1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Rite on rednax

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i learned my lesson in virginia late one night when i refueled at a local gas station.ended up with water in the fuel before leaving home i always go on the flying j truck stop site to fiqure out in each state where the truck stops home i only use one fuel station that i know pumps lots of diesel.i also use a fuel additive with every tank since fuel quality cosistency is problamatic.truck stops generally have plenty of room for manuvering.

xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Flying J discount

Pick up a free Flying J discount card application and get a bit off on each purchase. The more you pump the higher the discount. Every little bit helps.
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Follow The Signs

My particular quirk is to fuel up every half tank. On mine every 150-200 miles. That gives plenty of time to look.
I combine a stretch & pee break with fuel. Keep drinking lots of water. Taking care of the drivers body is as important as food, fuel, death and taxes. Kidding on the last 2, just no avoiding them.
I tend to use places with high truck traffic before or after a city. City congestion gives information overload and higher accident risk, often times higher prices too.
Having and knowing about the water sensor/separator is important because you never know when water will strike.
"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Next Exit is a great resource. Just got one. Another one is "National Truck Stop Directory" available at Flying J, etc. It gives not only fuel availability, but for RVer's 1) Are RV's welcome, 2)Dumping stations plus a lot of other info.

One point mentioned earlier about stopping at truck stops. The larger ones are busy and it's important move your RV ahead after fueling when other trucks are waiting to fill. They are not on vacation.
2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Finding diesel fuel in the west is never a problem. Finding a pump island that is parallel, rather than perpendicular, to the building can be problematic though.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Twilight Zone

Is this a coincidence or what?

We recently finished a week long trip to visit relatives in NE Iowa.

On Tuesday August 17th, we pulled into the Flying J in Gretna, Nebraska. A McClane's food delivery semi was backed up to the front of the station totally blocking the exit from the RV Island. We could get in, but would be unable to continue on and exit. We let him defeat us and went to the truck Islands.

Exactly one week later on Tuesday August 24th. We stopped at the Flying J in North Platte, Nebraska at roughly the same time of day. De ja vue!! , what seemed to be the same truck and same driver was parked in the same spot at this Flying J. He was accomplishing the same effective blocking. The station was laid out exactly like the first.

This time we decided that if we were going to break this string of bad McClane Karma, we had to address it straight on. So we pulled in anyway, hoping he would finish and leave. When we finished, he was still messing around and didn't show any inclination to leave, so we backed out. This was secretly satisifying as it allowed us to disrupt the flow in and out of the auto islands.

The thing that annoyed me the most, was that, in both instances, he could have parked on the other side of the lot divider and been about the same distance from the door. He would have only blocked one of the many truck Islands which in both instances were only ~25% in use.

That combined with the other Flying J on the trip ( I don't remember the location) where the pumps on the RV Island were all out of order (we didn't discover that until we were in position to fuel, because the only notice was a small note on each pump) makes me wonder about their interest in the RV business.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's a rant about those @#$%%^& stations. Watch out for BP! Their diesel pump handles are black. Don't assume a green handle is diesel. Filling stations are enemy territory: punk kids smoke around the pumps, people back up without looking, it takes two trips to pump and to pay, there's fuel contamination everywhere, it's dangerous to run between the trucks, the food is inedible, it's hard to walk the pooch ... ARRRRGH! But as Tony Soprano says, "What are you gonna do?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Austin, 3-1310 009.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	110012  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Nice thing is they all are Ultra-Low Diesel now....

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote