Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Lemon law help

We have a 2013 Ford Epedition EL Limited. We have had from new in June 2013.

Since we have had our Airstream, we have noticed that periodically the digital display on the instrument cluster stops working. This means you cannot see the odometer, MPG, warnings for open doors etc... It is going in now for the 3rd time to have this looked at.

My questions are:

1. Are their any other Ford owners out there that have had the instrument cluster fail.
2. Is there a preferred way to connect the 7-way to the TV? Engine off, pointed down hill on a full moon or something..
3. Would such a fault count as a lemon law item in OR?

We love the car, but for some reason, after every other tow or so the cluster fails. To make it worse, when the AS is connected it works just fine...

Taking it in today for Ford to look at AGAIN! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just saw your post. I can't speak for a lemon law claim, but it sounds like you may need to plan more trips so you can document what you do when it works and when it fails. It sounds to me like you may have a broken wire somewhere, either between a sensor and the computer or maybe a poor ground connection.

Intermittent electrical problems are all sorts of fun to find. Does the cluster work fine for a day or two after a trip and then fail? Does it perhaps fail at the same point on the way to/from work? That's the information you will need to have any sort of chance of finding the problem.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have you spoken to a lawyer in your state? One would be the best and most reliable place to get legal advice.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Good luck on the LL... If you are past warranty... It is yours, most likely.

Honestly... For Ford issues, might be best to ask on a Ford forum...

If it is "yours" and repairs are in you, read on...for a few questions...

First question... Are you a capable mechanic and assume all on..

... Since this appears to happen around time you tow, it seems to me it might be caused by chassis torque.

... Have you checked then "grounds" between motor and frame and negative side of battery?
.... What happens if you at unhitched from AS, then "power brake" a few times?

The pony being trying to find a bad electrical connection which could Cause this problem... It might be in the wiring bundle where it enters the cab...
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have never seen this problem on any of my Fords and I have quite a few. Seriously doubt it will fall under the lemon law, but you need to see a lawyer for the answer to that question. I also suspect a loose connection on a ground somewhere. The fact that it only happens when towing lends credence to a weak chassis ground somewhere.

The new vehicles are great compared to the ones of 30+ years ago, in terms of reliability and creature comforts. But with that comes issues.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote