Old 08-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

long bed vs short bed towing 8400 lbs.

My Excella 1000 weighs 8400 lbs. loaded. I intend to pull it with an F-250 diesel 4x4. My question involves choosing between a short bed (156") vs long bed (172"). I would be interested in comments regarding the compromises of a short bed. Thank you.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Welcome to the forums longears ! We have an 97 F250 Diesel Crewcab shorty in 4x4 configuration,and unless you need the bed space for other gear,I'd justify having the shorter wheelbase. I'm sure others here will chime in,having the longbed,supercabs,and crewcabs. Enjoy the forums!

Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for your help. There is an F-250 PSD short bed on the lot in a color I like more than the long bed color. If there aren't compelling reasons to avoid a short bed, then that is the direction I would like to go.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

longer wheelbase = less sway

Period.

But there are always compromises when it comes to towing. Will you be trailering often or for long distances? Do you do a lot of city driving while not towing? Are you willing to pay the added expense for anti-sway bars? Do you often use the box for construction or moving stuff. These are some of the questions only you can answer. My 3/4 ton extended cab longbox tows like a dream. I have lots of room for lawn chairs, bicycles, barbeque, etc. even with a 2ft. deep tool box. Adding anti-sway would be a waste of money because there simply is NO sway. But then, I take up 2 parking stalls every time I have to park it at the mall or grocery store. I need a football field to make a u-turn because of its large turning radius. And it took a while before I stopped rubbing the sidewalls off the rear tires on curbs.

Having said that, I think 3/4 ton extended cabs look better with long beds and 1/2 ton extended cabs look better with short beds. They just look more balanced that way to me.

"Its always something" - Gilda Radner
"Well then.....nevermind..............bitch" - Rosana Rosana Dana
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I have an '04 F250 SuperCab shortbed (142"). Tows really well and is very maneuverable around town. No sway at all and I tow without any gizmos. Having had this setup I won't go back to a long bed. BTW, the distance from ball to rear axle, often considered a critical component of towing stability, is the same on the short vs. long bed, all the difference between the two is forward of the rear axle.

john
Old 08-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
I'' agree with BBB and Safari Tim,when comes to sway control. I see no reason for weight distribution bars on my configuration. With a heavy diesel motor and front drive axle weights,I'm nose heavy already,why try and distribute any addtion weight to the front ? I'm lucky to get 800lbs. of my tougue weight,on my hitch,and thats my wife load the trailer !
Old 08-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I have an '04 F250 SuperCab shortbed (142"). Tows really well and is very maneuverable around town. No sway at all and I tow without any gizmos. Having had this setup I won't go back to a long bed. BTW, the distance from ball to rear axle, often considered a critical component of towing stability, is the same on the short vs. long bed, all the difference between the two is forward of the rear axle.
John, keep in mind that you are towing only a 23' trailer. I think a longbed supercab would be excessive for that size of trailer. But there will be a definate benefit to a longer wheelbase towing a 31' Excella that weighs over 8000 lbs. dry. Keep in mind that the distance from ball to rear axle is only part of the equation for towing stability (ie. sway). Wheelbase is the other part of the equation.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Brad,

Yes, you are right about my Safari - 23', 5000 lbs. So I don't have any worries anyway, with an F250. But, he is looking at Crewcabs, so even with the shortbed he is at 156" wheelbase, 14" longer than mine and comparable to a Supercab longbed. Should be enough. I can't imagine trying to maneuver in any city with the crewcab longbed...

john
Old 08-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
One other item I recall,after having previously own a crewcab longbed prior,was while backing. While backing up,and you go beyond a 45 degree angle,my shorter wheelbase crewcab pickup, can recover back into a straight line,in a much shorter distance.But I guess its in all of what you may need.Do a search for member Porky Pig,a nice setup,with a new 34' and a new crewcab diesel 4x4 shorty.(sorry for the mis quote from 71 Safari,viewing polishing pic's,of Safari Tim's trailer while typing)
Old 08-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Hi John:

Yes, I stand corrected. I didn't realize 156" was the wheelbase for the crewcab. That will teach me for not doing my homework.

A 3/4 ton Crewcab/shortbed is certainly long enough to pull a 31' Airstream without the need for anti-sway control. And anything longer is excessive unless you REALLY need the cargo room.

Coastalview also makes a very good point about backing this train up.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
FWIW, the long bed has a 38 gallon fuel tank while IIRC the short bed is 29. Our 158" extended cab/long bed handles the 34' just fine, but the Hensley helps too.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 AM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Well Maurice beat me to it. Bigger gas tank on the long bed is nice. Although its hard to stomach the cost of filling it up

I purchased my truck used from an indiviudal so I did not have that much choice. The main thing I needed was the crew cab.

However after having the long bed I think I would purchase one again.

I can hold three full size bicycles one with a infant seat, beach umbrella, 4 lawn chairs, cooler, leveling blocks, sewer hose extension and more. And still close the hard top lid

Only problem as you may have read from my other post. Its a little difficult backing up with my 23' truck and 23' trailer in a tight spot. I feel part of my job is to entertain those who arrived before me with my backing up antics

Good luck with your choice!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #13
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
Do a search for member Porky Pig,a nice setup,with a new 34' and a new crewcab diesel 4x4 shorty.
My CrewCab short bed handles the 34 just fine ... and like Maurice said .. the Hensley really helps.

The short bed enables me to squeeze into a parking spot easier than the longbed Crew Cab ... and the smaller fuel tank allows me a bit more weight carrying capacity ... roughly 70 pounds. I'm fulltiming ... so every pound counts.

Also ... my wheelbase is 156.2" ... the long bed Super Cab is 158" ... almost the same. I could have easily gone with the long bed SC ... but liked the idea of a bigger back seat ... it works for us.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Coastalview asked the question "With a heavy diesel motor and front drive axle weights,I'm nose heavy already,why try and distribute any addtion weight to the front ?" My answer would be that when the trailer is loaded onto the ball hitch, the front wheels are lifted up, the load on the front wheels becomes less than the empty designed load, and the available steering forces become less, just when you want them to be greater. You are not putting additional weight on the front, compared to the unhitched state. On the contrary, you are tring to get back to the designed parameters. With the high spring rates at the front of diesel trucks, this is difficult to achieve. Measuring the height of the front wheel arches from the road under the three circumstances ( trailer detached, trailer attached, trailer attached with distribution bars) will illustrate this. I use the bars for that reason, to give maximum potential steering power when disaster looms. That's my experience. Nick