Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #41
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I think with the engineering of the Hensley "eliminate" is pretty accurate. But if you don't have the Hensley installed or hitched correctly, you won't have sway control (torsion bars not tight enough, etc.). Or I suppose excessive speed downhill or something.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #42
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The Hensley hitch has been discussed to death elsewhere, let's please get back to the topic of this thread which is longer wheel bases.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
so how about front hitch where you can put a winch for that time you need 4x4 and don't have it. I don't plan to get into situations like that but you can never tell sometimes.

again we plan on doing some/lot of national parks and understand they can be a bit tight on space like Yellowstone which was built in the 20's? 30's? when cars were large but trailers were smaller.

have a bunch (4-6 yrs) of time till we go full time so i can buy what i need with cash so no bill in the future.

that is one reason for buying the truck now and a 2002 model.. the one i am going to see/buy? is the crew cab with full bed and 2 wheel drive with 145K miles in good condition for less than 12K plus it wont get a bunch of miles for the next 2 yrs.

i see a bunch of 6.5 bed with crewcab and many with 8 ft bed. just this afternoon a 5er being pulled by crew 8 ft bed unit flew by on the interstate heading west out of RDU.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYater View Post
I think the biggest plus of the extra length allows for less sway of the tow vehicle and prevents loss of control and then the really bad things......
I think foiledagain could argue that point, since she had a long bed 4 door truck, and it still rolled over with her Airstream.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
According to this, for the 2015 model, it's 15" longer. So, it's longer, but not "another couple feet." Unless crew cab + 8' bed meant something very different back in 2002.
No, that was just a SWAG. Still, longer usually does equal wider turning radius.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think foiledagain could argue that point, since she had a long bed 4 door truck, and it still rolled over with her Airstream.
I never said it would stop sway or the prevention of an accident, I said, "it allows for less sway" and I'll stand behind that statement all day long.

Simple physics tells us that if the rear of trailer is hit by a gust of wind(natural or the buffeting off a semi or bus) it will try to rotate the trailer on the axles in the center of the trailer which will try to translate through the hitch and into your tow vehicle. The longer the wheel base the more energy from the wind is required to throw the TV out of control.

Too much rigidity will also translate into the TV and cause any action of the trailer, tipping, to potentially be carried into the TV and a rollover condition could result.

End result, minimizing the potential for a swaying condition without going to rigid is paramount, but never a guarantee. If that means a longer wheel base, and anti-sway bar(s), that is what I'll use!

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
so how about front hitch where you can put a winch for that time you need 4x4 and don't have it. I don't plan to get into situations like that but you can never tell sometimes.
If you are planning on a winch mounted on a reciever mount, they have clear potential. They are getting lighter all the time, and you can use it in the front and the back which is clearly a plus, but the winch and the carrier to mount it on will take up some space wherever you choose to store it.

There are winch carriers that double up and allow you to attach a trailer in line since they have a reciever under the roller fairlead, but I wouldn't leave it there and tow in the rear of the vehicle for any length of time.

You could leave the winch carrier in a forward reciever all the time, but I would worry about theft, even with a locking pin for the reciever.

I would suggest that if you want a winch, just mount it completely, I like mine in the front much more than the problem of getting it out of a box in the bed, carrying it around, lifting it into position and then connecting electrical.

The only reason I wanted the forward reciever was for flatbed trailer work.

I didn't mention it in my last response about the forward reciever possibilities, but when my TV is attached at the front to any of my non flat bed trailers, you pretty much cannot see anything. You cannot see down the street side of the trailer at all, and you can only see down the curb side when your head is out the window, so mirrors work better if you do not have a spotter with a loud voice.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
My TV on a pick up job.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Drive both bed lengths, make your turns and decide for yourself.
If the owner / dealer of the trucks will allow, hitch up a trailer and repeat above ...
If you need more space, go LB. Our SB works great for us but YMMV.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that is true about not seeing the street side of the unit with a front mount Tow bar.. maybe a wireless camera mounted on side of trailer somehow to show you something and a good helper with walkie talkie..

my wife is good with backing trailers and such.. we used to have a boat, she would stay in boat idling around and when i backed trailer she ran boat up, i hooked to wench and tighten a bit and off we went.. not like some where the wife is clueless on loading the trailer and block up ramp for ever.

she rocks..
Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Quote:
my wife is good with backing trailers and such...

she rocks..
Lucky you, mine learned by watching her mother stands around with her hands on her hips until you almost hit something that you saw 30 seconds before and have already compensated for.

But I work with several women who were aircraft crew chiefs and can marshal you in with no problems. All about proper training and experience, male our female.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #52
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
So I think perception might be a part of it here folks. In hindsight, I have considered those larger trucks to be just too freaking big to maneuver. Even my short bed felt huge when we first got it. After owning it for about a month, it suddenly doesn't feel as big as it did. And I'm wondering how much of the it's so big was really just my brain playing tricks. I mean it's bigger than my SUV and car. But it seemed much bigger at first. Might hold true for others.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's only too big when you can't make the turns you want, park where you want, or every time you use it it's only half full.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #54
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
2012 2500 Chev Silverado 4x4.
A couple times towing and parking used 4x4.. Made the task a mere flip of the switch.

Extra weight of truck matches well with 34' of AS!

When first bought the truck I said.."I am crazy". When I bought the AS I said "my God, what have I done!"
When I needed 4x4 and bigger truck and ProPride for evasive maneuver I said..."I am glad I was prepared. "
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
So I think perception might be a part of it here folks. In hindsight, I have considered those larger trucks to be just too freaking big to maneuver. Even my short bed felt huge when we first got it. After owning it for about a month, it suddenly doesn't feel as big as it did. And I'm wondering how much of the it's so big was really just my brain playing tricks. I mean it's bigger than my SUV and car. But it seemed much bigger at first. Might hold true for others.
In my area the soccer moms drive suburbans and they are not small cars. They seem to have NO problem wedging that thing in the mall parking lots as you see them side by side for seveal spaces up by the door not in the outer reaches of the parking lot..

Yes you are correct, a braim is a terble thang to wase..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
from backing up while driving a tractor trailer,(long haul and city delivery 8 yrs) to backing up while pulling a boat for the past 30yrs and backing up pulling a utility i use in my business I can assure you going backwards with mirrors is not that big a deal.

I understand you only see the front of the trailer. I was actually thinking about places where the long wheel base and tight camping spots could make it hard to "just back in normal". Plus i have a co pilot and can get a wireless camera to use on back of trailer to see going backwards.

With a front hitch you get more maneuverability in tight spots.

I was asking if having a front hitch is worth the money, $213.00 at etrailer.com or not.

Carl,
From your long experience in driving big rigs, I'm sure you've hear the terms when backing up with a trailer.

"Steer the truck towards trouble, the trailer will go where you want it to go"

Pretty simple, and it works!

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Since I don't fulltime, my TV has to be a multipurpose vehicle. While I drive my 12 year old car around in the summer, I need a 4X4 in the winter. I also need a pickup truck to haul stuff (home from the hardware store as well as the occasional trip to the dump).

I used to have a '95 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 (7.3 Powerstroke, 4.10 gears)... good tow vehicle, but hard to live with otherwise. I hit a lot of curbs when turning right (while running solo) because I prefer to stay on my side of the road.

In 2009, I traded the Ford in on a '09 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Bed 4X4 (6.7 Cummins, 3.73 gears) and that was very maneuverable. I traded it for a '12 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Short Bed 4X4 (6.7 Cummins, 3.73 gears) in 2012. While I can tell a difference in the turning radius between them, the '12 seems to work for me. I usually don't haul much anyway so I can get by with the short bed... I really don't like crawling on my knees towards the cab anyway. I do like the extra room in the cab though.

I know an argument can be made for both length beds (which is why they still manufacture both) but I'd buy a standard cab if I really had to have a long bed.

Just my $0.02 though, YMMV.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #58
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Good info on this subject. Thinking seriously about a 2015 F150. Currently have the short bed and I could really use some extra space along with much more payload capacity. I did notice today that you do have to pay attention when making a U turn. Probably could not have made it with a long bed but I suppose one can adjust.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Probably could not have made it with a long bed but I suppose one can adjust.
I'd say that is the long and short of it. (pun intended) I park a little further out with my Ram 2500, with a 22' overall length I have to change my driving habits in it versus the commuter metro.

However, as long as I am not going at any kind of speed, sidewalks just turn into speed bumps if I have to climb them in unforeseen situations. That is why trucks have larger tires, they are designed for more than smooth pavement, and it doesn't bother me in the least bit.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting, I was complaining that I was having trouble finding a proper parking space for my truck. My wife commented that I didn't psrk the Mitsubishi Eclypse any better. You know, she was right! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote