Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
License Plate Frames Illegal?

This is my second attempt to post this so hopefully it is not a duplication.

My buddy sent me this today but I'm not sure where he got it. Barry

According to Texas' highest criminal court, obscuring any part of a vehicle's license plate, including portions of state name text and/or artwork, provides Johnny Law with all the cause he needs to pull over, ticket, and/or arrest the offending vehicle's driver. The 8-1 decision issued yesterday, concerning a case in which a man picked up a DUI bust after being pulled over due to plate obfuscation caused by a dealer-installed license plate frame, left three of the judges proclaiming the statute to be "uncommonly bad." Judge Cathy Cochran's advice to Texas drivers? Spend a little extra money, if available, to get a personalized license plate without the doo-dad design details. – Murilee Martin
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Yes our great lawmakers passed a law that it is illegal to obscure any part of the license plate. Some of the car dealerships were using plate covers that hide the name of the state on the top and some of the after market fancy covers also hide parts of the license plate. It has been effect for 2 or 3 years. Our renewal is a windshield sticker on lower drivers side of windshield.

Apparently the reason for the law was that law enforcement was unable to read the state on many plates and sometimes the numbers due to the covers.

Lots of tickets were written just after it became law. I haven't heard of any body in our area getting a ticket lately.

I see no reason to buy special plates because of this. just remove the fancy covers. Of course personlized plates bring in extra money for the state.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Kay

Would they then also pursue out of State visitors? I suppose they could but hopefully not. I know the dealership where we bought our car and truck put plate frames on which I prompty tossed. I dislike being their mobile advertising, but many people do not care either way.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The state of Texas like the rest of the states issue specialty plates which have to be special ordered and cost more. Some of the additional monies go to the organizations.

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
My grandfather, who lived in Austin, claimed that the state had been trying to make it illegal for the dA|\/| A&M alums from putting aN ATM sticker over the little Texas state shape in the middle of the plate. Looks like they got it passed.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Florida

A year or two ago the local police in South Florida were giving tickets for a license plate cover covering any information on the plate. The license cover would cover the state name and/or date.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
We then, I'm sure glad I don't live in Texas, I would have to take my AIRSTREAM frame off!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My theory is that there are so many laws on the books, you cannot help but break many of them in the daily course of your life, even if you are a perfectly straight and narrow law abiding person. So I try not to get too up in a huff about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Most, if not all, states have a similar statute in their uniform traffic code. These laws are in place to insure that license tags are not significantly obscured. I spent several years as a Motorcycle Officer with the City of Tallahassee, Florida, Police Department, and have made thousands of traffic stops. Generally, law enforcement officers do not go around stopping vehicles because a small portion of the tag is obscured. This statute is usually used as probable cause to stop a vehcle when there is no other violation present and something just doesn't smell right. The most likely reason that the stated DWI case in Texas got the State Supreme Court was that the officer was suspicious of the driver and wanted to stop him to check him out. The defendant probably claimed that he was stopped on suspicion only and, therefore, wanted the case thrown out. The officer used the tag obscuring violation as probable cause to make the traffic stop. Once having made the legal stop, the officer was then able to determine that the driver was impaired and made the arrest. I have made many DWI arrests, and there was always an accompanying violation. Usually, the only time that this is not the case is at a sobriety check point.

I do not care for license plate frames, and don't use them. If I did decide that I wanted one, I would not be the least bit concerned about being stopped by the Police.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
I think Mr. Moose hit it on the head

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Kay

Would they then also pursue out of State visitors?
Barry
I don't know about plates but I towed a utility trailer which did not need to be registered in New Mexico to Utah. I called Utah and was told the law from the state of origin covers vehicles in another state so even if the Utah statutes called for it being tagged since I was from NM it was OK without plates.

Here's a kind of related question. I have 1971 NM plates for my 1971 Airstream. I also have the current valid NM plates. I would like to display both, which I guess is probably technically illegal. If I mounted the 71 plate off to the side somewhere and kept the current plate in the regular plate position do you think I would run into Barney Fife?

Miscellaneous Laws:
It is still illegal in New York City to walk your cows on the wrong side of the street on Broadway.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
We then, I'm sure glad I don't live in Texas, I would have to take my AIRSTREAM frame off!

Yep... gonna have to take mine off!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Dave and Rick,

I have the same frame on my truck's plate.
Barney Fife can kiss my....foot

Besides that, when the Airstream is hitched up, you can't see my truck's plate anyway.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Dave and Rick,

I have the same frame on my truck's plate.
Barney Fife can kiss my....foot

Besides that, when the Airstream is hitched up, you can't see my truck's plate anyway.
I was just reading where a half dozen or so legislators from both sides of the aisle in both houses are introducing amendments to the law... Everyone wants to be a hero, don't they?

But here's the funny part - some cars here have toll tag devices issued by TxDOT that almost entirely obscure the word "TEXAS" on the license plate.

Talk about legislating yourself into a corner!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
[quote=Marshall] If I mounted the 71 plate off to the side somewhere and kept the current plate in the regular plate position do you think I would run into Barney Fife?[quote]

Marchall - I don't see any problem with that as long as you don't mind getting TWO tickets!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
In WA state you can get classic car registration and use your vintage plates. Registration is cheaper too, since they figure anyone into that probably isn't commuting with their toy. I don't know if they do that for trailers too.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I don't know about plates but I towed a utility trailer which did not need to be registered in New Mexico to Utah. I called Utah and was told the law from the state of origin covers vehicles in another state so even if the Utah statutes called for it being tagged since I was from NM it was OK without plates.

Here's a kind of related question. I have 1971 NM plates for my 1971 Airstream. I also have the current valid NM plates. I would like to display both, which I guess is probably technically illegal. If I mounted the 71 plate off to the side somewhere and kept the current plate in the regular plate position do you think I would run into Barney Fife?

Miscellaneous Laws:
It is still illegal in New York City to walk your cows on the wrong side of the street on Broadway.

Many states have what is called a YOM (year of manufacture) Law. This allows the current registration of an antique vehicle with a tag from that state of the same year. For instance, if I had a 1954 Airstream and an authentic 1954 Florida tag, I could register the Airstream with that tag number and display it as long as the same number is clear (not in current use). You just put the current sticker on the old tag. California also has a YOM Law, and a set of clear 1956 California tags in mint condition can go for as much as $500 on Ebay. About 30 states have a YOM Law, but I am not sure if New Mexico is one of them.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
In WA state you can get classic car registration and use your vintage plates. Registration is cheaper too, since they figure anyone into that probably isn't commuting with their toy. I don't know if they do that for trailers too.
Florida currently does that with trailers as well. I have a 63 plate to put on our Overlander next time I register it.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Would they then also pursue out of State visitors? I suppose they could but hopefully not.
Barry
While in Miami Beach for the International Association of Chief of Police Convention, I was pulled over by an officer who very courteously advised me that my license plate cover was partially obscuring state and the registration date sticker. Of course, being somewhat embarrassed, I apologized and immediately complied by removing the cover. From a law enforcement perspective, it's a good law.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Most, if not all, states have a similar statute in their uniform traffic code. These laws are in place to insure that license tags are not significantly obscured ...
Exactly. I kind of miss the days when you could identify the state the vehicle was registered in by the colors of the plate. Nowadays, most states (mine included) have so many special plates (pets, lighthouses, endangered species, etc.), it's nearly impossible unless you can see all the information.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote