Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Just a few points - Avoid any significant grade or you may have an exciting ride downhill with the braking capability of a lawn tractor or even a vintage tractor. Also, when you are that close to the front of the trailer, you cannot see to back it up. You need a good spotter with a cell phone ecause you are blind.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
I use a 3 point attached hitch to move my AS with my John Deere 4400 tractor once in a while with no issue but I don't think I'd try it with our lawn tractor. Our property is way too steep. I'd end up in the ocean.

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
Just a few points - Avoid any significant grade or you may have an exciting ride downhill with the braking capability of a lawn tractor or even a vintage tractor. Also, when you are that close to the front of the trailer, you cannot see to back it up. You need a good spotter with a cell phone ecause you are blind.
Have breakaway cable in hand while moving with lawn tractor.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have used a skidloader to move my stuff around. I have a ball and a bracket that I bolt to the bucket. A skidloader has 4 wheel drive and it turns on a dime because of the controls to move it uses joy sticks instead of a steering wheel.
It can pull it up and down hills in the grass or mud or pavement. It's also a pretty safe way to move a trailer in a tight area.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I thought about using my atv but I know it won't take the toung weight with that set up it could work. But I use my John Deer 30 tractor to move it around. Works great.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I use a little Kubota 0-category,recently moved trailer up hill to new shelter,had plenty of power,however on the hill,had to steer with the brakes,this was even with the weights on front. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Never try to move a trailer with a lawn tractor. The trans-axle is not meant to move that much weight even if a dolly such as was previously pictured is used. The brakes on a yard or lawn tractor are only a 2 inch disk with a pad thats only 1/2 in wide and 1 inch long and really are only meant to stop the tractor. Now if you are gonna use a BOBCAT type loader with the setup Bluto has,by all means go for it. AN 8N ford or any tractor that size will also do the trick. There are also electric dollys on the market that have brakes incorporated in them that work very well also.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
Agreed on the grade. I primarily use the lawn mower to move the AS in/out of the "tight slip" so that I can work on it. This keeps me from having to bring the X5 into the back yard and hook up to the Hensley just to move the AS 20 feet.

As to stressing the lawn mower, it easily moves the AS on the level with it's hydrostatic drive which also acts in breaking; when mowing the lawn the hydrostatic drive is subjected to more stress in reversing direction than when I move the AS; in fact I NEVER use the brake on the mower to start and stop as the hydrostatic drive does it all. As long as the AS is on an essentially level surface the mower has no problem handling it.

When I manuever with the mower if I am not sure of the AS position I just step off, go look, step back on and move several feet, step off, go look, etc. until I have the AS in position. I has worked well.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

I have a swiveling wheel that bolts onto the front jack of the trailer. I believe it came with the trailer. Could not this be used to support the trailer's front end when used on a hard, flat surface and use the tractor for pushing it into place?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I have a Kubota B7200 4wd tractor with a 3 point hitch... Does any one know if this will safely move my stream? I know that it has plenty of power... It pulled my van and trailer before with no tounge weight.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
I think your Orange B7200 weighs about 1,300 lbs. Not sure I'd want to try to stop on a slope with a 25' A/S. But then again Plant City is fairly flat....
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote