Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
They make a great tv. But seriously Ford should hire you.

10,000 miles and Yes. I believe in my truck,,,...Well all of them.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Towing Guide now available from TL

Trailer Life just did a test on the 2011 Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesels. ALso the New Towing guide is here if you are considering gas engines or another brand if Vehicle.

http://www.trailerlife.com/Images/Di...wGuide2011.pdf

Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Printing out all 45 pages now....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The new Fords really do look like sharp vehicles! In fact, they have a picture of one in the new Trailer Life; two tone 4-door dually. It's beautiful.

And, a buddy of mine just traded in his 2003 Ram on a new 250. The Ford was $56K on the sticker, but by the time they worked all the discounts and stuff, they got it down to around $41K. And, they allowed him $15k for his Dodge (which he'd just turned over 100,000 miles on it).

Ford is making some pretty good deals right now.

JFS, sounds to me like you're getting a pretty nice rig!

I may get another one at some point, but I've only put 35,000 on my Dodge so far, own it free and clear, and I keep it in the garage when not on the road so it looks just like a new one. I think she'll last me a few more years

See you guys on the road!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
The Ford was $56K on the sticker, but by the time they worked all the discounts and stuff, they got it down to around $41K.
That sounds to good to be true....The Ford dealers around here sure dont come off the sticker like that. Sounds like a great deal if I could get a deal like that I'd buy a Ford.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For what it's worth, I run a 2004 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins factory rated at 305hp and 555 ft-lbs of torque. I pull a 34' Avion triple axle that is actually 36' long and grosses right about 10,000 lbs . . I have not encountered a hill yet that I could not accelerate up while pulling this trailer.

I used to get 21mpg with this truck until they changed the diesel fuel formulation in 2007. Now I get about 19mpg empty, and around 12-14mpg towing. I've not run into a situation yet where I needed more power.

I also have a 305/555 ISB (Cummins, Scheck ) with the man trans behind it in 2WD. Bought used at 120k/3-yrs. Mileage is simply outstanding, the single repair up to 170k/4,300-hrs has been u-joints (tires and brakes went past 120k). No rattles, squeaks or leaks.

Mpg pulling a 34' Silver Streak was 13 on the hilly backroads, and 15+ at 63 mph. Combination scaled at 15,000+. Solo I average 22.5 mpg for all miles the past 22,000; 19-20 city, 24-27 highway (I always drive for economy which is why I bought a Cummins-engined truck in this configuration.) My numbers solo and towing a similar trailer are not unique. (And had I slowed down to 58-mph, I'd have broken 16 towing).

The newer ones won't do as well on mileage, same as the other brands. On these, the "Third Generation" trucks with the best mpg are 2003-04, with a drop-off through the end of the 5.9 in early 2007. Mine is dead stock (except it now has two mufflers instead of one). There is not an Airstream built that needs more power for any situation. The extra power is superfluous . . so in the event you are considering a used truck these models are already dialed in for a fantastic blend of power and economy. Naysayers need remedial training in towing.

The straight 6 is a different experience than a V8. Doesn't rev as fast or as far (doesn't need to) so it takes a bit of attenuation of the right foot. No slipping the clutch, as with a V8 diesel under a heavy load (the reason Ford & GM no longer have them). Pulls harder on the hills, runs easier on the flats. DODGE has been installing the ISB for 22-years now. It's record is unmatched for economy of any sort, and power production for those so inclined. It's a medium duty engine in a light duty truck.

I'd drive them all. But don't be swayed by chrome dash switches. If you keep it a long time (past 5-years or 150k) then it's still the default choice for a truck that will be worked hard by commercial haulers. HP ratings and acceleration tests are fairly meaningless. It's how well it descends a grade, how well it brakes in any situation, and the general feeling of confidence inspired. Take your time.

Good luck
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
If you watched Top Gear (History ) Sunday night, they finally answered the question, which American truck is the best. It wasn't either ..... or ........
Tim
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
For what it's worth, I run a 2004 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins factory rated at 305hp and 555 ft-lbs of torque. I pull a 34' Avion triple axle that is actually 36' long and grosses right about 10,000 lbs . . I have not encountered a hill yet that I could not accelerate up while pulling this trailer.

I used to get 21mpg with this truck until they changed the diesel fuel formulation in 2007. Now I get about 19mpg empty, and around 12-14mpg towing. I've not run into a situation yet where I needed more power.

I also have a 305/555 ISB (Cummins, Scheck ) with the man trans behind it in 2WD. Bought used at 120k/3-yrs. Mileage is simply outstanding, the single repair up to 170k/4,300-hrs has been u-joints (tires and brakes went past 120k). No rattles, squeaks or leaks.

Mpg pulling a 34' Silver Streak was 13 on the hilly backroads, and 15+ at 63 mph. Combination scaled at 15,000+. Solo I average 22.5 mpg for all miles the past 22,000; 19-20 city, 24-27 highway (I always drive for economy which is why I bought a Cummins-engined truck in this configuration.) My numbers solo and towing a similar trailer are not unique. (And had I slowed down to 58-mph, I'd have broken 16 towing).

The newer ones won't do as well on mileage, same as the other brands. On these, the "Third Generation" trucks with the best mpg are 2003-04, with a drop-off through the end of the 5.9 in early 2007. Mine is dead stock (except it now has two mufflers instead of one). There is not an Airstream built that needs more power for any situation. The extra power is superfluous . . so in the event you are considering a used truck these models are already dialed in for a fantastic blend of power and economy. Naysayers need remedial training in towing.

The straight 6 is a different experience than a V8. Doesn't rev as fast or as far (doesn't need to) so it takes a bit of attenuation of the right foot. No slipping the clutch, as with a V8 diesel under a heavy load (the reason Ford & GM no longer have them). Pulls harder on the hills, runs easier on the flats. DODGE has been installing the ISB for 22-years now. It's record is unmatched for economy of any sort, and power production for those so inclined. It's a medium duty engine in a light duty truck.

I'd drive them all. But don't be swayed by chrome dash switches. If you keep it a long time (past 5-years or 150k) then it's still the default choice for a truck that will be worked hard by commercial haulers. HP ratings and acceleration tests are fairly meaningless. It's how well it descends a grade, how well it brakes in any situation, and the general feeling of confidence inspired. Take your time.

Good luck
Ford and GM no longer have manual transmissions because the demand fell to less than 1% of production volume. For commercial vehicles, fleets can't find employees who know how to drive them without burning up the clutch. They don't want to pay for automatics, but clutch replacements were eatin' them up. SAD BUT TRUE! That is the fact!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well so far, my buddy is really happy with his new 250. I told him he was a turncoat for abandoning Mother Mopar though

Actually, he told me he wanted to buy another Dodge, but that the dealers just wouldn't work with him. By comparison, the Ford dealer was just fawning to get him to buy one. They really worked him a deal.

I had a 2001 Ford Excursion, with the gas V-10. It blew up, at 36,348 miles (I will never forget this) and Ford wouldn't make good on the repair (even though I'd bought a 7-year 100,000 mile extended powertrain warranty). That angered me so much against Ford that I swore I'd never buy another of their products. My one Ford guru buddy has tried to convince me that it was the dealership that hosed me, not FoMoCo itself.

Well, my work car is a 2010 Ford Escape. I've put 18,000 miles on it in seven months and the little whizzer actually runs pretty good. It's almost restored my faith in Ford. I would almost consider buying a new SuperDuty now if they (A) wrote me an apology letter for the way they treated me a few years ago and (B) included a sizable discount coupon along with the letter.

If anyone is interested, I have a repair kit for fixing blown heads in the vehicle now for Triton engines. Ford's standard repair fee for this malady is about $3000. I will do it for 1/3 that. Yes, so many Triton's blew that Timesert developed an in-car repair kit (you have to either lift the body or drop the front suspension out to get enough clearance to pull the head on a V8/V10 superduty/Ex).

Truth is, I loved my Excursion. It was a wonderful vehicle. It was solid, luxurious, got good gas mileage (better than the '86 Suburban it replaced and the Ex was a 3/4 ton where the 'burb was a 1/2). But if it doesn't run when you turn the key, what good is it? In my fit of rage after being jerked around by the Ford dealer, I repaired it myself and traded it for the Cummins. I have had absolutely zero problems with the Dodge in six years.

But anyway, they all have their ups and downs. I really like the F-450's. Heck, if I got one of those I might even....dare I say it....consider getting a big 5er

Oh, on the trannies....a few years ago I'd have said get a manual. Most of the Kenworth's and Freightliners you see out there have manual's. But, the automatics have gotten pretty advanced. I wouldn't hesitate to get an auto now. The Allison tranny in the GM trucks is simply excellent. The new Mopar tranny is supposedly a clone of the Allison. And the Ford is what, a six speed? It's supposed to be great too. Plus, I really like that they're including the brake controllers from the factory now that are plumbed in to read the master cylinder pressure. That is truly smart. They're really getting their acts together.

I guess I should mention that my own truck is a 4-door long bed 4x4, so that may explain why my mileage isn't quite as high as some others have seen. My one friend has a 2 wheel drive truck very similar to mine and he routinely gets 2-3mpg better. But, I like 4x4...

As one of the other posters mentioned earlier....there really has never been a better time to get a screaming deal on an awesome weasel. If you've got the green, go get you a new one and never look back.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming....
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
TV's

jasmith84

You touched a firestorm common with this ??

We have owned an '08 250 and traded it in on a 2010 Ram 3500 dually. At the time we did so to pull a fiver and the 250 really wasn't enough truck for the job.

We found the Ram to be far more comfortable that the the Ford especially on long towing days, not only because of the suspension but also because of the newly contoured seats.

I believe the Cumins to be more economical yet it can provide more than enough power even to pull a 15,000# fiver. I can't wait to see how it tows our new AS.

Rode with a friend today pulling a 31' Classic in a 3500 SRW and the ride was unbelievably smoooooooth. However he was testing his new 3P hitch which is a dream and no doubt contributed to the effortless tow. ZIGI
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Don't buy a Chevy.

We have a 2004 Duramax LB7. They're very common for injector failure and will cost you a few grand to fix unless you do it yourself. Then you might be able to do the whole engine for only $1700 in parts if you're lucky. 200k miles and 7 year warranty from Government Motors supposed to cover this known problem, but they denied my warranty last week even though I fall in the warranty time and miles. Not going to get into the why.

Talking on the phone with GM's business office (not their crappy outsourced customer assistance line in Malaysia or Philippines which I got to talk to first - can't remember where it is right now, but over there somewhere) the guy on the phone in Detroit told me after a few calls said he could not help me and "was not at liberty to tell me why"

I had to spend $2500 out of pocket to replace 4 of them at an independent shop on the road, away from home and extend our trip, pay $150 for overnighted parts, etc. Dealers will charge you much much more. Let's hope the other 4 last longer.

I love their trucks and some of the newer engines are near bulletproof and get good mileage. Mine got 11mpg pulling our loaded 28 footer with a 4000 foot climb spanned over 100 miles just now after it was repaired. I'm looking forward to getting better MPG hopefully which might offset the cost of repairs.

However GM customer service is total crap and I have yet to have anything more than a barely adquate experience at any Chevy dealer. So I'm torn. I would like to upgrade to a newer one, but the company has been terrible to me for my first time GM purchase. Probably going to be my last ever. So sad, I really would have liked a low mile LLY or LBZ with Allison 6spd.

I spent a lot of time talking with the guy at the shop that fixed it. The thing I learned from that was to find a good independent diesel shop that works on all makes and find out what commonly goes wrong with the different years of each make if I'm buying used (which I most likely will) and make a decision based on what you learn about each. All will have their problems, some are much worse/expensive than others.

Then go google google for common problems with whatever year you're looking at.

Now go buy a nice Dodge so I can get my revenge on GM by telling everyone I know and don't know to buy something else... anything else.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I also have a 305/555 ISB (Cummins, Scheck )
Hey - I was tired when posting....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
So, You gonna let us know what you bought?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #28
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
U dodge guys are funny!

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote