TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Dodge

Mrs. S and I purchased a 2011 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the 6.7 L Diesel. Its the perfect choice for us and our dogs. The Dodge Mega cab is the only truck that the rear seats lay flat that will enable us to lay a barrier on top and then our dogs to ride. And let me tell you that makes for loads of room. Another great feature is the rear electric back glass that we can open for Zeus to hang his head out.
Dodge also has an interior package that if anything happens to the interior of the vehicle for 7 years they will fix or replace at no cost to me. That covers stains, rips, tears, defects, accidents, so on and so on. Thought that was a great way for Dodge to prove they have really stepped it up on there interior. We also got a 5 year 100,000 mile BUMPER to BUMPER warranty. Yes thats correct bumper to bumper!
The hands free Uconnect feature is my favorite feature. It automatically connects to my Iphone and any out going or incoming calls come through the trucks stereo. It works flawlessly!
Some other features are sunroof (for Mrs. S), heated and cooled front and rear seats, Two Tv screens, rear wireless headphones, Sirus radio, SatelliteTV yes Satellite TV, and Traffic reports.
Im sure there are more features that I havent found yet, but thus far we are very pleased with our purchase after reviewing all brands and we think this is the perfect Tow Vessel to proudly tow or Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	130936  
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
That is a mighty fine rig. Congratulations!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong after 45 years of Fords!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Just saw a new Dodge 3500 crew cab dually at RV show in St. Louis yesterday.

Beautiful.

Only thing that bothers me was the windshield pillars are so wide that they block the view - same complaint I had with my 2004 Durango. But that's a personal choice.
Interesting, we don't find the windshield pillars in our 2500 Ram blocking as much view as did the handles / pillars on our o5 F15o. I have been a Ford driver since my 1965 Mustang, but this time we went the route of Mr & Mrs S with a 2012 Ram 2500 / 6.7 Turbo diesel. I won't go into the blown head on the Ford motor a few years back.

We like the interior appointments and package equipment better than the other brands ... BUT what really made the difference was when I looked under the Chevy 2500 and asked the salesman just what was the black tank for. He explained the DEF or Urea needed to be added to the tank at the recommended oil change interval of 3k miles! Ford was the same situation and, no manual transmissions apparently are available any more ??

Other Ram features that we really like: 100k mile warranty ... dual zone AC ... did you know that the seats heat and even cool now ...integrated trailer brake controller ...TPMS pressure read out on the electronic vehicle info display ... much easier lining up to the class IV hitch with the dash sized rear camera display - not the smaller in the mirror display we had before ... we wouldn't likely have bought the satellite radio, but the oldies channels are great plus travel link ... hands off cell phone with u-connect ... electric / sliding rear window ...trailer tow package ... diesel exhaust brake and tow / haul mode ... dual trans oil cooler ... adjustable pedal position for my height-disadvantaged wife ...and we can't decide whether we like the sunroof better or the flip up tow mirrors. So far, mileage unhooked is 17 mpg hwy and 10 around town; ouch. Now to get this hooked up and down the road!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2

Interesting, we don't find the windshield pillars in our 2500 Ram blocking as much view as did the handles / pillars on our o5 F15o. I have been a Ford driver since my 1965 Mustang, but this time we went the route of Mr & Mrs S with a 2012 Ram 2500 / 6.7 Turbo diesel. I won't go into the blown head on the Ford motor a few years back.

We like the interior appointments and package equipment better than the other brands ... BUT what really made the difference was when I looked under the Chevy 2500 and asked the salesman just what was the black tank for. He explained the DEF or Urea needed to be added to the tank at the recommended oil change interval of 3k miles! Ford was the same situation and, no manual transmissions apparently are available any more ??

Other Ram features that we really like: 100k mile warranty ... dual zone AC ... did you know that the seats heat and even cool now ...integrated trailer brake controller ...TPMS pressure read out on the electronic vehicle info display ... much easier lining up to the class IV hitch with the dash sized rear camera display - not the smaller in the mirror display we had before ... we wouldn't likely have bought the satellite radio, but the oldies channels are great plus travel link ... hands off cell phone with u-connect ... electric / sliding rear window ...trailer tow package ... diesel exhaust brake and tow / haul mode ... dual trans oil cooler ... adjustable pedal position for my height-disadvantaged wife ...and we can't decide whether we like the sunroof better or the flip up tow mirrors. So far, mileage unhooked is 17 mpg hwy and 10 around town; ouch. Now to get this hooked up and down the road!
After 12,000 miles of which 60% towing something, we still love our TV and have no regrets of it being our TV of choice. Mainly for all the reasons you listed above.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Mefly2,

Where are the pictures?..............

Your fuel mileage will improve when you hit about 25,000 miles. At least that what happened to my pickup.

Rumor has it that 2014 Dodge will have DEF tanks on the consumer 2500 and 3500 trucks.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
That is the same rumor about DEF being required very soon in the Rams that we heard multiple times as well; so, good reason to buy this year. No pics yet of the AS and Ram together, just the Ram - as we still have a great deal of snow here. The only down side is that I had to get a new topper as well and the Ford crew s/b-fitted bedrug and slider are too short for the Ram short box. This, too, shall pass!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1324246537255.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	150846   Click image for larger version

Name:	1321541943397.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	150851  

Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I had had an AS LY motorhome that had the old mechanical Cummins engine in it tuned to 230 hp. I had mega issues with it (mostly poor quality rebuilding by Bosch of the fuel pump). I finally sold it and bought the 32-ft Excella with a 1999 Dodge 2500 (24-valve Cummins turbo diesel) from a gentleman who was turning 90 years old and had to hang up the keys. The truck had 55,300 miles on it when I took delivery of the rig in October/2011. I've put 9,000 miles on it in the past 4 months travelled from Wisconsin to Ottawa ON, and then down to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California. I'm getting 16+ mpg towing the trailer. The truck hauled me across the continental divide with no trouble at all. It does have the 4-speed automatic (which is the weak link), however, I'm told that as long as I don't modify the engine, the transmission should last. The previous owner had been an Amsoil dealer, and all the lubricants in the truck are Amsoil. I should add that after 9,000 miles, the dip stick shows the oil level still right at the top of full. Oh, yes, I paid $9,500 for the truck.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm getting 16+ mpg towing the trailer.

What is your travel speed?

The number is consistent with at least a half-dozen others using 2nd & 3rd Generation Dodge diesels, pulling 28-34' A/S, Avion and Silver Streak trailers.

Glad to hear of your good fortune with the truck (knock on wood). DTT and a couple of other shops seem well-regarded if the transmission ever becomes troublesome.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Like others here, I'm partial to my Cummings Dodge...a 5.9 Laramie edition that gets 15MPG towing the 2010 28 ft International. May even upgrade to a newer one although I'm not thrilled with all aspects of the 6.7 but want to avoid a DEF truck at all costs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-185399926.png
Views:	53
Size:	937.3 KB
ID:	150852  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Like others here, I'm partial to my Cummings Dodge...a 5.9 Laramie edition that gets 15MPG towing the 2010 28 ft International. May even upgrade to a newer one although I'm not thrilled with all aspects of the 6.7 but want to avoid a DEF truck at all costs.

I've been involved with a local diesel performance/repair shop for the better part of the last dozen years or so and have been driving a Cummins powered Dodge since my 1992. The only thing you are going to find with the 6.7L's compaired to the 5.9L's are issues related to the new emissions systems. If you are going to use is primarily as a tow vehicle rather than a daily driver, you will see less issues than those who rack up a lot of short trips. All of the post 2007 emissions trucks really need long runs and/or relatively regular hard work (like towing) to get the temps up and allow the regeneration process to keep everything clean. Later trucks seem to have less overall issues than the early 2007.5-2008 model years.

As far as DEF is concerned, so far, the DEF GM and Ford trucks are seeing far less soot related issues as compaired to thier pre-DEF offerings due to less need for EGR to meet emissions levels. I've worked on a few Dodge 4500's and 5500's that use DEF and the same observations on soot related issues have been observed. I currently have 2 5.9L Rams, a 2004.5 and a 2007. I plan on keeping them a little while longer, but would have no issue at this point buying a 6.7L now that most of the bugs have been worked out and I am much more familiar with how everything works.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would not touch Chev

Quality is the least of there concerns, bought new malibu what pile of junk used honda I traded is worth more today with twice miles. I would take new chev pickup only because I have seen some serious cheap prices in AZ on 2wd brand new work trucks $11k I would consider one. For diesel hands down Cummins is right motor, another issue with Chev silverado is weak poor design front suspension on 4x4s. Apply to much power with your diesel and crap happens. New fords look pretty good on paper.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Don't know why any of you are worried over DEF. The trade-off of a bit more complexity is offset by higher fuel mileage. The non-DEF trucks are cheaper to buy, but the cost difference comes back out in re poor fuel mileage. DEF has the advantage.

Availablity of DEF is no bar. Even Wal-Mart has it.

This sounds like the 12V versus 24V "worries" of fourteen years ago when that change was underway. Or with the change to the 3rd Gen HPCR motors . . which wound up being more reliable than the 2nd Gen, and with the same or better mpg.

Of course, anyone who trades a CTD prior to 300k miles or 15-years isn't too serious anyway. New for the sake of new can't undergird the transaction when analyzed.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote