Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Question Looking at new TVs, Input please

Ok everyone I know there is an epic battle between Ford and Chevy, but nothing is ever mentioned about Dodge.( I dont have a preference ) Are they that far out of the picture for a TV? Ive looked at them because they are more in price range of what Im willing to give for a tow rig. I'm in the market for a used low mileage Diesel TV and just want to know what people have to say. Not trying to start a diesel war just want peoples input that have been towing across the country. Thanks.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Mopar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Well in my ever humble opinion, it's MOPAR or NOCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the Cummins inline six is The Best diesel engine out there, as far as longevity goes. It is the only true medium duty diesel offered in a pickup truck. It is all iron. The GM is iron block with aluminum heads. I'm not sure on the Ford, but I believe it also has aluminum heads. Aluminum and iron expand at different rates and that causes trouble. If you read "Diesel Power" magazine, the ones that make the craziest horsepower that hold up are the Cummins engines.

Are the Dodge trucks as fancy as the Ford's? No.
In stock trim, is the Cummins as powerful as the new Duramax? No.

But, which one routinely goes to 500,000 miles before overhaul? It's not GM or Ford.

Go ahead and throw arrows as you please...but I see a LOT of Super Duties broken down along the highway with their hoods up....

Biggest problem with the Dodge's is that if you hump up the output of the engine (which it's very easy to make just ridiculous amounts of horsepower with....it is NOTHING to make 700hp and 1200 ft-lbs of torque with a Cummins) you will lunch the factory transmission. OK, so you send your busted tranny to ATS and give them $6K and they will send it back to you so that you will never break it again. But, the weak link in the Mopar drivetrain is the tranny. At least with the older ones. The new one is supposedly so similar to the Allison that Allison actually sued them (and lost) and the new tranny is supposed to be really stout. But, in modified form, the old one is run in many 10 second trucks.

Bottom line, they're all decent rigs. But, you won't have to apologize to anyone for running a Dodge Ram with a Cummins turbodiesel.

For what it's worth, I run a 2004 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins factory rated at 305hp and 555 ft-lbs of torque. I pull a 34' Avion triple axle that is actually 36' long and grosses right about 10,000 lbs. With my truck, I can light the tires up pulling away from a stoplight (with or without the trailer hitched up). I have not encountered a hill yet that I could not accelerate up while pulling this trailer, and that includes the Great Smokey Mountains down in TN.

I used to get 21mpg with this truck until they changed the diesel fuel formulation in 2007. Now I get about 19mpg empty, and around 12-14mpg towing. I've not run into a situation yet where I needed more power.

That being said, the new Duramax is 397hp and 765 ft-lbs from the factory. I could match that easily with a Banks system, that I may install since I just paid the truck off (six years financing....probably the last new new vehicle I ever buy). But, I am leery of blowing the transmission. I really don't need any more horsepower, but it'd be fun to be able to dust Camaro's stoplight to stoplight (that's what my '70 Charger with the built big block is for....).

Anyway, good luck in your search. From what I've seen, it's tough to find a reasonable mileage diesel on the used market. They're such nice trucks, folks tend not to sell them.

Ford IS making deals now on their new ones. And, that new F-450 is "almost" enough to make me leave Mopar. Almost ...

Get a Dodge and be happy!

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Just saw a new Dodge 3500 crew cab dually at RV show in St. Louis yesterday.

Beautiful.

Dodge has really upgraded their interior and is on par with the other 2. Plus the toolbox in the fender thing is a neat feature.

Don't know if they offer integrated brake controller like Ford and later GM.

Only thing that bothers me was the windshield pillars are so wide that they block the view - same complaint I had with my 2004 Durango. But that's a personal choice.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Service over Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Bottom line, they're all decent rigs. But, you won't have to apologize to anyone for running a Dodge Ram with a Cummins turbodiesel.

Cheers,
I believe if you are buying one every couple years it does not matter the brand.
BUT, if you plan on keeping it long term, you want somebody to stand behind that engine and have parts available. Cummins will still have the parts 20+years from now. Try that at the car dealers who only support their stuff up to about 7 years.
MHO only.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sold LOL

Wow JimGolden you sure your not a sales man for Dodge... you almost made me click the "buy it now" button on ebay. Thanks for your input. I had a 1999 dodge cummins and I pulled a 35' fifth wheel with it and it had all the power in the world. But it was also tuned and had 4'' exhaust.
So thats another reason I was leaning twoards dodge. Im not going to say this will be the last vehicle I'll ever buy cause I got many years to go but it will be a very long term vehicle. So with that being said I dont have to be the biggest baddest beast on the road, but I dont mind paying the price for one that will last for 500,000 miles and still going strong like I've seen many dodges do. So as Masseyfarm said go with one that will stand behind there motor.
I will admit the Ford interior is very tempting and I did look at the F-450 but I just dont see that point as I dont need THAT much truck.
But as Cosmotini pointed out the newer style dodges have really stepped it up on the interior. I must admit they sure look nice. I havent sat in one yet but I've been researching for couple months now and will soon go and test drive one.
Im looking at the Laramie package 4x4 MEGA cab Dually...for my 29' Excella which should be more than enough power. But we also want comfort for us and our two dogs that will be riding iwth us. They need comfort too! Thanks for the quick input....more is always welcomed.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
One more thought.....Automatic or Standard???? What would you suggest? (Anybody)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I just did my research on trucks, and for me the F-350 6.7 Diesel 4x4 SB SW Crew Cab King Ranch kicked all the other trucks in the a$$ (yea, I had to list all that cr@p...)

Point Here

They are all capable trucks, we all have our features that are important to us, for me the Ford was the hands down winner well for others it's the new GMC/Chevy's and for others it's the Ram's with their Cummings....

The only thing that also comes to mind, it's a mighty fine time to be in the market for a new Super Duty/Heavy Duty truck....

Happy Truck Shopping Everyone!!!

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
BTW - Mine's gonna be the best....
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
JFScheck I hope your right, Im normaly a Ford man... I looked at the same truck you described ( I ran from the 62 K price tag) but after the disapointment with the 6.0 I am still alittle leary of Fords new 6.7 until they get some mileage on them to prove Ford is back to being as dependant as it was with its 7.3. I wish you luck and wish you many miles of maintenance free traveling, I will be observing to see how they hold up. Congrats on your new purchase
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I believe everyone knows where I stand.....LOL

BTW,...everyone screams 60,000 dollar truck...Who has ever paid sticker?

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #11

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL
I believe everyone knows where I stand.....LOL

Shanr
Shane only drives Chevys!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
l m f a o . . .

Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Shane only drives Chevys!
Your Jealousy is showing again,,,....

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL

Your Jealousy is showing again,,,....

SHane
Not jealous I only drive yugos! . They make a great tv. But seriously Ford should hire you.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
They make a great tv. But seriously Ford should hire you.

10,000 miles and Yes. I believe in my truck,,,...Well all of them.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Towing Guide now available from TL

Trailer Life just did a test on the 2011 Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesels. ALso the New Towing guide is here if you are considering gas engines or another brand if Vehicle.

http://www.trailerlife.com/Images/Di...wGuide2011.pdf
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Printing out all 45 pages now....
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The new Fords really do look like sharp vehicles! In fact, they have a picture of one in the new Trailer Life; two tone 4-door dually. It's beautiful.

And, a buddy of mine just traded in his 2003 Ram on a new 250. The Ford was $56K on the sticker, but by the time they worked all the discounts and stuff, they got it down to around $41K. And, they allowed him $15k for his Dodge (which he'd just turned over 100,000 miles on it).

Ford is making some pretty good deals right now.

JFS, sounds to me like you're getting a pretty nice rig!

I may get another one at some point, but I've only put 35,000 on my Dodge so far, own it free and clear, and I keep it in the garage when not on the road so it looks just like a new one. I think she'll last me a few more years

See you guys on the road!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
The Ford was $56K on the sticker, but by the time they worked all the discounts and stuff, they got it down to around $41K.
That sounds to good to be true....The Ford dealers around here sure dont come off the sticker like that. Sounds like a great deal if I could get a deal like that I'd buy a Ford.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For what it's worth, I run a 2004 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins factory rated at 305hp and 555 ft-lbs of torque. I pull a 34' Avion triple axle that is actually 36' long and grosses right about 10,000 lbs . . I have not encountered a hill yet that I could not accelerate up while pulling this trailer.

I used to get 21mpg with this truck until they changed the diesel fuel formulation in 2007. Now I get about 19mpg empty, and around 12-14mpg towing. I've not run into a situation yet where I needed more power.

I also have a 305/555 ISB (Cummins, Scheck ) with the man trans behind it in 2WD. Bought used at 120k/3-yrs. Mileage is simply outstanding, the single repair up to 170k/4,300-hrs has been u-joints (tires and brakes went past 120k). No rattles, squeaks or leaks.

Mpg pulling a 34' Silver Streak was 13 on the hilly backroads, and 15+ at 63 mph. Combination scaled at 15,000+. Solo I average 22.5 mpg for all miles the past 22,000; 19-20 city, 24-27 highway (I always drive for economy which is why I bought a Cummins-engined truck in this configuration.) My numbers solo and towing a similar trailer are not unique. (And had I slowed down to 58-mph, I'd have broken 16 towing).

The newer ones won't do as well on mileage, same as the other brands. On these, the "Third Generation" trucks with the best mpg are 2003-04, with a drop-off through the end of the 5.9 in early 2007. Mine is dead stock (except it now has two mufflers instead of one). There is not an Airstream built that needs more power for any situation. The extra power is superfluous . . so in the event you are considering a used truck these models are already dialed in for a fantastic blend of power and economy. Naysayers need remedial training in towing.

The straight 6 is a different experience than a V8. Doesn't rev as fast or as far (doesn't need to) so it takes a bit of attenuation of the right foot. No slipping the clutch, as with a V8 diesel under a heavy load (the reason Ford & GM no longer have them). Pulls harder on the hills, runs easier on the flats. DODGE has been installing the ISB for 22-years now. It's record is unmatched for economy of any sort, and power production for those so inclined. It's a medium duty engine in a light duty truck.

I'd drive them all. But don't be swayed by chrome dash switches. If you keep it a long time (past 5-years or 150k) then it's still the default choice for a truck that will be worked hard by commercial haulers. HP ratings and acceleration tests are fairly meaningless. It's how well it descends a grade, how well it brakes in any situation, and the general feeling of confidence inspired. Take your time.

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote