Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Fort Worth , Texas
Land Rover Discovery Sport as TV?

I'm considering buying a LR Discovery Sport (towing capacity of 4,400 lbs) to use as TV for my 1967 Caravel (dry weight of 2,350 lbs).

I'm not sure if this setup will work because of the tongue weight - the DS has a max tongue weight of 220 lbs and the Caravel tw is 250 lbs. Is the tongue weight based on the receiver? Can I change the receiver or use a weight distributing system to balance the weight?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a complete newbie to towing and am trying to wrap my head around all the pieces.
JulesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Based on the Land Rover website the tongue weight of the factory hitch is 220lbs. If you use the Curt hitch the tongue weight is 675lbs. Just my opinion but get the Curt hitch and just dont exceed the rear axle weight rating loaded with people and gear you are GTG.

I have 2 Range Rover Sports and the factory hitch is crap on them. I upgraded to the Curt hitch and no longer worry about it.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the reply Ed. Did your your RR Sport come with a factory installed hitch? If so, who replaced it for the Curtis hitch for you? Do you use weight distribution or anti-sway when towing?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesTX View Post
Thanks for the reply Ed. Did your your RR Sport come with a factory installed hitch? If so, who replaced it for the Curtis hitch for you? Do you use weight distribution or anti-sway when towing?

I installed the wiring and have a GAP tool so I was able to program the trailer settings in the computer. I installed the hitch myself. It was super easy to install. I own IE Rovers in SoCal so rovers are all I do. As for anti sway I just installed the Hayes Sway Master electronic sway control, have not had a chance to test it out but the few reviews out there were all good (just came out a couple years ago). I went that route because with air suspension you really dont need load leveling (they dont recommend it on rovers mainly because they are all wheel drive) I am nowhere near the tongue weight or the tow capacity of the Sport. The discovery sport does not have air suspension but at that low tongue weight you should be fine without load leveling. I would set it up first and see how she sits and drives.

Hope that helps.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the great info!