Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
Land Rover Discovery Td6

Anyone out there towing a mid-sized Airstream (27') with a newer Discovery with the Turbo Diesel engine? I'm currently towing with a Mercedes GL Bluetec diesel, which is wonderful, but Mercedes doesn't put that engine in its SUVs anymore, and I'm looking for a replacement in the next year or so. I looked at the Discovery today, and was pretty impressed. Would like some input from those with first-hand experience.

Noted that the pre-wired trailer connection is not the standard 7-pin. Is there an adapter?

Thanks.
Allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I too am towing with GL350 that I have about 145k miles on. Planning on replacement in next year or so and was intrigued with the Discovery on paper. I saw the cutaway of the new ford designed v6 diesel at the car show and was disappointed to see two timing belts on the engine though.

The wheelbase of the land rover is a little less than the Mercedes GL class but not by much.

Anyone here have experience with it towing. If so do you have the optional air suspension? I have come to really enjoy this feature on the GL.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
Discovery

We are all in the same boat. I loved my 2008 and 2012 MB 350 diesel GLs, but the last one was getting long of tooth, so I bought a 2018 Discovery HSE Luxury with the Td6 engine. No experience yet, as we haven't had occasion to go anywhere this season. Here are a couple of observations, however. First, just as with the GL, you'll need the adapter between the 7 pin outlet on the vehicle and the tailer in order to generate enough resistance for the lights to work. Second, if you get the air suspension, which I did, the manual will advise against using a load distributing hitch. The experts at Can Am advise otherwise, so I am going with their recommended hitch. Third, I had a heck of a time matching my electric brake controller (a Curt, which I had used on both my GLs), and the Discovery. The local shop I used just couldn't find a harness that would match both the controller and the car, so with the very forthcoming support of the national Land Rover people, the LR dealer in Santa Fe, NM, took on the search. They ordered a Prodigy 2 controller and the proper harness and mounted it for me, and all seems to be fine. As we speak, I'm setting it up to get it properly matched to the car. Sorry I can't provide more answer from experience, but I'm optimistic, as the Can Am people told me that the Discovery is one of the best tow vehicles I could have chosen to pull my 2013 27' Flying Cloud.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Td6

Thanks for your update. I was wondering if one of the wireless brake controllers would be a good setup also.

Super curious to hear your towing experience compared to the GL350. I have really enjoyed my GL but now at 145k and between now and 200k I think I will have a round of $$$ expensive emission control repairs.

Keep us updated,

tks
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
Discovery Td6

Well, the verdict is in! We did a 300 mile, six-night shakedown last week, and the Discovery is all we had hoped for. Plenty of power, and with the 8-speed transmission (versus the 6-speed in the GL), strikingly better fuel consumption. The air suspension works great. As I mentioned in the previous post, we did use a weight distributing hitch, as recommended by CanAM, and it seems to be the ticket. The Prodigy brake controller is very smooth, and works great. I don't think you will be at all disappointed if you replace your GL with the Discovery.