Old 09-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Looking good, Barry.

I do have a question, though. Keeping in mind that physics isn't something I've gotten into a whole lot, I got to thinking about your airbag system which facilitates the self-leveling nature of the trailer. If the airbags are capable of lifting the tongue of the trailer while unloaded, would they not also be able to reduce your tongue weight to some degree, thus perhaps permitting you to secure the Porsche directly over the axles as desired? I know this wouldn't necessarily do much for the mass issue, but if it could help compensate for the increased tongue weight it might resolve that part of the overall equation.

Just ruminating at 7am on a Saturday morning, here...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #72
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
i have a new tow vehicle -- it's a little on the slow side but very original:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0475a.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	25969  

Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #73
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
it's actually a 1948 farmall A pulling my "new" 1978 sovereign........
Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #74
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie tuna
it's actually a 1948 farmall A pulling my "new" 1978 sovereign........
I like it! Is it diesel or gas? What is it's towing limit?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Looking good, Barry.

I do have a question, though. Keeping in mind that physics isn't something I've gotten into a whole lot, I got to thinking about your airbag system which facilitates the self-leveling nature of the trailer. If the airbags are capable of lifting the tongue of the trailer while unloaded, would they not also be able to reduce your tongue weight to some degree, thus perhaps permitting you to secure the Porsche directly over the axles as desired? I know this wouldn't necessarily do much for the mass issue, but if it could help compensate for the increased tongue weight it might resolve that part of the overall equation.

Just ruminating at 7am on a Saturday morning, here...
You're correct. I should have loaded the Porsche over the axles. That's where it ended up after the crash and it rode home just fine with no WD hitch. A valuable but painful lesson learned.

9-20-2006

Took the weekend off and drove the Mark II to the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles in Canton, Ohio.

Back to work for a couple of hours. I decided that I wasn't going to sacrifice another trailer to repair mine so I hammered out the damage to the factory-formed radiused edge piece. I think it will turn out just fine. I used an electrical knockout punch outer shell as a mandril to reform the metal. With a bit more hammering and a bunch of sanding and some finish polish I think it will look just fine.

Kind of looks like I'm disecting an elephant.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

9-21-2006 Finished product. Good enough for me.

New .032 2024-T3 Alclad siding shipped today from Kansas. Check out Airpartsinc.com. Lots of cool aviation supplies.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

9-22-2006

Straightened the ramps by bracing the top of the ramp to the wall with a 2 x 4. Drilled a hole and installed an eyelet through the outside wall. Hooked a come-along to the furthest point on the main ramps and pulled them slightly beyond straight. Set the spring tension and the ramp system worked perfectly.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

9-23-2006

I figured out some of the dynamics of the crash by taking the trailer apart, piece by piece.

I couldn't figure out how the ramps got so badly bent. If you look to the upper left ramp you'll see the pulley that the garage door springs attach to. There's a perfect imprint of that pully in the white panel next to it.

What I can discern is that the Porsche stayed put until I hit the concrete median. It slid sideways with that impact, but didn't hit the wall. When I hit the guard rail the impact was much greater and the restraints tore loose allowing the passenger side of the Porsche to impact the inside of the trailer wall. That impact pulled the trailer top over so far that the opposite wall pushed the ramps out of whack. It also left the rear opening 3/8" out of square.

I used the same method I used to straighten the ramps to straighten the body. I made a "hand" that would grasp the top of the trailer and pull it up straight. I fitted a piece of wood to a piece of Unistrut. The "hand" would distribute its pull over a 24" area but I didn't want to scuff or dent the polished metal so I covered it in polishing cloths.

I installed it in the appropriated location and drilled another hole in the side wall to set an anchor to attach the come-along.

I had to pull the body back 3" in order to restore the 3/8" gap. The structure is so strong I could hardly get it to budge. After several attempts it sprung back into the proper configuration. All that to move the trailer 3/8".

I removed the damaged lower trim piece from the drivers side and hammered it out smooth and sanded it out in preparation for polish.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I think the patient will live, Doctor. Nice work so far.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Thanks!

9-24-2006 Reassembly

After straightening out the wall bent outward by impacting the ramps, everything fell back into place. The door gaps are now correct and everything operates smoothly.

The side panel still has a couple of deep scratches but they are barely visable in the polished surface. The side marker light was pressed into the surface of the sheet metal. With the trim removed it was an easy matter to flatten the metal after removing its temper with localized heat. I've ordered a new light for each side.

Test fit the bumped and sanded lower trim piece and it fit perfectly. I'll polish it after it's been riveted. The rivet heads have a coating that needs to be polished off.

I should be able to start fitting sheet metal on the other side soon.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

9-25-2006

Went to visit the Porsche today. I'd say it's coming along nicely. The front suspension has been repaired and they are still searching for a new aluminum drum. I've decided to have the entire car stripped and repainted. I'm being told that the paints they are allowed to use today are incompatable with blending into a lacquered finish.

If the rest of the car is as rust free as this side it'll be worth it to have a flawless paint job.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Assuming the paint was original, how will a totally new, modern paint job affect its value as an antique automobile?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

There are very few antique automobiles that haven't been repainted so there is very little value to original paint jobs. The Concours venue that we show our cars in places more value on rarity and beauty than originality and condition.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
steel or aluminum?

What is the body made out of? I kind of like it (although not concours quality I'm sure ) in the raw like that!
Marc