Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #71
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
yep, that towball bracket is still what's being supplied with the Defenders.

We are thinking about trading in our two Defenders for one of the 130s with the pickup truck crew cab. Since I now know every system on them, it would be easiest for me to stay with one brand. I do all my own repairs. Constantly.

In the USA last week, I was gazing upon a Jeep Rubicon with four doors. I was thinking how easy it would be to get a pressure washer under that design.

Want to hear something sad? Our Defenders are just about at the end of their useful life, Our D-90 softop only has a little over 20K miles, the other about 28. The salt here eats the steel, and a 2005 model that lived on this road would be gone whether we drove it for the last seven years or not. Mileage doesn't matter in this environment. People here will leap to buy a US imported car with 200,000 highway miles on it over a locally owned car with 20,000 miles. We sold a 98 Expedition with 200K miles that we brought down with us, for $ 10K and it didn't take long to sell. Within six months of moving here I had opened up three of the doors and taken the drivers seat out to fix electrical problems. I had to replace all the brake lines, and then the starter. The bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the flange rusted through. I had them welded once, and then when they broke again, on both sides, we sold the truck to a local mechanic.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

Whitby , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
yep, that towball bracket is still what's being supplied with the Defenders.

We are thinking about trading in our two Defenders for one of the 130s with the pickup truck crew cab. Since I now know every system on them, it would be easiest for me to stay with one brand. I do all my own repairs. Constantly.

In the USA last week, I was gazing upon a Jeep Rubicon with four doors. I was thinking how easy it would be to get a pressure washer under that design.

Want to hear something sad? Our Defenders are just about at the end of their useful life, Our D-90 softop only has a little over 20K miles, the other about 28. The salt here eats the steel, and a 2005 model that lived on this road would be gone whether we drove it for the last seven years or not. Mileage doesn't matter in this environment. People here will leap to buy a US imported car with 200,000 highway miles on it over a locally owned car with 20,000 miles. We sold a 98 Expedition with 200K miles that we brought down with us, for $ 10K and it didn't take long to sell. Within six months of moving here I had opened up three of the doors and taken the drivers seat out to fix electrical problems. I had to replace all the brake lines, and then the starter. The bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the flange rusted through. I had them welded once, and then when they broke again, on both sides, we sold the truck to a local mechanic.

Are all 130's HiCap? I wouldn't touch one without the uprated tow package... Also, an Ifor Williams cap to keep your stuff dry and secure.

Jeeps are nice for ease of finding parts, etc. Not a very unique vehicle though.. for me, at least, driving a rare vehicle is most of the appeal and makes the roadside repairs worth it.

If you're not adverse to an interesting weekend with three friends, try getting a galvanized chassis put under your trucks - and replace the harness with a Painless waterproof model.

I'm in Canada and the salt eats trucks up here too. Within a year, I had rust eating my brake light bar and roll cage, and in three years I've got a hole in my rear crossmember. The Galvanized chassis is already on order.

If you do a little prep and fab up a quick frame to hold the body, you can strip a Defender in a day. It takes two days to put it back together though.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #73
one of those

2011 27 FB International
We wouldnt be using our Defenders to tow an airstream. We use them to tow a couple small boats we have here. I have towed our 25 ft. Contender with the D-90, many times. max speed here is 40 mph, but the roads are mostly too rough to do that for long. This is with a simple receiver welded to a plate bolted to the rear cross member. Don't try this at home.

and not only does it pull it up the ramp, I reverse the hitch and put it in a front receiver on a custom front bumper, and I push this trailer up a dirt road into an uphill driveway, around two 90 deg. turns.

And I do not recommend it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
We have two 2005 Land Rover Defenders ( the real Land Rovers)
Well, successor to the real Land Rovers, the Series IIa.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #75
1 Rivet Member

Whitby , Ontario
Quote:
We wouldnt be using our Defenders to tow an airstream. We use them to tow a couple small boats we have here. I have towed our 25 ft. Contender with the D-90, many times. max speed here is 40 mph, but the roads are mostly too rough to do that for long. This is with a simple receiver welded to a plate bolted to the rear cross member. Don't try this at home.

and not only does it pull it up the ramp, I reverse the hitch and put it in a front receiver on a custom front bumper, and I push this trailer up a dirt road into an uphill driveway, around two 90 deg. turns.

And I do not recommend it.

Great pic!

I've got the NAS style hitch on my 90...

rear crossmember | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Seems to work really well.. I push a few things around with the front pintle on my military as well...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Don;

Mine is a '94 and I'm looking to get $18k for it.

-Hans
Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #77
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I'm about to try to do my first clutch slave cylinder replacement on this 05 D-90.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #78
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Thank you all for thoughts and opinions, as I am new to all this the advise has been great, we are going to get a F250 Diesel for the 30 foot and not worry about if the LR3 can handle, also suggested by the Airstream Dealer as he felt you are at the Tipping Point with the LR3, why take the chance.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
Hi I am a newbee
just found this post,
I have an LR4 and two border collies looking for an airstream
to take with us to sheep herding trials.
I was thinking about getting a cloud 25' with black leather
(good for the dogs) than my dream got smashed when I found the
hitch weight capacity is only 550lbs
The cloud hitch weight is 835lbs. On another post people have said
to use wds hitch. However the LR4 in the manual say not to use one.
I am concerned if I use one and get in an accident i will be sol with the
insurance company. any ideas?
I guess another option is to go with a flying cloud 23' FB which has
a much lighter hitch weight? or a 22FB sport even lighter
than I give up the dream of the 25' cloud. I also looked at the interstate
but they are too expensive and have very little room.
I do love my LR4 it is a very comfortable car has been reliable other than minor maintance issues covered under warranty.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Contact Andrew Thomson at CAN AM RV in London, ON.

Can-Am RV :: Towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #81
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44
Hi I am a newbee
just found this post,
I have an LR4 and two border collies looking for an airstream
to take with us to sheep herding trials.
I was thinking about getting a cloud 25' with black leather
(good for the dogs) than my dream got smashed when I found the
hitch weight capacity is only 550lbs
The cloud hitch weight is 835lbs. On another post people have said
to use wds hitch. However the LR4 in the manual say not to use one.
I am concerned if I use one and get in an accident i will be sol with the
insurance company. any ideas?
I guess another option is to go with a flying cloud 23' FB which has
a much lighter hitch weight? or a 22FB sport even lighter
than I give up the dream of the 25' cloud. I also looked at the interstate
but they are too expensive and have very little room.
I do love my LR4 it is a very comfortable car has been reliable other than minor maintance issues covered under warranty.
My experience based on the research i did is not only is the weight a issue, the wheelbase on the LR4 may be too short to pull a 25 foot as you end up having the tail wag the dog. Others may have more to contribute but if you go this way you may wish to install a sway control hitch from Pro Pride, which will make all the difference.
We ended up getting a F250 as was uncomfortable with the weight and the wheelbase issue. Have more conversations with your Airstream Dealer Service Department as they may have proven alternatives. Best of Luck
Brian - BDE
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
I'll just add my towing experience with a 2005 LR3. I do not have an airstream however have towed owned and towed over the last 6 years have owned and towed a toy hauler popup, a 3,800# 21' hard side, and now a 25' 5,000# Lance travel trailer. I also use my Rover for offload adventuring so it is set up with sliders larger tires and a winch hidden in the front bumper. My newest trailer when fully set up for camping weighed in at 5'100# and I had a hitch weight of 540#. I use a Sherline tongue scale to check it out every now and then.

I am I also using the new Anderson weight distribution hitch with this setup and it has been a incredibly easy to set up and the performance was has been great so far. Last weekend I towed on two days with wind advisories of 30 to 50 mph gusts and it towed like an arrow. Adding the weight distribution also moves some weight back to the front tires as well as helps with the bounce that you get between trailer and tow vehicle.

One of the best features of this hitch for the Land Rover platform is that it only weighs in at #50 instead of the 80# to 100# of some of the other WDH setups.

I will say that I am sure there are better towing platforms but none that will allow me to adventure like I do with mine once I get there
Old 05-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCanada View Post
This is a bit late to the game, but hopefully will clear up some of the confusion...

My truck - it's a Land Rover LR4 - pretty much the same as an LR3 with more horsepower, and a smoother torque curve. The tow ratings are identical.

The difference between the two ratings for the hitch:
The 550 lbs limit is for dead weight on the tongue.
The 770 lbs limit if what the removeable receiver is capable of.

Go by the tongue weight of 550 lbs, not the 770 lbs.

Ok, so it says in the manual that a weight distribution hitch is not recommended.

It's a European thing.. They don't allow them typically, depending on what country you're in, so they discourage them for a variety of reasons.

Yes they will work fine, and yes you can exceed the 550 lb limit on the dead tongue weight by using one.

In practice, you should be able to get ~1100lbs using a good quality weight distribution hitch.. Of course, you're going your own way here, but experience has told me that there's no problem - as long as you are smart about how you drive, keep the speed down, etc. YMMV

For a weight hitch, I highly recommend the Hensley Arrow with sway control and their TruControl Gold brake controller.

I've got 950 lbs (weight distributed) on the tongue, and am towing 7400 lbs (loaded) for my trailer - a 36' Wildwood Heritage Glen 312 QBUD.

No problems, tows straight as an arrow (no pun intended). Never had any issues with the removeable hitch receiver...

However, I am a very safe driver and follow the rules of thumb at all times. (ie. DO NOT try to tow this much weight in high range if driving under 15 mph for extended periods (like making your way through a child-infested trailer park), etc..)
Don, wondering if you are still around and can give an update on how the Hensley Arrow is working with your setup? I love that hitch and almost bought one except for the weight of the hitch setup. -Craig
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #84
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
Hi, Folks:
I have owned MANY land rovers from NAS D90- NAS D110, RR Classic, DI, DII, P 38 RR, MKIII RR, and even some Series IIA's, but now that we are looking at a 25' EB AS, I am now worried about the LR3 with a Curt hitch on Kaymar rear bumper.

It isn't just the weight, even though it is a concern as my truck is loaded with weight from off-road gear, but I am worried about stability, stress on the truck (already lifted with Johnson Roads, and 33" tires). Considering an F250, but when you have been a rover guy, it is a HARD decision. Bottom line, I have two kids that are more important for the love of the green oval. So a switch to the blue oval may be in order.

Here is a pic of the truck with our previous trailer.

[/URL][/IMG]