock Dodge automatic transmission from like 2002 through my 2006 are as they put it "like glass". I've had pretty good performance from mine, but because of the many negative things I've heard about the frailty of the Dodge auto trans. with the Cummins 5.9, I've tried to be gentle. So far, so good, but I'm a realist and I know that with the extra stress of towing the AS I'm probably in for problems sooner than later since it's now getting be 7 years old...

Finding it online, I bought my Dodge in Sept. 09 from a used car dealer about 3 hours from home. It had 46K on it and seemed to be in great shape. Thank goodness it was. The first thing I did was have it checked over when I got it home and got a clean bill of health. Then I changed all of the fluids and I replaced them with Amsoil. I did all but the transmission fluid myself. I had a transmission place do that because I wanted them to flush and check the transmission. I can't remember if they had to do anything like tighten bands, buy they gave it a clean bill of health. Sorry for all the detail I thought it might help.

So, my question is, based on Slowmover's point, would a Smarty put more wear and tear on the Trans.? Also should I be doing anything else preemptively regardless?

Bob4X4, were you saying that the Dodge comes with plenty of cooling or were you saying you added more?

I understand about the function of the Torque Converter and why it's good to have it locked, but how does one know it's locked?

I know this is a lot of questions and feel free to point me to articles rather than answering all of this stuff yourselves. Believe it or not it's starting to soak in.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
This is some terrific information. I'm learning a lot. As I've said though, I wading in pretty deep on this stuff. Not part of my knowledge base. So, with that here's a few questions.

Gauges - Midnightmoon and or Bob4X4, I counted a recommendation for four. Where do you put them all? Also, where can I read up on all EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure, Rail Pressure and Boost? Any recommendations on brands? Do they all come lighted? Do you prefer analog or digital?
Here is a picture out of my '07. It is a 6-speed manual, so this one only has 4 gauges. In the dash pod, from left to right, is Turbo Boost, Pyrometer (EGT), and Fuel Pressure (lift pump pressure monitored at the head of the CP3 (injection pump)). Below the 3 mechanical gauges is a Quadzilla digital rail pressure gauge.

In our '04.5, which is an automatic, I have the same set on the dash plus one gauge in an SRT-10 a-pillar mount. The 4th mechanical gauge monitors trans temp. Sorry, but I don't have a picture from that truck.

The standard gauges in the picture are made by Isspro. I've used exclusively for well over 10 years and have had great luck with them. There are other brands that have good reviews, but I don't have much personal experience with them. If you end up installing a fuel pressure gauge, make sure to use an isolator so that you are not moving raw fuel in to the cab.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
So, my question is, based on Slowmover's point, would a Smarty put more wear and tear on the Trans.? Also should I be doing anything else preemptively regardless?
Yes, a Smarty or any other programmer can/will reduce the life of an automatic trans or a clutch with a manual if you don't control the power/load correctly. You simply can't expect to load a high power level, hook to a heavy trailer, and run it like you normally would. The excess heat, torque load, etc. will take out parts very fast.

Now with that said, our 2004.5 has over 300K on the original 48re automatic with only routine fluid changes and band adjustments. And, we use it all winter as a plow truck. When towing, most often we run the truck stock or on level one. The Smarty seems to really firm up the shifts and keeps it from doing the in and out of OD shuffle under load. In my personal experience, the 48re has been an excellent trans. I have however, also had to haul trucks back to the shop that their owners have toasted the trans within a few miles of power modifications. You will need major trans upgrades if you want to run any programmer to it's fullest capability.

I tacked on a picture of our '04.5 just for kicks.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
It's in the Mail!

Quote:
Here is a picture out of my '07. It is a 6-speed manual, so this one only has 4 gauges. In the dash pod, from left to right, is Turbo Boost, Pyrometer (EGT), and Fuel Pressure (lift pump pressure monitored at the head of the CP3 (injection pump)). Below the 3 mechanical gauges is a Quadzilla digital rail pressure gauge.

In our '04.5, which is an automatic, I have the same set on the dash plus one gauge in an SRT-10 a-pillar mount. The 4th mechanical gauge monitors trans temp. Sorry, but I don't have a picture from that truck.

The standard gauges in the picture are made by Isspro. I've used exclusively for well over 10 years and have had great luck with them. There are other brands that have good reviews, but I don't have much personal experience with them. If you end up installing a fuel pressure gauge, make sure to use an isolator so that you are not moving raw fuel in to the cab.
My Pacbrake PRXB Exhaust Brake is in the mail. Ordered it this afternoon from a place in Colorado called Healdworks.com. A guy (Jim) at Pacbrake actually gave me Healdworks as a good place to start, but the price I found on the website was a bit more than I'd hoped for, so I continued to shop. Funny thing though, after I realized the place in Charlottesville wasn't going to come through, I did an EBay search and found it for a pretty good price and it turned out it was Healdworks. I called and spoke to the owner, Chuck, and after speaking with him I decided to pull the trigger. He's shipping it 3 day delivery and did not charge me extra for the shipping.

Now all I'll need is a day of decent weather after it gets here so I can put it on. Just had two in a row but storms and cold are moving back in tonight. It was in the 30s on Monday and it was 74 today. Crazy weather. I don't have an indoor place to work on it so I'll wait for another warm and not rainy, day. Fortunately I live in Virginia Beach, so those are fairly frequent here, even this time of year.

Midnightmoon, I've emailed Keystone-Diesel, but have not heard back from them yet, it's only been a day though. Turns out the other place I was looking at went out of business, but for some reason their website is still up and their store is still operational. Not good.

Thanks for the cool pics. Always good to see a Ram set up to do some real work. The pic of the gauges is much appreciated. You're the second person to recommend Isspro gauges. Do these prices look about right?

I read somewhere that there is a port on the PRXB Exhaust brake for the Pyrometer sensor probe. Did yours PRXB come that way? Otherwise I'm under the impression I'll need to drill and tap my exhaust manifold.
How difficult are the other gauges to set up? Is the isolator you speak of something extra I'll need to ask for with the Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge or is it included?

Pete
p.s. I'll get to your second message in a bit. Wife's calling.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4