Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wendell , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Well my opinion is that the Lexus a very reliable comfortable vehicle. I will be sad when we decide it's life has reached the end. A Land Cruiser would be better suited since the suspension can be upgraded but I have never needed to do any thing but adjust tongue weight. It rides so nice with a trailer you can easily forget it's back there.....and that is with a big boat! My truck is an 07 Tundra and the 470 rides tons better with the boat. I have had it dealer maintained and that has helped with longevity I am sure.
__________________

__________________
reelscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Westfalia's Avatar
 
2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 904
Images: 35
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Dinghy towing is OK, since there is a tranfer case neutral, and place the tranny in Park, and leave the key in the ignition after you have turn engine off to keep the steering wheel unlocked.
This would be the first I have heard of it, and if it's true that's fantastic. If this is in fact true, please PM me any details so I can pass this along to my brother who wants to make their LX740 a toad behind their big Fleetwood.

Good luck on the hunt! The LX470 is a nice vehicle.
__________________

__________________
Chris and Christina- Boerne, TX / Evergreen, CO - TAC TX-7
2008 27'FB Int'l Signature CCD
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
I have a 2002 Lexus LX470 with only 55K miles on it. I've nursed it from its birth. I really love the vehicle and don't want to trade or sell it. However, I really want to get an AS.

I like the 25', 28' and 27' models but I don't think the LX470 is the proper vehicle for towing these trailers. Is anyone towing trailers with this vehicle and, if so, what are they and your experiences.

I have not considered a 23' but might if its would tow behind my LX470 safely and well.

Appreciate some good advice.........
__________________
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30
I have a 99 landcruiser which I also love. I just purchased an 08 22 sport. I towed it without equalizer from Salt Lake City to Lake Havasu to LA and I would say that I wouldnt want much more weight. It got 14mpg going up empty and 11 coming back. It took a while for the computer to reprogram for towing. The 22 is single axle, if that matters, and didnt like going over 65mph as is. I did get sway a couple of times. I do believe that I need the 400/4000 equal-i-zer. The rear squats down 3-4 inches hitched up. There were big winds coming back on the 10 between blythe and desert center. It handled them good. The sway seemed to be induced by road conditions. I believe the 02 and 99 have same engine, different trannys. If I remember correctly, the 02 tranny is a bit weaker. Search on IH8MUD.com. Incredible resource!
__________________
bcripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post
I have a 2002 Lexus LX470 with only 55K miles on it. I've nursed it from its birth. I really love the vehicle and don't want to trade or sell it. However, I really want to get an AS.

I like the 25', 28' and 27' models but I don't think the LX470 is the proper vehicle for towing these trailers. Is anyone towing trailers with this vehicle and, if so, what are they and your experiences.

I have not considered a 23' but might if its would tow behind my LX470 safely and well.

Appreciate some good advice.........
Welcome to the forums.
What does your owner's manual say the tow weight rating is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripe View Post
I have a 99 landcruiser which I also love. I just purchased an 08 22 sport. I towed it without equalizer from Salt Lake City to Lake Havasu to LA and I would say that I wouldnt want much more weight. It got 14mpg going up empty and 11 coming back. It took a while for the computer to reprogram for towing. The 22 is single axle, if that matters, and didnt like going over 65mph as is. I did get sway a couple of times. I do believe that I need the 400/4000 equal-i-zer. The rear squats down 3-4 inches hitched up. There were big winds coming back on the 10 between blythe and desert center. It handled them good. The sway seemed to be induced by road conditions. I believe the 02 and 99 have same engine, different trannys. If I remember correctly, the 02 tranny is a bit weaker. Search on IH8MUD.com. Incredible resource!
I would say you were very lucky on your trip. WD and sway control are required on these trailers, especially on a short wheelbase vehicle like yours.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
I think the instablity that was felt was from the lack of WD... any vehicle without WD that squats and keeps weight off the tires would be iffy in a crosswind. 22ft should be no problem with the LC or the lx470 WITH proper WD setups.
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 311
I would suggest calling Andy Thomson at CanAm RV in Ontario...sb able to Google phone.

Even though some may disagree with some of Andy's tow rigs...I think most would agree that he has good insight into what you can do to prep your vehicle to make it as capable as it might be. I have a 2004 LC (no AS) and have talked to Andy about tow set-up...he has some good experience/ideas/input.

Not meant to re-start tow vehicle "wars" Tom R
__________________
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post

I have a 2002 Lexus LX470

I like the 25', 28' and 27' models but I don't think the LX470 is the proper vehicle for towing these trailers.
Professional set up and appropriate connection hardware is key.

Have a look at this work of art. Trailer Sway Elimination Guaranteed - Hensley® the ONLY trailer hitch guaranteed to totally eliminate trailer sway.
__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
My LX470 shows a maximum towing weight of 6500#.

Thanks for the welcome, I have been reading a lot on this forum and others concerning tow vehicles etc. and have learned quite a bit, however, there is a great deal more information I could use on RV'ing. I'll have to start a few blogs.
__________________
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
 
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Welcome to the forums.
What does your owner's manual say the tow weight rating is?

I would say you were very lucky on your trip. WD and sway control are required on these trailers, especially on a short wheelbase vehicle like yours.

Well, perhaps on a lighter vehicle but a Landcruiser is much heavier than a comparable sized vehicle. The trailer did not move the cruiser around on the road but you could feel it occasionally.
__________________
bcripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
I think the instablity that was felt was from the lack of WD... any vehicle without WD that squats and keeps weight off the tires would be iffy in a crosswind. 22ft should be no problem with the LC or the lx470 WITH proper WD setups.
Marc

I had some pretty severe crosswinds on my small trip and I thought I would have more trouble but didnt. My problems were more related to the ruts in the road caused by semis. The trailer would bounce in and out of them. I think a hensley for my trailer is too much but on a big dog then yea probably.
__________________
bcripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,601
Images: 1
DODGE tells me (owners manual) that my 7,500-lb 3/4T diesel needs a WDH when trailer tongue weight exceeds 350-lbs.

What does TOYOTA/LEXUS have to say?

A HENSLEY (or Pro-Pride) isn't too much on a Bambi. Size is a bit irrelevant, IMO. The tail wags the dog, and even a "small" trailer can overwhelm a "big" TV (which, with that short wheelbase and too-high COG, a LC or LX470 is not).

Seems you're already "tired" of having the TT steer the TV (highway ruts).
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What car do you tow? classic310 Classic Motorhomes 14 12-30-2008 08:47 AM
'64 Buick Tow car? 3Ms75Argosy Tow Vehicles 40 06-19-2008 02:02 PM
Stehl Car Tow Dolly n5wc Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 0 01-20-2006 09:22 PM
'69 deville tow car fermante Tow Vehicles 14 01-21-2005 11:49 AM
Perfect tow car ALANSD Airstream Motorhome Forums 3 10-11-2002 02:04 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.