Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #71
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
cb, yes you will love the diesel. However, you will not have the benefit of suffering the misery of pulling a significant load with a 1/2 ton gasser-you will never fully understand how well off you are!

As far as the genny; if I were planning on using the genset often (full timing/extensive boondocking) I would definitely go with the three way genset with propane hookup. This way you could run off propane and always have the internal tank full for another 12 hrs (?) or so run time. I think this is a neat way to go.

You are doing well, asking lots of good questions...

Bill

Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
alternator

CB,

I forgot to answer your question about the alternator. I would get the heavy duty alternator at least. The dual alternator set up is merely redundancy, unless you have some serious need. You probably won't need the dual set up unless you plan on powering some ham radio equipment.

You need the HD alternator to recharge the battery/s on the camper, especially after a few days of boondocking. And, the HD alternator can also run the fridge to keep your food from spoiling. If it's cold outside, the truck can power the furnace too. Don't forget that you have an extra set of taillights and running lights in the camper that the truck has to power.

The diesel engine comes standard with two batteries, they are needed to get the engine started. The diesel engine has a compression ratio of about 17:1 where the gassers only run 8.5:1 or so. The diesel engine also has HUGE pistons and conrods that require lots of juice to get moving.

I wasn't aware of the two battery option for the gasser, but it wouldn't hurt.

Woody

Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody.303 View Post
CB,

The diesel engine is known for going one million miles or more. And you won't have to change spark plugs every year.

Woody
Hi, this statement is outdated by decades; virtually all modern gas engines use double platnum spark plugs good for 100,000 miles. That's a lot of towing per year!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this statement is outdated by decades; virtually all modern gas engines use double platnum spark plugs good for 100,000 miles. That's a lot of towing per year!

But it's a good idea to remove, check 'em out and clean threads. If you wait til 100000 you may end up with several "lifetime" plugs, and it can be expensive to get 'em out!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

But it's a good idea to remove, check 'em out and clean threads. If you wait til 100000 you may end up with several "lifetime" plugs, and it can be expensive to get 'em out!
This is very sage advice. A good friend of mine is a mechanic, and he has seen where customer's have left the original spark plugs in the vehicle for the entirety of the 100k, only to find out that the engine has to be torn apart because the plugs won't come out. Quite often the heads have to be removed and sent to the machine shop, or replaced.

He has also told me that the double platinums almost never make it past the 30,000 mile marker. Your mileage will suffer after the gap in the plug gets to be too big, and that usually happens at about 25,000 miles on any type of plug.

For me, it became a ritual to replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor once a year as I drive 20-25k/year. The average driver, at 12k/year, should replace their plugs bi-annually.

Wasn't it Ben Franklin that said, "A stitch in time saves nine"?

Woody
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #76
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Better safe than....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Woody

Yep....was a knuckle buster 26yrs, I still service the plugs every 30k.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody.303 View Post
This is very sage advice. A good friend of mine is a mechanic, and he has seen where customer's have left the original spark plugs in the vehicle for the entirety of the 100k, only to find out that the engine has to be torn apart because the plugs won't come out. Quite often the heads have to be removed and sent to the machine shop, or replaced.

He has also told me that the double platinums almost never make it past the 30,000 mile marker. Your mileage will suffer after the gap in the plug gets to be too big, and that usually happens at about 25,000 miles on any type of plug.

For me, it became a ritual to replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor once a year as I drive 20-25k/year. The average driver, at 12k/year, should replace their plugs bi-annually.

Woody
Ford spark plugs most assuradly last 100K miles. Or more, and Of the many sets that I have removed for the first time at 100K+ I have never encountered a stuck plug. Adios, John
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #78
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Henry knew how to build 'em...

Motorcraft=Honewell=Autocraft

RLC

RLC
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ford seems to have the opposite problem with spark plugs.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
According to our fleet mechanic Ford spark plugs are never a problem getting them out because many of the engines just spit them out at around 80K miles. Just havin' fun guys.
I was told that you don't want to go 100k miles on the plugs because the resistance a high mileage plug creates can make the coil packs go bad prematurely and that is a much greater expense. Change those plugs early on and keep em' tight.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #81
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post

Rat's....hate it when that happens.

RLC

RLC
Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post
LOL- After reading this I feel compelled to only drive imports. I have seen 3 cases of the 5.4 & or 6.8 Triton engines spitting plugs. Interestingly enough 2 such cases were in different holes than # 3. I am unsure of the warrenty problems, the ones I saw were higher milage units. It is unfortunate as it gives Ford a bad name. However I wonder on a percentage basis how it would look. Ford sold a bunch of those trucks. I have not seen one spit a plug since about the 2003 model year. Adios, John
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Does the plug launch through the hood? Perhaps Ford trucks should have warnings on the front and back similar to the "Wide Load Signs"—"Beware of Flying Spark Plugs!"

Gene
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cowtown , New York
Exclamation Do some more research...

According to information I found in a Ford trucks forum, this plug problem is old news...and non-existent on newer engines. But it must be closely monitored on those models with a certain style head which has inadequate threads to hold the plugs.

There is also a reasonable repair for this, from what I understand.

I can not give you the name of this site since they have chosen to ban me from using any of their numerous sites because I choose not to accept their crappy attitude toward those who pay their salaries and expenses.

But the information is there if you search around a bit and read.