Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #21
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I ran across this thread last night and meant to add something, but got distracted and forgot.

My cousin had to move his RV recently to another state, but has no tow vehicle. He rented a Ram 3/4 ton from Enterprise for the job. I don;t remember what he paid, but it wasn't crazy expensive.

Just another option. Good luck.

Jim
Jim,

I did mention that route of renting from Enterprise, & we had Ram 2500 3/4 ton trucks during 2014-15, as well as Ford F250 3/4T in 2015. It just depends what they have in their fleet.

Also, folks should be aware that the Dodge Rams have their hitch receivers set really high at about 24-25" off the ground, whereas the Fords are at about 20" - so you may need a bigger drop on your tow bar with the Dodges, which in my case with a Hensley Cub & stinger - I had to order another 6" drop stinger for the Ram, & could've used an 8"!!

However, the word of warning is to NOT rent from the regular Enterprise car rental places - nor Hertz, Avis, Budget, Alamo etc. car rentals - because even if the vehicle is tow equipped, their contracts now explicitly prohibit towing. So if one were to have an accident while towing, then you'd be on the hook for the full cost, & it negates any insurance coverage you may have bought from them!

The bottom line is to rent from a company renting trucks for towing, & explicitly allow it.

Another option is Uhaul, but their 1/2 ton trucks only come with a 4-pin electrical, so you have no way to connect your trailer electrical brakes. They do sometimes have bigger box trucks with 7-blade RV connectors & hitches - but their trailers use surge brakes - so they usually only go with the minimum 4-pin electrical only for the lights on most of their trucks.

Best!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[QUOTE=Tom_T;1762602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Interesting that the Ecoboost turbo is a lower rpm for you. I'd had the very same Ecoboost 3.5L V6 (or whatever the 2013 version was), & it sure seemed to me that the F250s with the 5.4L V8's are less revvy & quieter on the grades - than was the V6 coming from ABQ to SoCal - but then my Avion is only about 3000 - 3500 lbs. wet & loaded.

It will be interesting to see if the turbo engines running at higher CR & greater stresses will be as robust & long lasting, as the old school normally aspirated motors have been.

Thanx for the feedback!
Tom
///////
Hi, last year we took a cross country trip of over 13,000 miles. First tow with my F-150. The Ecoboost has a flat torque curve. Although there is no red line, The Ecoboost only turns so fast. Less RPM than a naturally aspirated engine. There was no grade that my Ecoboost couldn't maintain it's cruise control set speed and never sounded like it was working hard. My Lincoln would hold it's speed pretty well, but it would be screaming in second gear.

Note: Ford recommends using premium fuel with heavy loads or while towing. To this day, my truck has only had Regular fuel.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #23
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Jim,

I did mention that route of renting from Enterprise, & we had Ram 2500 3/4 ton trucks during 2014-15, as well as Ford F250 3/4T in 2015. It just depends what they have in their fleet.

Also, folks should be aware that the Dodge Rams have their hitch receivers set really high at about 24-25" off the ground, whereas the Fords are at about 20" - so you may need a bigger drop on your tow bar with the Dodges, which in my case with a Hensley Cub & stinger - I had to order another 6" drop stinger for the Ram, & could've used an 8"!!

However, the word of warning is to NOT rent from the regular Enterprise car rental places - nor Hertz, Avis, Budget, Alamo etc. car rentals - because even if the vehicle is tow equipped, their contracts now explicitly prohibit towing. So if one were to have an accident while towing, then you'd be on the hook for the full cost, & it negates any insurance coverage you may have bought from them!

The bottom line is to rent from a company renting trucks for towing, & explicitly allow it.

Another option is Uhaul, but their 1/2 ton trucks only come with a 4-pin electrical, so you have no way to connect your trailer electrical brakes. They do sometimes have bigger box trucks with 7-blade RV connectors & hitches - but their trailers use surge brakes - so they usually only go with the minimum 4-pin electrical only for the lights on most of their trucks.

Best!
Tom
///////

He must have rented from the commercial truck division. Looks like you can rent there for personal use set up to tow "by the rules". Besides, he's a minister and not accustomed to "breaking the rules".

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
He must have rented from the commercial truck division. Looks like you can rent there for personal use set up to tow "by the rules". Besides, he's a minister and not accustomed to "breaking the rules".

Jim
I'm not sure I follow this post of yours Jim - but yes, I was trying to be clear that it is the Enterprise Commercial Rentals (Enterprise Truck Rentals as some call them) - & NOT their neighborhood or airport car rental locations.

Their commercial rentals do allow towing.....just to be clear.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
I'm not sure I follow this post of yours Jim - but yes, I was trying to be clear that it is the Enterprise Commercial Rentals (Enterprise Truck Rentals as some call them) - & NOT their neighborhood or airport car rental locations.

Their commercial rentals do allow towing.....just to be clear.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
It just means that I'm thick . Somehow I missed the part about Enterprise commercial rentals and towing.. Humble apologies. No offence intended.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #26
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
It just means that I'm thick . Somehow I missed the part about Enterprise commercial rentals and towing.. Humble apologies. No offence intended.

Jim
None taken Jim.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear about which it's okay to rent & tow.

When we first got our Avion in 2012, I too was still thinking it was like the old days when you could rent from the "regular" car rental places & tow with them. But when I checked with all the usual suspects, they all said that their contracts now specifically forbid towing. Some said that they had too many inexperienced folks towing & causing damage, while others blamed it on their insurance carriers.

Hertz Commercial also rents TVs, but you have to set up a heavy duty commercial account with their expensive annual insurance & credit line - just too much BS for most small businesses anyway.

Both Penske & Budget Truck rentals only allow towing with their trailers or car dollies.

I think I've covered most all the rental TV options that I explored.

So Enterprise Commercial is the only rented TV ticket today ..... for now anyway!

Also, their crew cab pick-up trucks aren't all slathered with their advertising logos, like UHaul & the others - just plain trucks (better for their resales). So you look like it's your own TV.

Best!
Tom
///////