Update 3-10-2007 More details.
The Porsche is almost finished. Can't wait to see it.
This is my emergency brake light system. The regular tail lights are powered off of the tow vehicle. This emergency system provides brake lights should the trailer be separated from the tow vehicle. The trailer is equipped with a breakaway switch that activates the trailer brakes, but, no brake lights.
This system takes a separate lead from the battery and passes the current through a Normally Open brake pressure switch. When the hydraulic actuator is activated, both in an an emegency and under normal use, the emergency brake lights are activated.
This is a series of automatic circuit breakers rated at 150A that feed the winch. The wire feeding it is fused at 175A.
The FRP belly pan is finally complete. 240 square feet of Fiberglass Reinforced Panels and 224 linear feet of extruded 1" x 2" aluminum angle and 200 stainless screws and washers.
I installed the system so that a single panel could be removed for service without taking the whole belly pan down.
I raised the suspension off of the ground so that I could measure for wheel skates. I ended up buying heavy duty skates capable of rolling 2,000 lbs each.
Note the nylon axle restraint. These keep the air bags from hyperextending and damaging the flexible stainless steel brake lines.
Business has been slow so I had my crew add an outlet every 10 feet and four new 400-watt metal halide high bay fixtures.
The damaged chair got put back together after polishing the frame.
Each axle has it own ride height valve. That's the black device with the linkage attached to it. That valve get's its instructions from the position of the suspension's swing arm.
This control rod had to pass through the new belly pan. Due to the 6" range of motion the coltrol rod needed to pass through an oblong hole. I had seen oblong grommets in a leather catalog and contacted the Stimson Company and left word with a customer service person. I only needed three of the two-piece grommets so she sent them out as free samples. Thank you Stimson!
Next to the ride height valve is the electric dump valve. Each axle has one. I can selectively dump air to aid the jacks in tilting the trailer for loading and unloading.
Next to the dump valve is a pressure sensor that gives me a readout of air pressure in the main tank and in each set of bags. It has a digital readout and an audible alert in case of pressure failure.
The drain valve for the concealed 5 gallon air tank ended up directly above the rear axle. The first nipple I used was too long and it broke off as soon as I lowered the trailer. That made quite a bit of noise as the tank still had 150 psi in it.
This is the digital readout for the airbags. Next to it is the hydraulic tongue weight scale.
I needed to install mud flaps. I didn't want the typical Yosemite Sam or reclining chrome nude and just plain black didn't do much for me.
I found some floor mats that I thought were perfect. Together they were too wide so I cut them in half and they worked perfectly.
I mocked up a set in pink.
And another set in blue.
I liked the pink much better.
I installed a concealed battery kill switch that cuts power to all the electrical at the rear of the trailer including the lighting, electric ramps, compressor, dump valves and screw jacks mounted at each corner of the trailer. It was that or lock the hatch door to the controls. I feared someone would destroy a lock to see what was inside so the door will be left unlocked but allthe controls inside will be defeated.
The handle of the switch pops out whe power is deactivated.
Side view of the installation
The new lights for the garage are fluorescent and operate on 12 volts. Fluorescent lights only work off of AC current so each fixture has a miniature rectifier to convert 12-volts DC to 12-volts AC.
The lights are semi-recessed. They are about 1" deep above the ceiling and about 3/4" below. Each fixture has 3 15-watt lamps and each fixture has it's own switch to conserve battery power.
All of the electrical is stowed under the front floorboards. the process of charging the batteries and converting 12-volts DC to 120-volts AC generates a fair bit of heat. This is a thermostatically controlled muff fan installed to draw air fom the cool chambers of the trailer and exhausted out of the bottom.
Up until now there has been no fuse protection for the 12-volt wiring. As I hooked up the last fuse the trailer started shaking and the lights flickered madly. I heard the sound of arcing of electricity against metal and quickly ripped the battery cables free of the fuses.
I jumped out of the trailer after I hear the noise persist and saw that the lights in my shop were cycling on and off too. I heard a loud explosion and hit the button for the garage door and saw that the power lines adjacent to my shop had fallen on a neighbor's metal shed and were dancing wildly until another transformer down the line blew and shut everything off.
The front stone guard is almost complete. The rear panel is being made by my fabricator out of polished diamond plate. The emergency tail lights and back-up lights will be mounted in this panel.