Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
late 60s or early 70s tow vehicle

Okay now that I have my 70 Safari 23foot, what type of tow vehicles from that era were used, mainly cars. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Okay now that I have my 70 Safari 23foot, what type of tow vehicles from that era were used, mainly cars. zz
For most towing a passenger car was used. This was the case until the early 1980's when the full sized cars were downsized. Pickups and SUV's replaced the car at that time, except for the Suburban which was used in both time frames.

The exception would be on a rough caravan in which a pickup with four wheel drive and high ground clearance would make a better choice.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I might consider buing a car of that era. Any favorites? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi zig'

here is a short list for ya!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...les-16089.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hey Zig

Typically big Chryslers, GM's and Ford cars. Impala's, Ford LTD's and Chryco Imperials, but also many of their other models. Station wagons were popular because they were big enough for the family to travel and still offered cargo space. And of course Caddy's were a very popular tow vehicle for those who could afford them and they were typically bought by people who were willing to spend the bucks for all the options and maintained them very well.

If you do go down this route buy the best one you can find that's either already restored or in extremely good original condition. I can assure you that restoring a vintage car is far more expensive and time consuming than a travel trailer.

If possible try to find one that has the towing package. That would include a quality hitch although you may need to have a new one put on anyway given the old one is 40 years or so old and, well, you don't want anything to happen to the Safari.

You want one with disc brakes up front if you can find one and if not there are lots of conversion kits readily available. By 1970 though most of the bigger cars had disc brakes as an option and anyone buying a car for towing back then would likely have ordered them.

You'll need to add a transmission cooler if there is not one already installed. Cheap to do.

The larger the car the more likely you are to find nice options like tilt, A/C, power windows and locks, tinted glass etc.

There are a lot of these cars available but make sure you have anything you are considering buying checked thoroughly by a mechanic who knows what your using it for, and again, buy the best one you can find/afford.

You could also consider International's of the period, GM Suburbans, and some others I'm sure will chip in with their suggestions. Many of these were bought to tow trailers as well and were reasonably well optioned although they were nothing like the cars for quiet ride and overall comfort. But they were pretty OK for their day and would work well for what you want.

Keep us posted as you do your search. If you need suggestions as to where to look let us know.

Barry
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Your car choice depends on how high end you want to go.

Back in 1965 we were tent camping next to an Airstream pulled by a Rolls Royce.

They brought their butler too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1971 21' Globetrotter
glen carbon , Illinois
Towed my 71 from St. Lou area to Wash and Oregon ,with a 67 Fleetwood.Had a great time Have since sold caddy and pull now with 3/4 ton. Better.
silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Your car choice depends on how high end you want to go.

Back in 1965 we were tent camping next to an Airstream pulled by a Rolls Royce.

They brought their butler too.
I wonder if the butler had to sleep in the car?

Some people have a tough life when they rough it - what a site heading down the highway though. An RR with an AS tucked in behind.

Barry
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I bought a '71 Chev Blazer new and towed several trailers with it. Best combination was with a '67 Caravel. In those years, we were beginning to see pickups used as tow vehicles, especially out west. A nice Chev Cheyenne 1/2 ton with 350 would tow your Safari very nicely. Some of those had air, tilt wheel, and power everything. Trick is to find a good one. I tow my '68 Tradewind with a '64 Pontiac Star Chief on occasion and it does a good job, too.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Barry, Don't hold your breath, but I've got my eye on an '86 Rolls Silver Spur that's for sale in Portland. It would probably tow the Tradewind
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Ooooohhhh - won't that be fun. Good luck Darol.

If I were to do that the second trip for it, after the first one getting it home, would be my wife and friends using it to get to the funeral home for my viewing I'm afraid.

It's not that Donna doesn't have a sense of humor but ...........

Barry
Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I wonder if the butler had to sleep in the car?

Some people have a tough life when they rough it - what a site heading down the highway though. An RR with an AS tucked in behind.

Barry
Barry,

I was 5 or 6 when I saw that. I did not think of it then but I've wondered since where the butler slept.

P.S. He served hot dogs and Mac & cheese for dinner. I remember that as we were having the same and my Mother said. "See, we're eating like the rich folks." Of course we were in a VW beetle with a garage sale tent. But eating like the Rockafellers.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Milo

That's hilarious. What a thing to remember. No wonder you bought an Airstream. You were brought up with good taste right from the start.

Much to my wife's dismay mac and cheese and veggie wieners are still one of my top two food groups . It's tough to stick to a diet when those are the things I cook up for myself 3 or 4 days a week for lunch.

Barry
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Ooooohhhh - won't that be fun. Good luck Darol.

If I were to do that the second trip for it, after the first one getting it home, would be my wife and friends using it to get to the funeral home for my viewing I'm afraid.

It's not that Donna doesn't have a sense of humor but ...........

Barry
Barry,

Check out the American ebay. Rolls Royces from the '70's & '80's are surprisingly low priced and with your strong Looney...

Mrs. 57 can be wheelin a Rolls around town and thinkin you finally did something right.

Milo

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Back during that era, I towed my 22' Holiday Rambler with a 1973 Gran Torino station wagon with a 351 Cleveland. The trailer weighed roughly what your new Safari weighs.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Milo

I actually married a car person. Her brothers were building hot cars and the only way I could hang out at their shop was if I had a hotrod, was buidling a hotrod, or was part of the family. I was building a hotrod but it was so brutal compared to theirs that the option was to date the cute sister. Best thing I ever did. She's been my best bud and partner forever.

So she is anxiously awaiting the completion of the 70 SS Chevelle, the twin to the one I sold to her surprise and my grief, many years ago. Yep, big block, 4 speed, smoky burn outs and all.

Although she latched onto her 740i pretty quickly when I left the purchase of her commute car up to her so hmmmmmm, you might have something there after all.

I just remember reading an article in the local newspaper several years back where a fellow was restoring one and commented that it was several thousand dollars to redo the brakes.

I do know of a fellow in our area who has taken a mid fifties Bentley that was a real beauty and popped the power train out, installed a C5 Corvette engine, an OD tranny, and uses it for their holiday trips. This keeps getting better the more I think about it.

Actually, I do need to get her Chevelle done BECAUSE just on Monday a 1957 Olds 88 2 door Hardtop, original owner, excellent condition, showed up for sale locally. Of all the 567 GM cars, including my own Poncho, I love the Oldsmobiles. There's just something about them - tough yet slinky looking. Then the Caddy, then my Pontiac. I already have it in my sights but it will be long gone by the time I get her car done if I even get it out the door this summer. And given I currently can't drive, and I don't have anywhere to properly "hide" it, well, you get the situation.

But I can see that Olds out front of the Flying Cloud, slammed on airbags, a set of wide whites and wires or flippers, good tunes happening and I get all sweaty when those thoughts cross my mind.

Barry
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Barry, Barry Barry. (Said shaking his head sadly.)

I have three Harleys, 3 4X4's, 1 10wheel drive and 2 cars. How can I do this and be happily married?

Momma mentions she'd like a luxury car and Momma gets a Lincoln in the driveway. Big surprise! "It's cause I love you Honey and want you to be happy."

Momma's happy and thrilled and Milo keeps on collecting cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Trust me on this one Barry. Let the Mrs. find her very own Rolls in the driveway and she'll bring that Olds home for you and you might even get real meat Hot Dogs and extra cheese on your Mac & Cheese.

When she's not looking you can slap a trailer hitch on it too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
How about a big Chrysler convertable?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
How about a big Chrysler convertable?
How about a big Buick convertible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April - July, 2007 278.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	55205  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:

P.S. He served hot dogs and Mac & cheese for dinner. I remember that as we were having the same and my Mother said. "See, we're eating like the rich folks."
WHAT!! No Grey Poupon?
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote